Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to book a trip to take my gf on for big halibut, any suggestions on a good gu

Default Looking to book a trip to take my gf on for big halibut, any suggestions on a good gu

I'm looking to book a trip for giant halibut to take my gf on this coming yr, suggestions on best time of yr to go, a good reputable guide, approx cost per day or any other pertinent info, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I recommend Ron Hurley of In2fishin guide service out of Homer.
    His boat brought in the winning derby fish a few years back.
    He has a nice boat and doesn't fish the chicken patches all day like a lot of other boats.
    Also consider Andy of crackerjack charters out of Seward. I've never heard a bad word about him .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do you have a particular area in Alaska in mind? Lodge/remote experience or day fishing?

Josh Brooks of Brooks Alaska Adventures in Homer. The guy is a big halibut (and winter king) fishing machine. I've also heard great things about Andy with Crackerjack.

Traditionally July and early August are the Best times to go after larger halibut in Lower Cook Inlet. That's usually when the big Derby winners are checked in.

what ever boat / guide stay on a 6 pack your chances are a lot better than a large party boat . an if you get the "" whole boat ""
    you will stand better odds on getting a large fish, the reason the boat captain only has to get a couple not 8 to 12 or more fish,
    there , lots of holes that have a couple of fish but fewer holes have a 8 to 12 or more fish, MY 2 CTS SID

To keep or release? Some Captains will try a lot harder if they know ahead of time you plan on releasing a very large one if you get one.
    Andy w Crackerjack even offers a free trip if you release one over 200lbs I believe.
    Redleader standing by

I hear Andy is no longer doing charters.

Alaska Premier Sportfishing
    907-235-2032

Box 1978 Homer, AK 99603
    Fax 907-235-2054
    venturess65@hotmail.com
    You might want to check them out at their new location.
    If you want to stay in Homer you want to fish with Josh Brooks on the Huntress. Just check out Back and Black on here.

Quote Originally Posted by predatorhuntr01 View Post
    I'm looking to book a trip for giant halibut to take my gf on this coming yr, suggestions on best time of yr to go, a good reputable guide, approx cost per day or any other pertinent info, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

gbflyer nailed it. Where do you want to start from, how long do you have, where do you want to stay, can you handle your own fish for processing, do you want a one species trip? Alaska is huge and the fishing area is even larger! Additionally halibut rules have changed for size and bag limits depending where you want to go.

It is much better if you want just large fish to get on a private charter. It's much more effective if the whole boat hasa the same idea, big halibut don't always hang with the masses.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

We're planning on an all day trip, after July 1st to take advantage of the lingcod being in season, then driving up to Denali then on to Fairbanks, this will be my gfs 1st trip to AK but I've been several times. We're looking at some ground to relocate up there.

Profish-n-sea out of Seward is a great operation.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Great suggestions for both Homer and Seward, if you really want big halibut, it's best to target them, the big ones may take a while to come to the boat, baits, and chum. Most likely you'll have to relocate after catching your lings and it'll cost you bottom time.

I went out with Crazy Rays and had a blast we fish for cod, halibut, bass and salmon price was 375
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I hear Andy is no longer doing charters.
    Andy is most definitely still doing charters

Glad to hear it! What does it look like for limit and days for Halibut this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Andy is most definitely still doing charters

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Glad to hear it! What does it look like for limit and days for Halibut this year?
    Last I heard it looked like the Charter crew was over allotment again..... I hope that's wrong
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I 2nd Crazy Rays out of Whittier. Great captain and crew clean boat and quality gear. We were on the bite when we were out. Not as long of a drive from Anchorage either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have some openings at the end of July for a 2 day lodge trip with Crazy Rays. Great fishing and food!
    PM me and will get info to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast