Thread: planning for a float in the brooks

Default planning for a float in the brooks

This coming fall will be my last here in Alaska, for now anyways (Gotta love the military life!) and my plan is to do a float hunt with a couple friends from work. My target is caribou and bear and I wanna make it into the brooks range since ive yet to go that far north. I've been doing some research and looking at many rivers. I originally wanted to try and do a river that was more remote, but after thinking about it, decided otherwise. I'm thinking since this will be my first true float hunt and first time in the brooks, it might be best to just stick to the Ivishak. and not to mention its going to be cheaper and little easier logistically. That's not set in stone, but that's the river Im leaning towards at this point. Ive talked to a few air charters and have some base plans to be dropped as far up river as possible then float back to the truck. Ive read a lot about it on here, and have seen a lot of good and bad. Just trying to pick through it all and get an honest and reliable opinion on the hunting conditions for this river these days. I know ill see other hunters, but a few other groups wont bother me. What are your recent experiences with this river? my main Questions are,

I have two different leave choices I can choose from to forecast and hunt, August 14th-August 30th Or August 28th-September 13th. (those dates include the travel days ill need to drive up and back from anchorage) Which one would you recommend? some pros and cons? which time slot can I expect to see more bou?

Ive heard airboats are running up there quite a bit, How far up river should I expect to see them?

Is the better hunting opportunities traditionally in the mountains along the river corridor or once we get out of them?

I've read that there has been a lot pressure and pushed the caribou away from the river over the past few years. Any thought or truth on this? and Is this there still a fair amount of bears in the area?

what species of fish call this river home? and any tips for what to throw at them would be greatly appreciated. ill be using spinning gear

Any other advice or wisdom you all would be willing to bestow upon a young hunter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for any input and all the help in advance!

-Very respectfully, Grant

Hi Grant,

You are asking a lot of questions that can be answered by using the search function in the forums. Not saying that to be a smart aleck, but to help you get what you are looking for. Folks here are reluctant to write the same info multiple times, and the Ivishak has been discussed here MANY times. I would start there, and use the info you glean from past forum posts to craft some really great questions. People are much more likely to invest in you if you have invested yourself in this hunt with a little more research.

Best of luck; you are certainly looking in the right place!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I've been digging around and will continue to do so. I'm pretty new to the forums and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I appreciate you replying and taking your time to give me some advice!

-Grant

http://airboatfishing.com/alaska_hunting.htm

Randy Quincy of Gold Rush Adventures does airboat hunts and drop off transports on the Ivashak. Might be a good option vs plane drop off, for price and weight. He probably knows as much about the river as anyone in the state.

Grant,

Hopefully by now your plan is well underway, but in case you are still looking for rivers in the Brooks Range, or for the benefit of others who are interested, you might check out our Master Rivers List, which catalogs over 500 rivers around the state. It's an alphabetical listing that also shows all the print and DVD resources that are focused on that river.

Best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay