Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

Whilst deer hunting this year, I came across a few of these. I found about three, always by themselves and growing around dead logs. I tried one and it had white flesh and was not sweet or bitter. Just wonder if any of you know what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the "ROYAL BLUE DEADLY POISON BERRY".........it has a delayed action. 120 days after tasted it is 100% fatal. (OK, I made that up, as I thought it was funny).

Looks like Clintonia uniflora (?). Where did you find it? Any photos or description of the plant?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Deer hunting where? Alaska (region)? Is color of berry in photo true?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I don't recall ever seeing that berry.........Thanks for posting that, here is the whole paragraph on that plant from your source.

USFS
    Queen's Cup
    Queen’s Cup / Blue Bead / Single-Flowered Clintonia
    Scientific Name: Clintonia uniflora
    Habitat: This plant grows in moist forests at lower elevations.
    Leaves: The leaves are 3 to 6 inches long. Each plant has 3 fleshy leaves with hairy edges.
    Flowers: In June, white flowers appear that are about 1 inch in diameter with 6 tepals.
    Fruit: In August, the plant develops a blue berry.
    Effects: Though eaten regularly by birds and animals, the berry may be toxic to people. Considering the berry is not palatable anyway, it is best to consider this berry inedible.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

I was on Admiralty island in early November. I should have taken a little more care to find the whole plant. I looked like it just stuck out of the ground.
    Eye, looks like you found it. It was the craziest blue. Just like my pic and the one in your reply.
    Just another amazing thing in our woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend eating it.
    #Resist