Thread: Beavertail, another brand or homemade blind?

Default Beavertail, another brand or homemade blind?

Just bought a POS 1648 riveted flat bottom. I want to get a real duck blind and make a serious duck boat. In the past I've just used 4x4 reeds on my 12 foot boat and done a shotty job with spray can camo. I've been sanding the "new" boat down, about to add a self etching primer, buy some stencils online, and borrow a sprayer to get the job done right. Anyways there are lots of different opinions on duck blinds. However, I respect the answers from this site as no one is a paid sponsor and generally gives honest opinions . Any advice on paint choice and a quality duck blind would be most appreciated . Thanks.

parker duck boat paint shot through a gun over a etched primer will last a long time and touch up is easy. stencil ? check out nat gear three colors is all you need light color first entire boat then dark colors x2 shot through 2 simple stencils last. reed and grass stencils can look cartoon-ish if not done right.

Thanks airboater. I heard good things about parker paint. Cant seem to find it in fairbanks. That camo looks nice and it cheaper than some of the other stencils I have looked at. Might just have to order it from cabelas in anchorage or have a buddy bring it up when he comes up north.

Would a gallon be enough for a base coat ? Then just a quart of the two other colors for the camo pattern.

yes gallon for base coat entire boat 16 footer plenty. shot thru a gun needs to be cut 10 % with mineral spirits two coats over your etch primer and it will be as good as factory. i didnt follow nat gear true colors i did sand tan base coat marsh grass for the first stencil (small pattern ) autumn gold (real light coat) second stencil ( large pattern ) parker offers more colors than what cabelas sells and they will ship to ak but you have to pay a haz mat fee what ever color you pick start light and go to dark parker paint 920 494 9676

Any pictures of how your boat came out with the paint job

Just got the Parker duck boat paint from a friend, who came up for the holidays. Still need to buy some stencils though. Will certainly post pictures when it's finished

This is my first post on here.

I built a blind for my grizzly tracker roughly four years ago and was able to covert it over to my gator trax. I used 3/4 electrical conduit and binimi brackets. Blind worked out great, traveled dam good as well. Can give you some info if you would like
    3.jpg00X0X_loG3WvtHiEV_600x450.jpg