Thread: Sage txl-f

Default Sage txl-f

Thinking about picking up a new fly rod for myself . Was wondering if anyone had any experience with the sage txl line up? Found a good deal on new rods for $350(good price is relative, I know some people think it's insane to spend this much on a rod), my wife being the biggest critic. Was looking at a 3 weight @ 7' 10". I have a sage one in 4 wt and was looking for something a little less stiff for dry flies and tight creeks on the Haul road. I plan to use it mostly for grayling up here, but I will also be making a trip down to Montana in June to fish for golden trout with my best friend for about a week. Anyways, input would be appreciated. Also if anyone has golden trout experience would love some info or pictures. I hear there tough to get to, told myself can be any worse than sheep hunting though

I've cast them and was impressed. I actually prefer the action to the One. In my mind they're the "successor" to the much praised LL series from years back, but with slightly (very slightly) more spine in the lower half to make them a little more forgiving if you tend to over-load rods a little when you first start out with one. Even though they didn't cost so much new and are over 20 years old now, used LL's can go for more (I've seen the 3WT in particular snapped up at $450) than the $350 price you're quoting. In my mind you're picking up a comparable rod in the txl-f for $100 below "market" for used 3WT LL's- a good buy any way you measure it. Ought to be just the right rod for your intended uses.

Thanks brownbear. Found the rod price at Madison river fly company, if your interested . Now I just need to figure out what reel to put on it . I know they say small reels are just for holding line but I do like a nice machined aluminum reel. I like the Abel TR light but have my apprehensions over a reel with no adjustable drag, while playing fish. It's a click pawl that you have to open up to adjust . The other reel I was looking at was a lamson guru. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunterosu View Post
    ...Abel TR light but have my apprehensions over a reel with no adjustable drag, while playing fish....
    I have the TR and my wife has a Guru. That situation is in flux, because she's always trying to steal my TR! Should tell you lots, right there. The TR is just a lot nicer build and finish. Pretty darned classy, as a matter of fact.

As for fighting fish, my wife and I both have our reels on LL 4WTs, and we use them all the time on saltwater beaches for pink salmon. Pretty ripping good time. The way I have the click and pawl adjusted on my TR, it's strong enough to prevent overruns when I strip line quick by hand or if I'm not fast enough to get your palm on the rim when a pink takes off. But I do have to use my palm on the rim for "drag." No nevermind once you develop the habit.

Just wanted to let you know I ended up getting the rod and am very pleased with my purchase . I'm excited to get some line on it and fish for some grayling this summer . I ended up buying a used Ross cla 1.5 off of ebay for $65 bucks. Not as pretty as an Abel, but couldn't pass up the price with free shipping and backing included. Thanks for your input , maybe when my boy gets a little older I'll pick up an Abel tr and give him my cla to destroy merry Christmas to ya.

Cool beans! I see a whole lot of fun in your future, especially with the prospect of fishing with your kid in the future. Enjoy!