Thread: Cabelas Spice Kits

Default Cabelas Spice Kits

I've always bought my sausage and snack stick kits from AK Butcher and plan to continue. However I was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about the Cabelas branded ones. I'm looking for the Teriyaki snack sticks and breakfast sausage

We like them so far. Cut the nitrate dosage in half though, otherwise most are too salty regardless of brand, hi-mountain, cabelas, etc....
    Get the Leggs brand pork sausage online for a great breakfast sausage imo.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I use the pepperoni, beer stick, and sometimes summer sausage mixes from Hi-Country, cabelas, or sportsmans. They are good.

I have tried the Cabelas branded ones and they are ok, but I have had others that taste better to me. I get most of my seasonings from Walton's you can find them online. They have a large variety of mixes and I like them better than the Cabela's branded ones.

+1 for the A.C. Legg.

I tried most all the others and everyone in my family likes theirs the best.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

im interested in making some teriyaki sticks similar to Indian valley meats, but wasn't sure if the kits would even come close.

Yes, but cut the pink sodium content in half.
    Have tried many stix and all are pretty good.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I used a Cabela's Teriyaki hunter stick kit my first shot at making my own with some Blacktail Deer. I didn't quite cut the mix by half but I cut it by 1/3 or so. They turned out so good that I won't be paying anyone to make hunter sticks anymore. I'd like to try some other brands and flavors this winter and see how they turn out.

I have had great results with High Mountain kits. I do a lot of hamburger jerky it is a great way to get the most out of your harvested animal. I use a jerky shooter from Cabela's.

I have tried the regular jerky, peppered, sweet & hot, and maple jalapeno. They all turned out okay, the regular was pretty bland, and the sweet and hot was not hot at all. That one reminded me of Jack Links. The maple jalapeno was even lacking with the maple. The pepperoni sticks were good, but we had to add more pepperoni flavoring for the second batch. Will be looking elsewhere for the next batch.

The best one I have had at Cabelas was the jalapeno summer sausage with hi temp cheese from Ak butcher and supply. Probably the one that most of my friends and family have liked as well.

These kits have been pretty helpful since I am just learning more about the process and am doing all of it in my oven. Maybe Santa will get me a smoker one day.

Has anyone worked with the Cabelas brat sausage, beer brat sausage, polish sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I use the pepperoni, beer stick, and sometimes summer sausage mixes from Hi-Country, cabelas, or sportsmans. They are good.
    Yep, what he said....

Try this place out called rebel butcher. You can find it online. Hands down the best mix I have ever tasted.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I buy many seasoning kits from AK Butcher Supply in Anchorage, or Sausagemaker.com, or from LEM. My favorite Summer Sausage is from Hi-Mountain, and Sportman's sells it for $20 where everyone else sells it for $25. I also get many recipes from posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum....great reading there!!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's