Thread: shipping antlers

Default shipping antlers

Anyone know the best method of shipping antlers out of state to Nebraska? I am going to be sending 3 60+ inche moose racks down. I am going to split the skull plates so they won't have the width. Just trying to find out what shipping would work best. Air or land?

I shipped a decent set of caribou antlers to my brother in Ohio. Went to UPS and had them pack them in a box with styrofoam "peanuts." They were split for the smae reason, width. Not the most economical but they made it in about 10 days with no problems by UPS ground.

Don't split the cap, saw each antler from the skull cap. If you can set one antler inside the other and tape together, and put protection on the tips, then you can mail them parcel post. Send the skull cap seperately. A taxidermist can put it all back together if a mount is going to be made. 60 inchers might be too big to set one antler inside the other, so you may have to send each antler seperately.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default DO NOT Send it via Parcel Post

I had either UPS or FedX send back my moose rack split along with the tanned hide, all in one box. I think the shipping charge was $80 from Anchorage to SE Michigan.

Whatever you do, DO NOT send it via the US Postal Service Parcel Post. If you send it parcel post, if there isn't room in the truck, it gets left behind until there is room. I had some work done on a rifle by a gunsmith out of state. He inadvertently sent it back parcel post. It was suppose to take 2 weeks. Lets just say it was more than two months and an insurnace claim before they found the package. And the post office CANNOT track a package. Once it leaves the depot, its MIA until it arrives. If we hadn't insurred the package, I'm sure I would have never seen it again.

Default Priority Mail

Send them Priority Mail, just as described, Taped together and points protected.

We have sent moose and caribou with no problems (split due to F&G rules) we used a marker to mark the points where they would line back up (just made things a little easier), Priority mail.

Please take lots of pictures of moose before splitting for ;your taxidermy dude. I had a lower 48 guy make my 68" moose into a 61" by angling the horns up. Had to take it apart and redo it. Just a word of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by nmhunter'swife View Post
    Please take lots of pictures of moose before splitting for ;your taxidermy dude. I had a lower 48 guy make my 68" moose into a 61" by angling the horns up. Had to take it apart and redo it. Just a word of caution.

If the skull cap was split right down the middle how did that happen? They usually line right back up the way they were before they were cut. He must have screwed up cutting the angle of the cap (on the bottom) to get them to fit flat on the form or panel for whatever you had done. Good thing he re-did it for you.

Default good info!

This is great information. Thanks to all for posting it. We are currently checking on similar information for shipping caribou antlers back. One question I have is whether anyone knows what kind of shipping facilities might be available in Prudhoe Bay. That is where we are flying in and out of and weren't sure what there was available in that area for shipping services.

Thanks.