Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions solicited: Purchasing Sno-Go

Default Opinions solicited: Purchasing Sno-Go

Folks...seeking knowledgeable input (even un-knowledgeable input is welcome ) on a potential sno-go purchase

Work schedule is likely to change soon so that next winter, I'll be in AK enough to justify a sno-go. Uses will likely be

- Primary: Transport to/from cabin on wintered-over ATV trail....this is likely to include some degree of hauling
    - Near-Primary: Winter hunting primarily for small game; infrequent trips for predator hunting;
    - Way low priority: Riding for sport / Mountain use

Considerations:

- It must be two-up; either designed that way or after-market two-up seat;
    - Rip-snorting power is not needed for the intended uses (my high-marking days are long gone)...but by the time my big-azz is on the sled and either a 2nd passenger or a sled behind, some ponies will be needed;
    - Good mileage (recognizing it's all relative) would be preferred;
    - While recognizing the security of pull-start / two stroke, that's not a priority;
    - Primary use will be in SC...where winter is apparently a variable commodity now-a-days
    - I don't mind manhandling a big machine while driving.......will prolly rely on shovels/come-alongs for getting unstuck rather than manhandling.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated since I haven't purchased a sno-go since the late '90's and simply don't know what new features actually live up to the marketing hype.

Look at Ski Doo Expedition Sport, Expedition, Skandic WT. Arctic Cat BearCat. Those all come with a variety of engines. I'm less familiar with Polaris or Yamaha utility sleds.

Good recommendations all. Check you local dealer for service availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Look at Ski Doo Expedition Sport, Expedition, Skandic WT. Arctic Cat BearCat. Those all come with a variety of engines. I'm less familiar with Polaris or Yamaha utility sleds.
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Buy a Skandic WT or SWT in either a 600 or 900 ACE and never look back.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Buy a Skandic WT or SWT in either a 600 or 900 ACE and never look back.
    Another vote for the above.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Wide track expedition with the 600 etec is the way to go. They handle light, go fast, haul a load well, and are very comfortable. They also dont get stuck much, and are easy to self unstuck if need be. Pull starts can be easily added too. A lot more stable with a wide track with a passenger. Personally I think they need to ditch the sport expedition, Its kind of a useless sled anymore. Also I believe they need to ditch the wt skandic, the only real difference between that and an expedition is the pogo's (which suck) and a very small gearing difference. Some friends like there bearcats but I've helped unstuck them and thats a whole different story. As for mileage on the etec 600, I can ride 100 miles a weekend and still be just under half a tank to half a tank. And thats with getting on it here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Wide track expedition with the 600 etec is the way to go. They handle light, go fast, haul a load well, and are very comfortable. They also dont get stuck much, and are easy to self unstuck if need be. Pull starts can be easily added too. A lot more stable with a wide track with a passenger. Personally I think they need to ditch the sport expedition, Its kind of a useless sled anymore. Also I believe they need to ditch the wt skandic, the only real difference between that and an expedition is the pogo's (which suck) and a very small gearing difference. Some friends like there bearcats but I've helped unstuck them and thats a whole different story. As for mileage on the etec 600, I can ride 100 miles a weekend and still be just under half a tank to half a tank. And thats with getting on it here and there.

I have both, the wide track expedition and a 2010 SWT 800 with 16,700 miles on it. Pogos are alright with me because I'm always hauling so don't much difference on the ride. The Expedition is the sweetest ride there is when it comes to trail riding!

There is no better utility sled than the Yamaha Viking Pro. It starts as reliably as any machine on the market, it's got great power and it's very comfortable. Fuel economy is very good and changing the oil once a season is probably overkill but it's easy and cheap insurance. The loads our machine has pulled is truly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Branr1 View Post
    There is no better utility sled than the Yamaha Viking Pro. It starts as reliably as any machine on the market, it's got great power and it's very comfortable. Fuel economy is very good and changing the oil once a season is probably overkill but it's easy and cheap insurance. The loads our machine has pulled is truly impressive.
    While theres no denying the quality and engineering of all Yamaha products, it's a bit, heck, a long stretch to say the VK Pro is the best utility sled out there. It won't hold a candle to the Skandics when it's time to bust trail in deep snow. And if it won't bust trail, it's not much of a utility sled, just call it a trail sled, of which there are numerous fine examples.
    There. I said it. Let the fun begin.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Personally I think they need to ditch the sport expedition, Its kind of a useless sled anymore.
    I disagree. We just bought one with a 900 ACE for my wife. Best fit for her use.

Look for a GOOD used low mileage unit that someone else took the hit to the checkbook on. The prices of sleds are crazy now days and the winters are definitely getting shorter. Any newer widetrack four stroke would be fine. I had a Bearcat four stroke and loved it. Plenty of power and would haul anything I needed while building a cabin. Was very comfortable and I could go play on it as well. The removable rear seat was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have to strongly disagree with Skidoo ditching the Expedition Sport. I'm up to 220 miles on my 15' 900 Ace version and am absolutely loving what it offers. It comes with a nice 2 up seat that's removable when you don't need it and gets remarkable fuel milage with still having 90 horse to do what you need it to. Thats plenty of horses for chasing predators and birds like I'm doing and did I say quiet? Wow is it.....yea don't understand why it should be eliminated from any line up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fan cooled machines are nice for towing and even riding double. They won't over heat, even in low snow conditions.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I ended up with the Expedition LE with the 900 ACE. It has the 20" track and low-hi gears that facilitate towing. I have done a little off-trail exploring and it floats pretty nicely in powder. If the Skandic is a 4WD pickup, the Expedition LE is a Suburban. Good two-up seating was also a plus. This is my first snowmachine so I have no opinion on the perfect engine, but the ACE is indeed very quiet. Skidoo 4 strokes have a pretty good record of cold weather starting, but some folks insist on having pull start capability. The ACE doesn't have that.

Personally I think they need to ditch the sport expedition, Its kind of a useless sled anymore.
    Useless?
    I absolutely love mine!
    Have you ever ridden one?
    Lots of useless sleds out there but in my book the expedition sport isn't one of them!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

In my opinion they are useless, the grand touring is the same sled just different a little, and if I wanted a narrow track I would be getting a renegade or summit. I have ridden them, they are trail pounders in my book. We have a vk pro also, that is also my primary freighting sled. The quality is insane on the yamahas, but offtrail they kinda suck. Mileage isn't as great but the new fuel injected ones take care of that. The SWT has its own niche and is a great sled for what it does. The expedition sport is just a weird sled and I would'nt be surprised if they ditched that sled in the future. The wide tracks does everything those do but better, hands down. As for the ace engines I believe they are good, its just my preference that for any sled im taking out remote and brush busting and overflow skipping im going with a 2 stroke for lightness and the power band. But my vk pro also gets up and goes, but that motor is based off a racing street bike of yamahas own descent. My carbed vk pro is a little cold blooded around -10 and colder, but if it has good fuel without water in it it will always start up.

I haven't ridden a newer grand touring but the expedition sport is nothing like the older grand tourings were.
    Mine is much lighter.
    My tracks is 1" wider than most stock sleds(16" wide) and at 154" X1.5"
    It does quite well off trail even in deep powder.
    The ACE motor is quiet and very torquey.
    I haven't hauled any extreme loads with mine but it seems up to the task.
    I certainly wouldn't trade mine for a Viking.
    To each his own!
    Long live the expedition sport. A great trail and off trail utility sled.
    The optional 2 up seat is nice also.
    For strictly a utility sled the scandics are hard to beat.
    For a medium duty utility sled that does well on/off trail it's a good option.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm with u Kris. I use my 2010 Skandic 800cc for my primary sled hauling firewood, hunting, and often just to ride. My 2013 Expidition sport 550 fan, 2 up seat, is my back up machine. Out in non- brush busting terrain the Exp Sport is fun.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the info. Interesting how things ebb and flow. "Back in the day", other than the elan, no-one wanted to touch a Ski-Doo product.....course, that "day" was some decades ago.

What about the Skidoo Tundra?

Sobie2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast