Thread: .25-06

Default .25-06

Anyone have experience with a .25-06 on caribou, black bear etc. It's an awesome deer round, but not sure how it would fare on caribou and black bear? Any input from people using this round? Thanks!

It works great on Caribou. I have a Browning A-bolt that has a few 'bou kills and have a Ruger Model 1 that should get some action in the coming season.

As far as Black Bear, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could load up some partitions that would do just fine. It's been said many times around here, the round is second to shot placement.

It kills them. other than my AR-10 it's the largest rifle I own and I have never had issues.

When I worked in Montana years ago, there was many an old crusty mountain man that swore by that round for elk....and they are plenty big. A good bullet oughta do the job just fine on bou and black bear.

I have taken hundreds of big game animals with a .270, but I will tell you there are time when it isn't enough. Caribou are larger than deer. Factor in a quartering shot, and you're gonna need a bunch more penetration. The 25-06 may come up short.....sometimes.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

A friend of mine has taken caribou, sheep, black bears, and even moose with the 25-06.

A good bullet through the lungs does the trick.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have used this round on everything from Antelope, Mule deer and elk. As with most small rounds 117 gr.... bullet placement is very important for larger game.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

SubPar.......

I've taken several black bears with a quarter-bore...specifically, a 257WBY with 100grn TSX's.

I would not hesitate at all to take a 25-06 black bear hunting, but I would want a strong bullet to perform well with the high velocities generated by that cartridge. I lean towards the Barnes TSX's (not the 115grn'ers because you need a faster twist), so I'd recommend the 100grn TSX's or the 120grn Nosler Partitions. You'll be fine.

I have taken black bear with a .30-30, .270 ( bunch of them) .300 win mag. .348 Winchester .44 Magnum, and even with my bow. That said, sometimes they really need that extra punch. Hard to beat a large caliber heavy slug.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    Anyone have experience with a .25-06 on caribou, black bear etc. It's an awesome deer round, but not sure how it would fare on caribou and black bear? Any input from people using this round? Thanks!
    So long as the range stays modest, <400 yards or so, and the bullet selection is wise, the 25/06 is a great killer. I've killed a lot of whitetails with one and a single caribou. I'd use it again without hesitation for deer or caribou and wouldn't be at all concerned with any black bear. I'd be focused on the appropriate bullet and shot placement and animals won't recognize that the 25/06 is sometimes considered marginal....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The .25-06 has been my regular caribou round since the 90s. The 115 grain partitions are my projectile of choice. I wouldn't hesitate to take a black bear with it but I wouldn't tote in on a moose hunt.

.25-06 is an absolutely great round for caribou! I've been shooting my A-bolt since 1987. Although I haven't killed tens of big-game critters with it, I trust it to put the bullet where I'm aiming. Over the years, I've loaded probably 25-30 different powder/bullet combos. Everything from 85 gr solid points to 120 gr ballistic tips and soft points. The little solids were pushed hard and didn't fly well from the Browning . . . I've found in my Browning, most bullets moving at 3,100 fps or faster seem to wander (not really accurate).

The 117 gr Sierra gameking pushed at 2900 fps, or so, is a ridiculous tack-driver. Partitions and A-frames would be great slugs for caribou. I also think Accubonds, Scirrocos, TTSX, and GMX would be excellent choices.

The only downside to hunting fall caribou with a .25-06 would be the potential to run into a griz. I'd definitely want the Partition or A-Frame type of slug in the gun if that happened . . . smarter choice would be same bullets in bigger caliber, in that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    The only downside to hunting fall caribou with a .25-06 would be the potential to run into a griz. I'd definitely want the Partition or A-Frame type of slug in the gun if that happened . . . smarter choice would be same bullets in bigger caliber, in that instance.
    This was also something I had in the back of my mind. I may stick with the .270 in bear rich country. It's not too much more knockdown power, but i feel better with that with a charging griz than the 25-06... Only a little better though. Lol

Put a Barnes X or Nosler Partition in the 25-06 case and blast away. I would keep my shots under 300 yards and stick them in the lungs and eat up. The .223 Rem. and .243 Win. have killed bunches of them critters, so the 25-06 should kill them better. Not all black bears are equal in size or temperament and they can get darn big if in south east Alaska if eating salmon every year. Along with that, for the most part they like thick timber, so I like a 30-06 and bigger bullets better for bears.