Thread: Kasilof king report

Default Kasilof king report

We fished with Mike Wheat yesterday drifting down the Kasilof. We backtrolled eggs the whole time and had 6 kings on, 3 made it to the boat (hard to break the habit of setting the hook too soon.) We also had a sockeye nail eggs and he came to the boat as well. Only one fish was a hatchery fish, so we only kept one king. All in all, it was a very fun trip with a very knowledgeable young guide. If you're in the area, the Kasilof is definitely hotter than the Kenai right now. If we had done our part, we could've brought about 10 fish to the boat yesterday. Mike really knows how to put you on the fish.

I floated the Kasilof yesterday, too, (27 June) and brought in a 30 pounder, a couple of jacks, and lost two. The rest of the family had hits but nothing was brought in. Think I was right behind you, jlingle. Recall seeing a boat release a wild king and bring in what appeared to be a Sockeye. It was a gorgeous day for fishing but the fish weren't out in full force.

Just because Mike's boat caught fish, doesn't mean the Kasilof is on fire....Mike is one of the best, hardest working guides out there. You picked a good one, and congrats on your day on the river.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default contact info!

How do you get ahold of Mike, does he have a web site?

His website is www.fishwheat.com You're right, he is a hard working rascal.

Mark ... for late June, it's on fire

And unlike many, I'm not doing laps of the Traps & People's Hole looking for boots either.

Best numbers of late June fish that I've ever seen ... I've still yet to fail to limit a client (including both "kill" and "sort" days) on the backside of the peak (around June 10-13 for most).

That's highly unusual this far into the end of it, but I'm certainly not complaining And not afraid to jinx it since I know it will come to an end soon anyhow before the second run fish show in force.

The annual crossing of the Kasilof Desert will soon be upon us, hopefully it will be a short trek across!!

I have fished with Mike Wheat for years. There is no one I'd rather fish with in Alaska. I've never once gone and not caught fish, even on terrible days.

Bob - I have heard the fishing is still good over there (been spending most of my time on the kenai lately). my point was that mike can often catch fish when others do not, much like yourself, so just because you or mike are catching fish it doesn't mean that the fishing is spectacular. not trying to be a downer or anything... i just wanted to use it as an opportunity to give mike some props.
    i talked to some more modest guides yesterday and they are still catching some fish as well, not all limits, but getting good numbers of take downs even still.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

The thing with Mike, is that he's not lazy. He'll drift through a hole, then row back up through it, rather than anchoring and waiting for fish to come to the baits.

He's very good at putting you on the fish in the Kenai as well.

Default above the bridge ?

Just got back from the Gulkana river and off to work, has anyone been fishing above the bridge ??????..

The last time I fished with Mike was last August for silvers on the Kasilof. We fished hard and caught/released lots of fish. I finally kept my limit and we were done.

We go back to the parking lot and he cleans my fish for me. As I'm waiting, his next trip pulls up and off he goes again. He truly loves putting people on fish. You gotta respect that.

I've already booked a trip for next year.