Thread: typical time frame for your first critter

Default typical time frame for your first critter

I am new to trapping. Read a lot of stuff this fall and watched some videos. Had a buddy who has trapped before help me get set up. We set a line with some snares and a few foot holds etc. We found an area with a LOT of rabbit activity and set there since there isnt another line in the area. How long does a line typically take to start producing if you have good predators in the area?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

if your sets are where the critters are hunting and moving the first check should see some fur
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Copy that. Im going to check it tonight. My buddy went and made a few more sets only a day or so after. Its been sitting now a week so hopefully it will yield something. There were a LOT of tracks in the area, bunny, coyote, fox and a few lynx. With as much animal traffic that appears to be in there I hope we are successful.

Well checked it last night. 2 rabbits and a squirrel. Not exactly the intended target. Something, Im guessing coyote since that is the majority of the tracks we are seeing, was kind enough to dispose of one rabbit minus the head. Im headed back out this week to extend the line and add a few pee poles etc.

I had a fox take a left on my snowshoe line-if he had taken a right he would have ended up on one of my footholds! good luck hopefully you'll have some fur next check.

Still just bunnies. Cant seem to get what we want in there. Had something wreck a small cubby so I dropped more bait and added a foot hold in front. Cant get to the rabbits quick enough before something else is chewing em up. I was fortunate enough to take a few grouse on last check with the rifle though so I ate good for a night.

I check my bunny snares everyday and have yet to lose one(knock knock).

I did have half of a bunny stolen out of a cubby last week. I'm thinking weasel? Only thing that could've fit it there..

I've noticed predator activity to be low with the warm temps in the Fairbanks region.

We need some fresh snow!!!!!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I check my bunny snares everyday and have yet to lose one(knock knock).

I did have half of a bunny stolen out of a cubby last week. I'm thinking weasel? Only thing that could've fit it there..

I've noticed predator activity to be low with the warm temps in the Fairbanks region.

We need some fresh snow!!!!!
    We do need fresh snow. There is no way I can get to my line everyday. Its about a 45 mile drive and with work it aint happening. I would like to do it so I stop losing bunnies but what are you gonna do. Im heading out tonight and Im hoping for something. Im bringing the saw and dropping some trees and extending the line along the river Im near too.

Well the line is still not producing anything but rabbits. Something, judging by the tracks a maarten, has robbed a few of our cubbies since the dang foot holds inside froze over somehow. We made a few pole sets for em but it is getting frustrating! I found a few more small lynx tracks and what was left of a rabbit kill so I know there are critters in the area just cant seem to snag one.

use wax paper to help you traps not freeze (basically lay the paper on the ground and wrap it over the trap then sprinkle with snow), I mean I haven't caught anything in by footholds for lynx/fox but tested one this weekend and they still fire so if something comes in and steps on the trap I'll get it. good luck!

Are the cubbies for marten? If so don't bother covering the trap they will walk right in same for Lynx saves a lot of problems that way

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    use wax paper to help you traps not freeze (basically lay the paper on the ground and wrap it over the trap then sprinkle with snow), I mean I haven't caught anything in by footholds for lynx/fox but tested one this weekend and they still fire so if something comes in and steps on the trap I'll get it. good luck!
    They make wax paper in squares cut to place under hamburger if you have a store that handles it - almost perfect size to go under or over a trap... Now one trick to add that's important is to crumple that paper up real good in your gloved hands and then unfold it and place it. This reduces the crinkily sound it will make - especially when cold - and critters are very fast in pulling their foot up when they hear something crunch under it.. Used waxed paper a lot when fox trapping years ago...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    They make wax paper in squares cut to place under hamburger if you have a store that handles it - almost perfect size to go under or over a trap... Now one trick to add that's important is to crumple that paper up real good in your gloved hands and then unfold it and place it. This reduces the crinkily sound it will make - especially when cold - and critters are very fast in pulling their foot up when they hear something crunch under it.. Used waxed paper a lot when fox trapping years ago...
    I buy these when I am in Anchorage at Alaska Butcher Supply They come packaged in 1000 or something like that enough for a couple years. I believe you can get them at Sportsmens Warehouse in Fairbanks other places that probably have them in smaller volume is Cabelas and Bass Pro
    I only use them on fox and Wolverine sets. Like I said above no need to cover for lynx and marten

Good info thanks guys. I will uncover the foot holds in my cubbies then. I have several that pee poles that I think Im gonna pull and make a last ditch gang set with some nasty stinky meat I have and Ill try to find some wax paper here in town to cover them with. The wind has been non stop out on the line. Its ridiculous.