Thread: Total Novice Looking For Advice

Default Total Novice Looking For Advice

I was thinking about trying my hand at calling in predators and I have a few questions.

Have read that the 22-250 or .243 are good calibers. Are they?
    Would a Remington .41 Mag rifle be adequate?
    What distances are you shooting to take predators?

Have also read about claim jumping trap lines. Is calling in a area where trap lines may be considered a no-no?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What is going to be your primary game. Rifles in the 243 category are fine for wolf, but on the heavy side for other predators (lynx, coyote, fox, etc). SO is the 22-250, IMO. Unless you are able to tone factory loads down by reloading. To my mind, the 41 Rem would not be considered a "predator caliber", unless you're just interested in blowing away the critters and either don't want to keep the hides or really enjoy sewing. For basic calling for smaller predators, you could get by with a 22 mag (keeping shots under 150 yards), one of the 17 cal rimfires (keeping shots under 100 yards) or even a 22 LR (again keeping shots short). Any of those 3, IMO would better suit than a 243. A 223 is about as high as I would go, for fox sized game (even that I load down to reduce hide damage). Predators can be shot at almost any range you're comfortable shooting - from in your lap to as far as you're capable. Ranges are determined mainly by your capability and (secondary) by your rifle's ballistics.

The 22-250 will blow big holes in almost everything except wolves. The .243 does okay on wolves, but nothing smaller than that. The .41 mag is not recommended at all. Calling on someone's trapline, well depends on the trapper. I wouldn't be thrilled but I wouldn't use you for bait either. Guess if you were doing your best, not trashing the place or tearing up my trail, I don't see why not, but I can't speak for every trapper. Try a 22 magnum or a .223, or even a 12 gauge works great if you do your part and keep the shot's close. I don't shoot over 150 yards unless it's a wolf.

Take a kid with you. If I saw you and a kid, I would put you right smack dab in the middle of the pack so to speak and let you have at it. Pass it on.
    Gulo Gulo