Thread: PWS Camping Areas

Default PWS Camping Areas

Hey everyone, not really sure where to post this but picked here. Mods if you want to move go for it.

Looking for a good location for camping out of Whittier. Ziegler Cove in Pigot has a good spot but it is always taken.

Taking the family out for a few nights and rather than just hanging out on the boat the whole time would like to be able to tent it and have a fire and somewhere for the kids to play.

My biggest concern is somewhere that has a safe anchorage for the boat.

Anyone with any spot and willing to give out the info it is appreciated.

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Surprise cove? There are also some camping spots further down that bay, where surprise cove is located.

Hidden bay is nice too, but kind of tricky to get into.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

You might also check out the north shore of Pirate Cove. Turn north (left) past Pigot Bay into Wells Passage. Pirate is not too far up Wells, on the left (west). You can get some rollers coming into the cove now and then if the wind is right, but never had any real problems. Seen kayakers on the north shore. Also seen kayakers camping on the north shore of Hobo Cove. Not sure about the anchorage there.

Thanks guys!

Default Dman

sent you a PM!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Buy the Guide To PWS

Full of good info.
    Rob

Default PWS Camping

West Twin on Perry has a nice beach and you can find easy hiking to the top of the mountain for a great view of the Sound so a nice place to go ashore.

Agree with the prior post, get the Lethcoe Cruising Guide to PWS. An absolute must if you spend any time out there.

Default Derrickson bay or Hummer bay

Derrickson is the place I described to you. On the way towards Kings bay. On a map you will see the opening into the bay further in. there is a arm to left. That is where I would recomend. I personally tried to go through that channel into the back of derrickson bay. It can jam up with ice and is shallow when tide is down. when tide changes it is crasy trying to get in or out. I was headed in and turned around, kinda tight. But would be fun to take raft in as you could pull out and walk across the gravel. I anchored there and had no problem.

Hummer bay is up towards College fiord in Port wells. Would be close for reds too. I think there was some beaches in there. as well as a cabin of some sort. Kinda tricky to get into just watch the gps and the small islands. Have fun out there. sounds like fun with the whole family.

Hummer bay is a neat place, and a short run. There are lots of huckleberries right off the beach, not sure if they'll be ripe yet, were ripe mid-july when we went there a few years back.

Thanks for the pics!!!!