Thread: Portable Gold Trommel

Default Portable Gold Trommel

Anybody tried one of these out yet? and if so how well are they built?

http://summitmining.com/pro-gold-trommel/

I don't know of anyone running one on the peninsula.
    I know some guys with bigger trommels but not the one you linked.
    I've always thought it would be cool to own a small trommel like that.

But then I realize you can buy a nice new highbanker for half that price or less.
    And I own a highbanker I got a good price on used.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

These are good for moving dirt a little faster than a highbanker. It depends on how fast you plan to move dirt and how portable you want your machine to be. There's also less vibration with a trommel compared to a shaking high banker, so parts will generally last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jsurddy View Post
    These are good for moving dirt a little faster than a highbanker. It depends on how fast you plan to move dirt and how portable you want your machine to be. There's also less vibration with a trommel compared to a shaking high banker, so parts will generally last longer.

Yea its just something that I want to be able to put on my snowmachine trailer with my 4-wheeler and get it to the spot, then hook the trailer to the wheeler and take it out on the river. I'd get the one that had the gas engine and a 2" gas powered pump to go along with it.

Theres a river close by that I could have fun going miles just digging behind stumps, grins.

My highbanker doesn't shake at all if it set up right. It just has a water pump that runs it and other than that no moving parts.
    Trommels have many more moving parts plus chains,bearings, and gears that need lubed.
    Some have separate motors for pumping water and running the trommel itself so more gas and more moving parts that wear out and need maintenance.
    A good highbanker should fit on the back rack of your wheeler. Throw a pick,shovel,and goldpan on the front and you are good to go no trailer to tow for half the price and less maintenance.
    Yes you cannot feed it as fast but a highbanker will still move a lot of dirt and I don't like to work at a killer pace anyway.
    But it's your money. If the Trommel suits you then buy one.
    My highbanker was $600 used and I have had it since 2001. I change the oil once a year and feed it fresh gas.
    I don't use it as much anymore due to work schedules and having other equipment to use for different types of mining(beach gold).
    But it has held up.
    I will be replacing the rewind this year on the pump because of a broken plastic housing. I replaced some fittings 8-10 years ago but that's because I dropped it and broke them.
    Still runs and works great.

Yea, most small high bankers dont vibrate and do work plenty well. I especially like how portable they are. There are some larger ones that do vibrate, but i dont know if the ones i've seen are commercial models or home built units. With enough water flow a regular mid size high banker will move as much dirt as you can shovel by yourself. A trommel would be good for a couple people shoveling into it.

Yea, most small high bankers dont vibrate and do work plenty well. I especially like how portable they are. There are some larger ones that do vibrate, but i dont know if the ones i've seen are commercial models or home built units. With enough water flow a regular mid size high banker will move as much dirt as you can shovel by yourself. A trommel would be good for a couple people shoveling into it.

Yea I just wanted to fill up some buckets ( 30-40 of them ) from differant spots and run the fill through the trommel, map it and move to the next spot and so on. The trommel would be used very little as far as a a permanate fixture with material feed. I would classifly all mateiral before it went into the hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Yea I just wanted to fill up some buckets ( 30-40 of them ) from differant spots and run the fill through the trommel, map it and move to the next spot and so on. The trommel would be used very little as far as a a permanate fixture with material feed. I would classifly all mateiral before it went into the hopper.
    The beauty of Trommels or high bankers is there is no need to classify First.
    If it's moveable on your shovel then shovel it in.
    Basically any rock softball size or smaller shouldn't be a problem.
    Keep everything consistent and record everything from your tests.
    I would use a pan to first check for color.
    Those with color get tested.
    Those that are blanks get skipped.
    Saves a lot of work that way.
    Of course you will have made sure your not on someone's claim first.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The beauty of Trommels or high bankers is there is no need to classify First.
    If it's moveable on your shovel then shovel it in.
    Basically any rock softball size or smaller shouldn't be a problem.
    Keep everything consistent and record everything from your tests.
    I would use a pan to first check for color.
    Those with color get tested.
    Those that are blanks get skipped.
    Saves a lot of work that way.
    Of course you will have made sure your not on someone's claim first.
    I'm just river hunting right now, so no claims to be an issue. The reason to classify is to keep the equipment in good order and not make it more that it was made to handle. I'm thinking about a river that has no fish but has alot of silt so the trommel with its water pressure is the way I want to go I think.

I'm just river hunting right now, so no claims to be an issue. The reason to classify is to keep the equipment in good order and not make it more that it was made to handle. I'm thinking about a river that has no fish but has alot of silt so the trommel with its water pressure is the way I want to go I think.
    So you are positive the river you will be hunting on has no existing claims?
    Just because they may not be actively mining it doesn't mean that it isn't claimed. So it might be worth a check on the claims website to keep yourself out of trouble.
    Highbankers have spray bars also and some can convert to a dredge if so desired for half the cost. It seems you want a trommel and it's your money so I won't try and convince you anymore.
    Watch out with the silt. River silt often contains little to no gold. Gold tends to move through that silt rather quickly and most just isn't worth processing. It is easy digging but not worth processing IMHO.
    Try digging through it to find some river gravels.
    I have a highbanker I would let you try out but your too far away from me for that to be practical.
    lately I have gotten into the beach gold and I run a gold cube for that. A great machine but definitely not for stream gravel without the additional trommel attachment and even then it is slow. Great for the fine beach gold just slow.

So you are positive the river you will be hunting on has no existing claims?
    Just because they may not be actively mining it doesn't mean that it isn't claimed. So it might be worth a check on the claims website to keep yourself out of trouble.
    Highbankers have spray bars also and some can convert to a dredge if so desired for half the cost. It seems you want a trommel and it's your money so I won't try and convince you anymore.
    Watch out with the silt. River silt often contains little to no gold. Gold tends to move through that silt rather quickly and most just isn't worth processing. It is easy digging but not worth processing IMHO.
    Try digging through it to find some river gravels.
    I have a highbanker I would let you try out but your too far away from me for that to be practical.
    lately I have gotten into the beach gold and I run a gold cube for that. A great machine but definitely not for stream gravel without the additional trommel attachment and even then it is slow. Great for the fine beach gold just slow.
    Well in the state of AK., I don't think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) anybody can claim any body of water, THEY can claim any ground within 50' of the high water mark, but on a major river the state has its say on what goes on. ( Creeks are a little differant I think if they go through a claim ) I wish you had some time to come on up. Summers up here are great.

Well in the state of AK., I don't think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) anybody can claim any body of water, THEY can claim any ground within 50' of the high water mark, but on a major river the state has its say on what goes on. ( Creeks are a little differant I think if they go through a claim ) I wish you had some time to come on up. Summers up here are great.
    You are wrong! There I said it!
    If someone has filed a valid mining claim with the state or federal government (whomever controls the land it's on)on the river in question(whichever one it happens to be) and you are caught mining there you can be charged with criminal trespass and made to leave.
    You will also forfeit any gold you have found.
    Now if it's public land you can still hunt,fish,recreate there but mining is off limits if there is a valid mining claim.
    They own the minerals there including ones in /under the water.
    I say valid mining claim. That's assuming they got there paperwork done correctly and on time and paid their fees etc.
    I know some claim owners who will send you packing with your tail between your legs if you show up and start running your trommel without permission on their claim.
    And yes they are armed all the time!
    It does pay to check!
    It's your choice though.
    You can risk it if you want to.
    You may also need a permit to run your trommel.
    One for the motorized trommel and possibly a water discharge permit.
    My highbanker requires one for each drainage I'm on.
    There is a season it is listed as a salmon stream/river.
    The water discharge permit currently covers all waters of the Peninsula as a recreational miner but is still required.
    I've never had my permits checked in the field but can imagine serious issues without one or at least the end of your mining for awhile til you get them.
    Now some miners will let you on their claim if you ask so if it is claimed find out who owns the claim and ask. Can't hurt to ask.

You are wrong! There I said it!
    If someone has filed a valid mining claim with the state or federal government (whomever controls the land it's on)on the river in question(whichever one it happens to be) and you are caught mining there you can be charged with criminal trespass and made to leave.
    You will also forfeit any gold you have found.
    Now if it's public land you can still hunt,fish,recreate there but mining is off limits if there is a valid mining claim.
    They own the minerals there including ones in /under the water.
    I say valid mining claim. That's assuming they got there paperwork done correctly and on time and paid their fees etc.
    I know some claim owners who will send you packing with your tail between your legs if you show up and start running your trommel without permission on their claim.
    And yes they are armed all the time!
    It does pay to check!
    It's your choice though.
    You can risk it if you want to.
    You may also need a permit to run your trommel.
    One for the motorized trommel and possibly a water discharge permit.
    My highbanker requires one for each drainage I'm on.
    There is a season it is listed as a salmon stream/river.
    The water discharge permit currently covers all waters of the Peninsula as a recreational miner but is still required.
    I've never had my permits checked in the field but can imagine serious issues without one or at least the end of your mining for awhile til you get them.
    Now some miners will let you on their claim if you ask so if it is claimed find out who owns the claim and ask. Can't hurt to ask.
    LOL, well things must be a little differant down where you are at, because up here you can't claim any body of water. I'm too tired to look it up tonight , but will post the regs tommorow. ( think about how you would claim a piece of a part of a major river????, It don't happen ) Do you have a claim on the beach area you are using?

Check out the Alaska Mapper program on the alaska.gov website. It shows what areas are already claimed or leased.

LOL, well things must be a little differant down where you are at, because up here you can't claim any body of water. I'm too tired to look it up tonight , but will post the regs tommorow. ( think about how you would claim a piece of a part of a major river????, It don't happen ) Do you have a claim on the beach area you are using?
    It's really quite easy.
    You file a claim that includes a section of the river as part of your 40(or larger/smaller) acre claim.
    Done deal.
    It's the same where you are at and I'd bet money on it.
    How else do you keep others from dredging on your claim?
    Like I said it only gives you the rights to the minerals there.
    You can't block or keep others out who are there for other purposes. It still remains public land.
    The exception is lands not open to mineral entry such as refuge lands, private lands of course ,or something similar.
    You can't claim the Kenai river because of its land status but it does have tributaries with claims on them.
    We don't have a claim on the beach though it is being considered.
    But we did check to make sure it wasn't under existing claim by someone else.
    That's all I'm suggesting you do.
    Make sure it's open to prospecting. Make sure you have the proper permits.
    And verify it isn't under an existing mining claim by someone.
    How hard is that?