Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware Cannon Rod Holder

Unhappy Beware Cannon Rod Holder

Nice day of trolling on kbay. Going after our final fish to limit and got a good solid strike. Went for the rod and the ****ed holder snapped off. It was tightened appropriately and the drag also set as it should have been. Longest 10 seconds of my life watching the rod/reel slowly disappear under the boat. If anyone snags an ugly stick with a Shimano TR200g reel with a large king skeleton on the end drop me a line. I'd appreciate it.

IMG_5604.jpg

Ouch, that sucks. I will be taking a close look at my rod holders the next time I am on the boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sorry to see that, have had holder failures before and now run safety lanyards on all my rigs.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 for safety lanyards

Feel lucky that it wasn't the rigger base, I've seen a number of cannons disapear into the locker when that plastic base gives out. Reason I got away from Cannon and went to Aluminum riggers and holders....
    http://www.fishingandhuntingusa.com/rh00434.html
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Any links to the safety lanyards that you guys use? I've not yet had a problem, but would rather avoid that eventual issue.

Also interested in recommended lanyards. Nothing available locally...

Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    Also interested in recommended lanyards. Nothing available locally...
    You don't need anything fancy. About a 3' long by 1/8 - 1/4" line with a snap clip secured to each end. One end gets clipped to/hooked to a secure railing or similar fixture on the boat, the other end to the pole/reel. Many reels come with a convenient eye to clip to, others you can clip around the base where it attaches to the pole.

EDIT: Essentially for me, if the water is deeper than what I am willing/able to jump into to retrieve a pole off the bottom, the pole gets tied to the boat so I don't have to.

A rope dog leash about 3 ft. long.

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    A rope dog leash about 3 ft. long.
    +1 With brass or stainless clip, feed store has em too.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

green military parachute cord with a loop or lanyard is what we use, 3' long or so.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Sorry for your Lost rod/reel, but thanks for the Heads Up. A winter ago, some person of questionable parentage removed two Lamglass rods with Penn reels from my garage, So last Spring when I discovered the loss, I went in to Bass Pro and took out a 3rd mortgage on the mobile home to replace those rods/reels. I'd really hate to loose one to a faulty rod holder If I can prevent it with a simple safety rope. Thanks again for the Heads Up.

Gear Shed in Homer is doing what they can and will pay for replacement parts and fix the rigger under warranty. Cannon however wants the whole unit shipped to them so they can determine it's a manufacture defect, in which case, if they agree, they will make repairs themselves. Shipping on me. Gear Shed stands by their sales, Cannon not so much their products. Also, I called Cannon to try my luck on collateral loss (rod, reel). Quick "no" from the rep on the phone. Can't argue much with that but it confirms my impression. What I've learned: not impressed with Cannon. Stainless steel rod holders on order, lanyards on board.

You kinda have to watch Scotty rod holders too, as they age. The little ridge on the step that keeps them from popping free except in one spot will wear and quit working. I've never had it happen when a fish hits, rather it happens when I lift up on the holder to spin it to a new position. Pops right out in your hand. Not an issue really but I'm in the habit of replacing them every 3 or 4 years.

AND using a leash. Best for me is home-built using black bungee cord, the 1/4" fabric variety with the rubber bands in the middle, and a carabiner at each end. Only reason for the bungee rather than cord is for a little give when disconnecting to fight a fish. Inevitably the person on the rod comes up tight against the end of the cord, and it can be darned hard to get them to give me slack for a disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    AND using a leash. Best for me is home-built using black bungee cord, the 1/4" fabric variety with the rubber bands in the middle, and a carabiner at each end. Only reason for the bungee rather than cord is for a little give when disconnecting to fight a fish. Inevitably the person on the rod comes up tight against the end of the cord, and it can be darned hard to get them to give me slack for a disconnect.
    We never disconnect the tether to fight the fish. We make sure to use a tether long enough that you don't need to disconnect to have some room to move around. On rare occasions, we may need to adjust to a new anchor point, but that only involves disconnecting for a few seconds to move to the other side of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    We never disconnect the tether to fight the fish. We make sure to use a tether long enough that you don't need to disconnect to have some room to move around.
    We're not among the folks that keep the boat moving while fighting fish. We kick it out of gear then manouver the boat (center console) to stay broadside to the fish and down wind, especially on bigger kings. Up close if the king makes a fast move one way or the other, the angler needs to follow along while I shift the boat. Any tether turns into a leash if you stay tied up.

We generally catch our share of big kings, but last summer "big" got redefined on our boat. We started trolling with our fly rods and flies, and had great success (over 50 landed, most released). Even 20 pounds turns into a rodeo around the boat. Over 30 is a rodeo on steroids. Over 40 is kinda like sitting in the middle of the arena to watch the bull riding!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We're not among the folks that keep the boat moving while fighting fish. We kick it out of gear then manouver the boat (center console) to stay broadside to the fish and down wind, especially on bigger kings. Up close if the king makes a fast move one way or the other, the angler needs to follow along while I shift the boat. Any tether turns into a leash if you stay tied up.

We generally catch our share of big kings, but last summer "big" got redefined on our boat. We started trolling with our fly rods and flies, and had great success (over 50 landed, most released). Even 20 pounds turns into a rodeo around the boat. Over 30 is a rodeo on steroids. Over 40 is kinda like sitting in the middle of the arena to watch the bull riding!
    That's true. I was figuring based on our typical saltwater fishing which is almost always bottom fish, so you don't have a lot of need to move around the boat quickly. I could see the different situation for what you guys are doing. I can imagine it could get exciting with the lighter tackle. Good way to add some fun and excitement to the day for sure.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

halibut ganion with a trigger snap from true value works great, had a king take the bait and guys on deck were being too nice to each other, you grab it! no you, I landed one already! then the king jumped and the rod launched. I have had one scotty rod holder fail to stay upright but never completely break off. I have one rod holder that looks like it will break soon, thanks for the post I need to replace that one scotty holder.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

In the 25 years my Canons have been on my boat I have never had an issue, but it doesn't sit out in the weather at all.
    My favorite riggers have always been the Big Jon Captains Pack riggers. The rod holders on those are awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    In the 25 years my Canons have been on my boat I have never had an issue, but it doesn't sit out in the weather at all.
    My favorite riggers have always been the Big Jon Captains Pack riggers. The rod holders on those are awesome!!!
    Best rod holders on the market..
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast