Thread: Experience with Clay's and .45 ACP

Default Experience with Clay's and .45 ACP

A friend told me (he liked 230 grain FMJ) he used Clay's powder he said it was very economical and he could still get 900fps. I loaded up some 230 grain fmjrn with the published 4 grains max of Clays. I could only get an avg of 662 fps on my chrony and the spent cases didn't operate the slide as forcefully as other loads. Some cases were sooty.
    My friend was an accomplished reloaded. I can't ask him about this because he recently passed. I took two rounds apart and checked the charge with another scale and had a 4 grain max charge.
    does my velocity seem slow with a 5 inch barrel. I medium crimped with a 1.200 COL, WLP. My friend may have used LP mag primers.
    I used a new can of regular Clays, not international or universal. Any one having a Clays experience?
    I've reloaded with unique with decent results. What powder do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    A friend told me (he liked 230 grain FMJ) he used Clay's powder he said it was very economical and he could still get 900fps. I loaded up some 230 grain fmjrn with the published 4 grains max of Clays. I could only get an avg of 662 fps on my chrony and the spent cases didn't operate the slide as forcefully as other loads. Some cases were sooty.
    My friend was an accomplished reloaded. I can't ask him about this because he recently passed. I took two rounds apart and checked the charge with another scale and had a 4 grain max charge.
    does my velocity seem slow with a 5 inch barrel. I medium crimped with a 1.200 COL, WLP. My friend may have used LP mag primers.
    I used a new can of regular Clays, not international or universal. Any one having a Clays experience?
    I've reloaded with unique with decent results. What powder do you like?
    I don't reload .45, but my understanding is that if you are used to Unique, you should be using universal clays rather than regular clays. Universal and Unique have a very similar burn rate. Regular clays is much faster than either. On the burn rate chart, Unique is 57, Universal is 58, Clays is 31. Might be that your powder is burning too fast. I use Universal for 9mm.

I use clays (3grs) in 38spl with good results but for the 45acp I use universal clays and 5.2 grs will get a cast 230gr over 900 fps. I don't think you can do that with clays. The other powder I like for 45 is W231/HP38.

Longshot works good in my 45 ACP.

I've burned untold pounds of Winchester Super Target in the .45 ACP.- 5.0gr in the 200gr LSWC@ 900fps and 4.9 under 230gr Ball at 825fps.

Always got good performance- ran the pistol well, even dirty. I experimented with Clays and Universal. Clays never got good velocities and required a lighter recoil spring to operate 100%. Universal was good, but needed higher charge weights than WST. I was shooting a lot of volume so WST was more economical.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit