Thread: Porting Ruger SRH Toklat 454 Casull/.45 Colt

Default Porting Ruger SRH Toklat 454 Casull/.45 Colt

I'm considering getting my Toklat (5" barrel) ported by Magnaport and have a few questions.

1) Does porting cause any appreciable reduction in velocity?

2) Is the recoil jump reduction significant or just minor?

3) For those who have had your revolver ported, would you do it again?

4) Any other companies to consider other than Magnaport?

I would really appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    I'm considering getting my Toklat (5" barrel) ported by Magnaport and have a few questions.

1) There is no appreciable loss in velocity.

2) Perceived recoil is influenced by several factors. Magnaporting makes greater perceived changes as the velocity increases (coinciding with an increase in powder gases). Meaning, you'll probably notice a greater difference in the perceived recoil reduction when using .454 loads than when using mild .45 Colt loads.

3) Maybe.

4) Not IMO.

Magnaport is a first rate company. They provide excellent products/service and I can't believe you'll be less than impressed with them.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have a 4" 45 Colt Redhawk that I converted to a 454. I had it Mag-Na-Ported to reduce muzzle flip and the torque/twist the short barreled gun had. It made a HUGE difference. Mag-Na-Port is not like a typical portiing/muzzle brake in that it's purpose is NOT primarily for recoil reduction, it's for reducing muzzle rise/flip, and it does that VERY well especially on a short barreled revolver.

1) No

2) Muzzle flip is GREATLY reduced. Percieved recoil for me is about the same I'd say. Mag-na-port says maybe a 15% reduction in recoil. Again, don't get Mag-na-port as a recoil reducer. It's for muzzle flip.

3) On the 4" 454 Redhawk, yup, I'd do it again.

4) There is only 1 Mag-Na-Port. They use the trapezoidal slots and use Electrical Discharge Machining. No one else does Mag-Na-Port.

I also had my Kimber MT 325wsm rifle Mag-na-ported. Light, whippy barrel and it really had a lot of flip and twist. Mag-na-port tamed it.

My buddy has a 480 Super Redhawk and he sent it out for MagNaPort 480 Advantage treatment. It's nice. Here's a video of us shooting it and the 454 Redhawk.

http://vid1079.photobucket.com/album...ps752782a0.mp4
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm not a big fan of porting. The increase in sounds hurts my ears if I don't have hearing protection handy.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Only down side I know of is hot gas and powder hitting the front sight. Can ruin night sight or fiber optic/plastic over time. I will say that mag na port does use their c-more plastic sight on lots of their ported guns
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I thought about getting my BFR .475 ported but noise considerations stopped me. It is a primary hunting gun and most times I don't use hearing protection when hunting. I want to hear deer coming. Guns do not bother me in the field but on the range I need muffs. One shot on my range with a 10" .44 mag will turn me inside out but I don't even hear it on deer.
    I tried electronic muffs and could not tell where sounds came from, a squirrel would drive me nuts.

1) Does porting cause any appreciable reduction in velocity? Not that I've seen in many guns.

2) Is the recoil jump reduction significant or just minor? Depends on the gun surely, but I'm a fan because it works and is a real help for double action shooting. In side by side comparison, my comparatively lightweight 4" Smith 629 has even less muzzle rise than my unported 7" Redhawk 44.

3) For those who have had your revolver ported, would you do it again?And again and again. I'm a long time fan for reasons stated.

4) Any other companies to consider other than Magnaport? Not me. I've had porting done by assorted gunsmiths and at best, they're comparable to Magnaport. At worst, they're a disaster.

Yup, I'm a fan, as is most everyone who's tried my guns.

I'm reconsidering getting the Toklat ported. In reference to Amigo Will's post, have others found issues with the front sight after magnaporting?

I've got a HiViz front sight on my magnaported Redhawk and its not melted.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm reconsidering getting the Toklat ported. In reference to Amigo Will's post, have others found issues with the front sight after magnaporting?
    I had a Super Redhawk ported, 454. It did dirty up the front sight. Never did ruin the sight, just dirty.

As others said, it reduces muzzle flip.

I would not do it again, because of noise, dirty front sight, and my jag & patch would sometimes get caught in the ports.

But it really does reduce the muzzle flip. Makes for a faster 2nd shot.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

My S&W .460V is ported. YES, it does dirty up the front site; Both the metal and plastic. Doesn't seem to damage it, it just looks dirty and won't clean off.

I'd been told that Mag-na-port had some issues a while back with shavings (copper, lead) depositing themselves in the ports.

I had my wife's SRH .454 Casull cut from a 7-1/2" down to a 4-5/8", and had a muzzle brake machined into the last inch of the muzzle. I shoot mostly hardened lead alloy, with fairly hot loads from Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore. Mostly with projectiles in the mid 300 grain range.

I would like to add more ports in the future, and slightly expand the inner circumference of the 'chamber' in the muzzle brake, and I suspect that will further address recoil, which is already decreased, but not so much as to brag about it.

By the time I was done, three different machinists/gunsmiths had worked on it. The comment above stating that at best there were positives (paraphrasing), and at worst, nightmares, rings true to my experiences in any modifications in machining firearms. Always be very selective in who you approach for such things. References, refeences, references, and discussions with the smithy before the fact..

I had the gun referenced above bead blasted to get rid of that satin gray stainless Ruger finish, and added Wolf Springs to the trigger and hammer (*specifically to make it more friendly for my wife, but have to say the difference is very nice, and glad I did it, as I carry the thing far more often than she does).

The only thing I missed was before the sight was re-attached, and the barrel was placed back on the gun, I should've asked for the barrel to first be lathed, to remove the factory printing on the barrel, which was bisected by the other changes. Purely an aesthetic issue though.

Back in the 70's I had a 6" Mod. 29 .44 mag. Mag na ported and I was happy with it. In my opinion it took away about 25% of the muzzle jump and maybe 15% of the felt recoil. About the same time I had a Ruger Mod. 77 .338 Win. mag. Mag na ported with about the same results. I did not notice an increase in the muzzle blast/noise, but it did sound different to me.

Both guns are long gone over 25 years ago and except for a Vang Comp ported Rem. 870 I did not use any breaks or porting. That is changing as my old carcass is getting whimpy.

My custom Mod. 70 .338 should be back from Mag na port soon. After that I am sending them my S&W .44 mag. Mountain Gun and when that is done I will send them my Marlin 45-70, darn thing kicks like a mule with those 405 grain bullets and a case full of H322.

I like Mag na port, they are a first class out fit with a bunch of experience at porting guns and the lady that answers the phone is as sweet and helpful as a person could be.

I only use iron in my sights so sight damage does not happen for me, I also shoot ok with black sights and it is easy to wipe carbon off. Those fiber optic front sights look fragile to me, but I know I am old fashioned. I never had any shaving from any bullets that I know of.

I have never used a "muzzle break" as the ones I have been around were so darn loud I was afraid of hearing damage for me, my family and the animals!

I encourage any one who wants to port a firearm to call Mag-na-port and talk to them, they will answer any question and they and are a very professional organization.

Probably the best recommendation they have comes form a guy who is a master of all things that have a trigger, the one and only Jerry Miculek.

He has very good shooting videos on You Tube that demonstrate some of the advantages of Mag-na-ported guns and has been using Mag-na-ported revolvers, semi auto hand guns, rifles and shot guns for 30 years.

He is a top tier shooter in multiple disciplines, so that is as good a recommendation as a fire arm service can get!