Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mat valley cow tag....tougher than I thought

Default Mat valley cow tag....tougher than I thought

My wife's got the cow moose tag for the valley and we are seeing a lot of moose, but around big lake they sure don't tolerate people! Had a couple about two hundred yards out, see us on the roadside and run away. Fast. A lot of small bulls and cows with calves but any lone moose is realllly jumpy. My wife says by dec 24th if she don't have one she's gonna orphan a calf! Lol 7 mouths to feed, can't blame her. Gonna spread out our search on the road system around Houston area. Any pointers on huntable land would be appreciated. And if you know of a old blind cow that's deaf and likes the ditch or your yard let me know!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

PM sent....I think I can help you out

Pm also sent.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Consider hiring a guide??

If I knew a good guide I might....ha. Good one.
    I should add we are on foot or from the truck mostly. No off road toys.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    If I knew a good guide I might....ha. Good one.
    I should add we are on foot or from the truck mostly. No off road toys.
    pm incoming
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

got a ranger if you need it

We saw several in Houston over the last week...but all were in someone's yard.

Is there a lot of huntable land down pt Mac way or is it mostly ditch hunting? Is the native land posted?
    Master guide 212

Their is a cow and a calf with twins that beds behind our shed every day. Easy pickings
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Jake, you are welcome to borrow my wheelers if it would help. My cousin punched his tag near Jim creek. We saw a bunch of cows and finally found one without a calf by Wolf point.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

have them in my yard daily out here in Willow. Saw 14 moose today just driving around locally mostly cows with calfs, 2 bulls and several lone cows. PM me or text me 907-203-0035 if you need some areas I can pretty much put you on several moose in the morning without batting an eyelash

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Sounds like you've got lots of leads, Jake, but if you'd still like an idea that's pretty close to home, let me know and I'll send you some screenshots of maps and directions to where my wife and I doubled up on cows two years ago. I sent another forum member there this year and he connected in an hour or two. There are no sure things, of course, but it's where I would start if I had the tag again.

Either way, good luck to you!

Well this is too rich. Guess it's not so easy when you can't fly around and spot them from the air, eh mighty hunter?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Well this is too rich. Guess it's not so easy when you can't fly around and spot them from the air, eh mighty hunter?
    Why the angst? If Jake's hunting stories are to believed (and he's never given us a reason not to), he isn't one to do spotting flights for his clients. He puts his boots on the ground and puts time in the field. From everything I know about him, he's a guide who does it right. This comment is totally misguided and misinformed.

Good luck Jake, I know how much a full freezer eases the Winter Time Worries during the off season. Not sure of the area encompassed by your wifes tag, but there seems to be a few cows roaming the KGB area lately.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of folks who, well, look for reasons to get mad....I have to ask if receiving PM's, texts, or other such messages stating "there's a lone cow at the corner of Avenue X and Z Lane" could be construed by some as taking game with the aid of electronic communication?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of folks who, well, look for reasons to get mad....I have to ask if receiving PM's, texts, or other such messages stating "there's a lone cow at the corner of Avenue X and Z Lane" could be construed by some as taking game with the aid of electronic communication?
    It doesn't. I had a personal run in with this a few years ago and had a good discussion with the AST. The intent of the law is to keep someone from actively guiding someone "real time" to an animal. Letting them know you saw one while driving by x and y street doesn't violate the law. If you were sitting there watching an animal and call someone to come to it....that might be a different story.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    It doesn't. I had a personal run in with this a few years ago and had a good discussion with the AST. The intent of the law is to keep someone from actively guiding someone "real time" to an animal. Letting them know you saw one while driving by x and y street doesn't violate the law. If you were sitting there watching an animal and call someone to come to it....that might be a different story.
    Thanks 'Mud, that was my concern here, not "I've seen one over by ______" as opposed to a PM saying "I'm sitting here at _______ watching a cow that's bedded down, get over here!!"

Can't be too careful anymore.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Got it done this morning guys! Thanks for all your help! Wife's first moose!
    Whoever that was that had a spur under their saddle about spotting from the air, I don't even guide moose hunters. I haven't shot a moose in well over a decade if memory serves. So it was mostly a needless comment.
    Master guide 212

There is a lot of huntable land, but it is mixed with private. Check out the Borough's mapping pages and they will show land ownership.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast