Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Reality hunting show violation hits home

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default Reality hunting show violation hits home

    Ok guys I need your help. I had a DIY hunt planned with the guide that was recently charged with helping cover up illegible shooting of a second bear for a TV star. I have paid over half of the fees due. But now I am stuck wondering if I will be able to go on the hunt. I have been planning this hunt for over 15 months and now am worried that the individual will lose his license or be in jail next moose season.

    I see that they have a court date for him on the 16th-I would wait to see the outcome of this but I know that many tag applications become due the 15th if I want to change areas/outfitter.

    What do you all think the state will do concerning the violation. If he looses his Master Guide License will he still be able to Transport me to a location if I provide the gear but he picks the location?

    I also do not want to give money to an unethical outfitter (or one that does not take the safety of its guests seriously -(plane crash).

    If you were in my shoes-what would you do?

  2. #2

    Default

    I would at least wait until his court date. If he pleads guilty and it doesn't go to trial, it still might take sometime for the Big Game Commercial Services Board to take disciplinary action.
    If he pleads guilty I would guess you could demand a refund on the grounds that you don't want to deal with an unethical guide service.
    If I were you I'd give the BGCSB a call to see what your options are.

  3. #3
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    I'd contact the guide directly and ask him the status and potential scenarios on the horizon.
    Also, contact Papa Bear Adventures, they're also located in Bethel, Steve is a straight shooter and may be able to offer guidance on the matter.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'd contact the guide directly and ask him the status and potential scenarios on the horizon.
    Also, contact Papa Bear Adventures, they're also located in Bethel, Steve is a straight shooter and may be able to offer guidance on the matter.
    Yeah- I actually contacted PB a year ago to book with him but he was already full for 2016. This outfitter was my second choice. I tried calling the the outfitter but only get his voicemail which states that it is full. I am sure that he probably has kept his phone off due to media outlets trying to call. I sent him, as well has my hunt planner an email. We will see how they respond. I am pretty disappointed to say the least.

  5. #5
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Tuff one there, I understand what you're posting. I would talk to him about it. The plane crash, well, they happen up here in thsoe small ones, he wasn't the one flying that plane, it was one of his pilots. Eitherway, i would call and talk to him. I highly doubt he'll loose his license over this.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

    Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Tuff one there, I understand what you're posting. I would talk to him about it. The plane crash, well, they happen up here in thsoe small ones, he wasn't the one flying that plane, it was one of his pilots. Eitherway, i would call and talk to him. I highly doubt he'll loose his license over this.
    Plane crashes do happen. But I want to ensure that the outfitters hires the safest pilots. If you watch the crash it is clear that the plane was over loaded and the crash could have been 100% prevented. I am willing to look past that as everything is 20/20 hindsight, but the items seem to be stacking up.

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    In his defense, he has a pretty good reputation, until this latest incident. As to the plane crash, it does ultimately rest on the shoulders of the pilot.
    If the current charges stick it'll be interesting to see if the aircraft is forfeited to the State.

    You might try Tom at Bay Air or Rick at Tikchik Air, both in Dillingham.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    In his defense, he has a pretty good reputation, until this latest incident. As to the plane crash, it does ultimately rest on the shoulders of the pilot.
    If the current charges stick it'll be interesting to see if the aircraft is forfeited to the State.

    You might try Tom at Bay Air or Rick at Tikchik Air, both in Dillingham.
    Thanks for the guidance. Plan B is in the works if something happens with plan A!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Update: The outfitter has gotten in touch with me and has handled everything very professionally. It appears that some facts are true and some facts are false in the report. However, as a client he was honest, and offered a means to rectify the situation. I am booked for 2016 and plan to continue to use his services. I could not be more pleased with the way the situation has been handled. Now I guess it is a waiting game to see what actions the state takes. Thank you for everyone's response. After talking with others it has calmed my nerves and allowed me to clearly think through the situation.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I say that due to the complete lack of ethics involved, regardless of a guides previously stellar reputation..."get a rope"! There indeed appears to be a blatant willfull intent to "cover it up"! If I were you, I would be attempting a refund, expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Good luck.

    Post edit: I did not read down to the last post by the OP that states he has resolved the matter to his satisfaction, that's great! I just hope the complete and total truth comes out in the end, and that justice prevails. If a guide is involved in any willfull deception, I still go with needing the rope.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_3 View Post
    Update: The outfitter has gotten in touch with me and has handled everything very professionally. It appears that some facts are true and some facts are false in the report. However, as a client he was honest, and offered a means to rectify the situation. I am booked for 2016 and plan to continue to use his services. I could not be more pleased with the way the situation has been handled. Now I guess it is a waiting game to see what actions the state takes. Thank you for everyone's response. After talking with others it has calmed my nerves and allowed me to clearly think through the situation.
    Thank you for sharing with us your recent contact experience with the guiding service. I, for one, think that you made a very good decision to contact him directly and make decisions based upon what you heard directly from him...not the media. Well done sir.

  12. #12
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Guilty or innocent, I would not choose to be financial vested in anyone's legal problems.


    Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

  13. #13
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Any word on this today?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    I haven't heard the outcome. However here is an updated article. http://m.ktuu.com/news/if-i-could-ta...r-tag/36958158


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Looks like from the court system that the hearing was reset for a new day, but does not say what that day is.

  16. #16
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,765

    Default

    Kudos for contacting the service directly, instead of merely reacting to media reports.

    The problem with rescheduling with another operator out there is that there is only one, and they are usually very full. I'm sure you are aware of this. Keep in mind that there may be another angle on this: The violation occurred on a guided hunt, and the consequences may affect his guided operation. But his transporter operation may be unaffected by this issue, so it may all turn out to be nothing in your case.

    Keep in touch with the guy and get your info directly from him.

    Keep us posted! Information like this concerns us all!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  17. #17
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Outdoorsman 3, hopefully for your sake the FAA does not take certificate action against his CFR135 air taxi certificate for the crash that resulted from an obvious overloaded takeoff. I'd have a plan B just incase.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Outdoorsman 3, hopefully for your sake the FAA does not take certificate action against his CFR135 air taxi certificate for the crash that resulted from an obvious overloaded takeoff. I'd have a plan B just incase.
    You obviously know more about this than I, is this a common action. How long do these rulings take to flesh themselves out?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_3 View Post
    You obviously know more about this than I, is this a common action. How long do these rulings take to flesh themselves out?
    That will all depend on the outcome of the crash investigation which can take up to a year.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Looks like from the court system that the hearing was reset for a new day, but does not say what that day is.
    Looks like the date is Jan 13.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •