Thread: Koyukuk Upstream from the Dalton ????

Default Koyukuk Upstream from the Dalton ????

I am planning a trip up to the Koyukuk this next spring to look for a Grizz.

Going to take my Airboat up stream from the haul road as far as we can get without tearing my hull up.

Anyone been up there that would share a little info, Does, Do nots, Oh Shoot moments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Up until this year I had not seen anyone going upstream. This year I saw three boats come down from upstream, only one had a moose that I could see. So it seems it is possible. Two were airboats and one was a Zodiac and outboard jet. The water was pretty skinny around the bridge and folks had to be somewhat creative to launch. Good luck, and I hope someone that has actually gone that way gives you a few pointers.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks Roger45.

I am not looking at going for Moose season, just going to see about getting the airboat out in the spring to a new river, & HOPEFULLY get a chance at a bear.

I have a place Close to Fairbanks that we kill good Moose every year & can still answer the phone for my business while Glassing so cant get too far away during Sept.

I appreciate the info though.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936

Hey there RJ I have had a customer that went up there moose hunting, He went up the river and he had to bring his airboat over so we could straighten it back out. The way he talked there were lots of rocks. He was hunting moose I think he said he seen one but that was it.

Are you talking about the east fork of the koyukuk where you launch at the bridge and go upstream?

I assumed he was talking about the South fork as it's the only one I know with a launching point.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Me too, I just got my directions messed up. I have been up from the bridge about 60 miles. There are two serious rock gardens that you need to get through. Going up under power is bad enough, going down under power is probably going to get your boat beat up. The first spot I can't remember how far up from the bridge it is. 15 miles plus or minus a couple? the second is around 26/27miles. Both are similar. You follow the left bank in the only deeper water then make a hard right and power up through a rock field. Coming down through this on step is where it gets nasty. I was with a friend that has two hoover craft. They go over rocks sticking out of the water as much as 6" without touching anything but the skirts. We had gone down from the bridge earlier and found wolf and or bear tracks on almost every sandy bank after the first few miles down river. Saw very few bear tracks up river. Down river should be much easier on your boat as well. There are shallow braided spots but we didn't find any rock gardens in the 10 or 12 miles we went down river. Going up river is not bad until you get to the first rock garden. Not many air boats go beyond that.

Great advise,

Thanks a lot for the heads up.

I have been wanting to go up there for a couple years but nervous till I talk to others that have done it.

I have an 18 foot Panther & a 14 foot home made Airboat that is pretty tough. we might take Both just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks again
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks