Thread: Unit 25b

Default Unit 25b

I'm looking into hunting unit 25B or C next year for Moose. Curently planning on using jet boat (have to get one bought yet). This will be my first forray into Moose hunting. I will have someone along with me that has experience, but he hasn't been into this unit either. Can anyone offer me any logistical information on the area, ie gas, acccessibility, etc etc. Not looking for anyone honey holes by any means.

Are the Kandik river, Little Black, paddle creek, etc navigable by jet boat? Any information that you all would share will be greatly appreciated.

These areas are going to be a backup plan in case we don't get drawn for another area. But I've learned the hard way in my youth that even a backup plan deserves as much attention to detail as a primary plan.

Thank you all again in advance.

Lots of native land along the rivers and creeks in that region..
    Accessibility: Check the native Corp land status maps for those areas you wanna go to...
    Gas: can be had in Ft. Yukon.
    Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Lots of native land along the rivers and creeks in that region..
    Accessibility: Check the native Corp land status maps for those areas you wanna go to...
    Gas: can be had in Ft. Yukon.
    Good luck...
    The gas station in Fort Yukon is nowhere near the boat launch. If you pulled up in a sled boat and needed to fill up 55 gal drums...good luck. Going by foot from the gas station to the boat launch is about 30 minutes. Gas was $7.50 a gal, it recently dropped to $6.90. Not cheap it sucks.

The two rivers you mention- Little Black and Kandik, how will you get to them? Kandik looks pretty far away, and I don't think the Little Black is very accessible either (never been there though).

If you drive to Circle you can launch into the Yukon. There is gas in Circle. I'll see if I can find out how safe it is to leave your vehicle there for an extended period of time while you are out on the river. Seems like most urban hunters head south (upriver towards Eagle).

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrek86 View Post
    The gas station in Fort Yukon is nowhere near the boat launch. If you pulled up in a sled boat and needed to fill up 55 gal drums...good luck. Going by foot from the gas station to the boat launch is about 30 minutes. Gas was $7.50 a gal, it recently dropped to $6.90. Not cheap it sucks.

The two rivers you mention- Little Black and Kandik, how will you get to them? Kandik looks pretty far away, and I don't think the Little Black is very accessible either (never been there though).

If you drive to Circle you can launch into the Yukon. There is gas in Circle. I'll see if I can find out how safe it is to leave your vehicle there for an extended period of time while you are out on the river. Seems like most urban hunters head south (upriver towards Eagle).
    Thank you! I honestly never put any thought into the safety of my vehicle while I was out. Never had an issue with it anywhere I've been in the lower 48.

As far as the rivers go, I was hoping to be able to get to them with the boat. Don't know if that's possible or if they're passable with a bigger (23') boat.

I am playing **ll trying to find maps that show the native land holdings though. I have searched the other threads here and found some links. I can't seem to get them to work to where they show the native lands. I am familiar with GIS mapping as my wife was deputy county assessor where we moved from and she introduced me to them a few years ago. They are an awesome tool for sure! I am assuming the Yukon Koyukuk borough must not subscribe to the GIS service.

SwampDonkey, thank you for the insight as well. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    Thank you! I honestly never put any thought into the safety of my vehicle while I was out. Never had an issue with it anywhere I've been in the lower 48.

As far as the rivers go, I was hoping to be able to get to them with the boat. Don't know if that's possible or if they're passable with a bigger (23') boat.

I am playing **ll trying to find maps that show the native land holdings though. I have searched the other threads here and found some links. I can't seem to get them to work to where they show the native lands. I am familiar with GIS mapping as my wife was deputy county assessor where we moved from and she introduced me to them a few years ago. They are an awesome tool for sure! I am assuming the Yukon Koyukuk borough must not subscribe to the GIS service.

SwampDonkey, thank you for the insight as well. Much appreciated.
    There is no such thing as the Yukon Koyukuk borough. The area is unincorporated.

Try this, gives you a general overview of land ownership-
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....gmumap&gmu=25

I was in 25b in mid September, just a little bit north of where you are looking at going. The water was unusually high. Even with that we were still hitting bottom and smashing into rocks. We were in a flat bottom boat, outboard motor. If your boat is shaped like a V then I imagine you might hit more often, but jet boats are supposed to go in shallow water right? The rivers were really pleasant, a nice change of pace from the surging Yukon.

There is no such thing as the Yukon Koyukuk borough. The area is unincorporated.

Try this, gives you a general overview of land ownership-
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....gmumap&gmu=25

I was in 25b in mid September, just a little bit north of where you are looking at going. The water was unusually high. Even with that we were still hitting bottom and smashing into rocks. We were in a flat bottom boat, outboard motor. If your boat is shaped like a V then I imagine you might hit more often, but jet boats are supposed to go in shallow water right? The rivers were really pleasant, a nice change of pace from the surging Yukon.
    I came up with the "Yukon Koyukuk Borough" from doing a search for a map of Alaska's boroughs while trying to find a GIS map for the area. Guess it just goes to show yet again that not everything you find on the internet is true...lol

Yes, Jet boats are supposed to run much shallower than traditional from what I've read. I am new to the jet boat thing, so I have have no real experience in them yet. I've owned many boats over the last 20 years, but none were jets. The plan is to get one bought before spring, that way I have all summer to get used to it, and load test etc etc before hunting season rolls around.

Thank you again for your time and help.

There is gas in Circle. I'll see if I can find out how safe it is to leave your vehicle there for an extended period of time while you are out on the river. Seems like most urban hunters head south (upriver towards Eagle).
    I've done what you say a few times. Always going upriver towards Eagle. Never had any problems with leaving my truck and trailer there.

Talked to some people they said it's safe to park. Was told urban hunters head upriver (south) and lots go to a place called "Charlie River". Not sure if it's spelled like that or another way.

In Circle, I park my truck/trailer in the grassy area on the river side of the store, there are always rigs parked there and I've never had any trouble.

It's all about water levels in terms of being navigable in a jet boat. Some years we get rains and higher water during moose season, some not. So whether it's the Charley, Kandik, Nation, Tatonduk, Seventymile...all you can do is motor up the first couple riffles and see how it goes. There is a reef at 3-mile Kandik that has been stopping a lot of boats last few years. It's shale sharp rocks and quite a few guys have holed boats there. It's important to remember that these rivers rise and recede fairly fast. Some guys go up and camp, don't realize river is on the high side, then it drops and they hole their boat coming back down.

Beautiful country, pool-and-riffle rivers with good grayling fishing, some nice public use cabins in Yukon-Charley Preserve along the Yukon between Circle and Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It's all about water levels in terms of being navigable in a jet boat. Some years we get rains and higher water during moose season, some not. So whether it's the Charley, Kandik, Nation, Tatonduk, Seventymile...all you can do is motor up the first couple riffles and see how it goes. There is a reef at 3-mile Kandik that has been stopping a lot of boats last few years. It's shale sharp rocks and quite a few guys have holed boats there. It's important to remember that these rivers rise and recede fairly fast. Some guys go up and camp, don't realize river is on the high side, then it drops and they hole their boat coming back down.

Beautiful country, pool-and-riffle rivers with good grayling fishing, some nice public use cabins in Yukon-Charley Preserve along the Yukon between Circle and Eagle.
    Priceless information to a new guy, Thank You!

Figuring out access to an area is a very important part of hunting any new area. Equally important in being successful is finding animals- if there are any. In two years of hunting upriver from Circle I've seen 2 moose. 9 days hunting and 2 moose. You can see more than that road hunting. What I'm getting at is there are miles and miles of area to hunt but you can't kill them where they don't live.

Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    Priceless information to a new guy, Thank You!
    Yes, great information. Having done this before, it's tough to go all that way only to get there and find out the river is too low. I have a hard time seeing myself go back to this area via jetboat.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Figuring out access to an area is a very important part of hunting any new area. Equally important in being successful is finding animals- if there are any. In two years of hunting upriver from Circle I've seen 2 moose. 9 days hunting and 2 moose. You can see more than that road hunting. What I'm getting at is there are miles and miles of area to hunt but you can't kill them where they don't live.
    How very true that is! That's why I have been spending so much time pouring over topo maps,reading biologist reports, asking questions, and last but not least watching my checkbook to see just how much of an "adventure" I can afford lol.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Yes, great information. Having done this before, it's tough to go all that way only to get there and find out the river is too low. I have a hard time seeing myself go back to this area via jetboat.
    I see exactly what you are saying there. I would assume only the major rivers have a constant flow/monitoring system. All the little tributary type that run into/out of the wider riparian type areas a roll of the dice at best as far as navigability from what I'm reading.