Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska's BUDGET and Alaska's FUTURE......Please not Political

Default Alaska's BUDGET and Alaska's FUTURE......Please not Political

Please "NO" Political RANTS. Question: To what extent does Alaska's economic future, including income tax and PFD inpact your decision to remain in Alaska or to move to or from Alaska.........???

Anchorage Daily news headline: "Alaska Gov. Walker proposes balanced budget with income tax, PFD cut"

Need information on what to expect? This is the place to discuss your move to the great white north!

http://www.adn.com/article/20151209/...me-tax-pfd-cut

I'm an Alaskan, always have been, always will be.

True Alaskans will stay, the other Ala$kan$ will pack their carpetbags and flee.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

And yes, it is possible to have this discussion from an economic impact prospective and keep it not politically charged.

Example: I as a senior citizen receive some Alaska benefits that impact the quality of my life, I can envision the loss of these, and there impact. (Note: not political, as much as economic)

I know or "knew" many "True Alaskans" who departed Alaska in the 80's rather than see their family starve to death, or file bankruptcy. Many ended up having to file bankruptcy anyway. Economics of Alaska employment can become "Cruel" quickly......(Oil is now down in the $30's and expected to continue down)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm an Alaskan, always have been, always will be.

True Alaskans will stay, the other Ala$kan$ will pack their carpetbags and flee.....

I was here in the 80's as well. Still here.

Alaska has been a Boom and Bust Economy since the first Russian Fur Trader. Nothing new there.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

It would take a lot for me to leave Alaska. At some point, it would hit a level where it would not be economically viable to remain up here, but that would take a lot. Up to that point, it is really just adjusting the level of comfort for me. There is far too much I like to do up here that I just can't do in any comparable way "down there". Depending on the time of year, even though I live in the biggest city in the state, I can still go fishing, biking, hiking, skiing (alpine or cross country) and even hunting without having to get in a vehicle to go anywhere. I'm not going anywhere unless something really serious happens (hmmm, maybe I should be finding some wood to knock on).

One of the impacts that I have noticed in my area, is that nearly all raw land sales have been to non-Alaskan residents. My guess is and it is only a guess........that most Alaskans (Being a younger demographic) tend to spend a large part of their income on things like ATV's, Snow Machines, Aircraft, Boats, etc. and have little remaining excess cash of land.

Where as Non-current residents see Alaska land as dirt cheap "Relative" to where they have lived their life, retired, and are now selling their home they have owner for 40 years that has appreciated by hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

This dynamic has and will impact the future of Alaska demographics, and the future expectations and requirements. This dynamic should be carefully considered if considering entry into the business of selling or servicing ATV's, Boats, Snow Machines, Aircraft, etc. as this market may get smaller, especially if there is a loss of high income employment.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One of the impacts that I have noticed in my area, is that nearly all raw land sales have been to non-Alaskan residents. My guess is and it is only a guess........that most Alaskans (Being a younger demographic) tend to spend a large part of their income on things like ATV's, Snow Machines, Aircraft, Boats, etc. and have little remaining excess cash of land.

Where as Non-current residents see Alaska land as dirt cheap "Relative" to where they have lived their life, retired, and are now selling their home they have owner for 40 years that has appreciated by hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

This dynamic has and will impact the future of Alaska demographics, and the future expectations and requirements. This dynamic should be carefully considered if considering entry into the business of selling or servicing ATV's, Boats, Snow Machines, Aircraft, etc. as this market may get smaller, especially if there is a loss of high income employment.
    Alaska sells, we're the "it" place, and folks with the expendable revenue are buying more than land.

Keeping this economical, and not political (also known as moonwalking on a razors edge), one could question why we're being asked to shoulder the income tax, and reduction in PFD, when so much of our revenue is spent on services that support non-residents.

Maybe a seasonal sales tax, May-Oct with a reversal of the Washington Rule. Show a valid Alaskan I.D. and no tax.

Likewise an increase in Non Rez Commercial Crewmans licenses, sport fishing/hunting licenses, guide licenses, business licenses, rates would be a boost.

Next up...Cruise ships.
    $250 head tax, per person.

Next, no longer footing the bill for Cruise Ship Railcars to be operated by SOA crews.

Non resident slope worker? Income Tax.

Non Resident Commercial Fisherman? Income Tax.

Non Resident Business Owner or employee? Income Tax.

It's time to start making up shortfalls by addressing those that take the cash and split.

Alaska sells, and we're getting sold out.....

There was an income tax when I arrived in Alaska and there will probably be one when I die in Alaska. So what is the problem?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

YES........I can support this general conception. Maybe not in every detail you listed, but in general theory.....YES.

Alaska sells, we're the "it" place, and folks with the expendable revenue are buying more than land.

Keeping this economical, and not political (also known as moonwalking on a razors edge), one could question why we're being asked to shoulder the income tax, and reduction in PFD, when so much of our revenue is spent on services that support non-residents.

Maybe a seasonal sales tax, May-Oct with a reversal of the Washington Rule. Show a valid Alaskan I.D. and no tax.

Likewise an increase in Non Rez Commercial Crewmans licenses, sport fishing/hunting licenses, guide licenses, business licenses, rates would be a boost.

Next up...Cruise ships.
    $250 head tax, per person.

Next, no longer footing the bill for Cruise Ship Railcars to be operated by SOA crews.

Non resident slope worker? Income Tax.

Non Resident Commercial Fisherman? Income Tax.

Non Resident Business Owner or employee? Income Tax.

It's time to start making up shortfalls by addressing those that take the cash and split.

Alaska sells, and we're getting sold out.....

Yes, I remember filing start income tax in the early 70's. Maybe a income tax on business's "NOT" based or headquartered in Alaska, could be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    There was an income tax when I arrived in Alaska and there will probably be one when I die in Alaska. So what is the problem?

This Alaska State budget short-fall is going to be a serious "Fight". That will accelerate year after year. You, each and every one of us needs to prepare to fight for that which directly impacts your family the most.

I would like to see a minimum allowable sentence of 6 months in prison, for fraudulently receiving or applying for Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend. OK..That was a bald'face lie. The truth is that I would like to see anyone convicted of fraudulently applying for or receiving Alaska PFD hung by the neck till dead.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would like to see a minimum allowable sentence of 6 months in prison, for fraudulently receiving or applying for Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend.
    Which would require how much dwindling State Funds to implement?

Fraudulent PFD cases should require a repayment of all prior dividends, legit or not, and disallowed future applications, legit or not (which I believe is already the case). And revocation of any and all current (or denial of future) hunting/fishing/crew member/business licenses.

NOTE, that I added my true feeling as an after-thought. (The truth is that I would like to see anyone convicted of fraudulently applying for or receiving Alaska PFD hung by the neck till dead).

Which would require how much dwindling State Funds to implement?

Fraudulent PFD cases should require a repayment of all prior dividends, legit or not, and disallowed future applications, legit or not (which I believe is already the case). And revocation of any and all current hunting/fishing/crew member/business licenses.

The last time I lived in Alaska there was no pfd. My coming back to her doesn't need pfd money. I would gladly pay taxes to live there.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

AlaskaHippie; My Constitutional Law classes are over 30 years old, but your plan to put an income tax on non-res only would probably violate the Equal Protection Clause, I think. Even though I kind of like it.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    AlaskaHippie; My Constitutional Law classes are over 30 years old, but your plan to put an income tax on non-res only would probably violate the Equal Protection Clause, I think. Even though I kind of like it.

Likely so.

But a guy can dream.

All of the comments made by the previous posters are well reasoned and thoughtfull, but having said that........What does Donald Trump think!!?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    All of the comments made by the previous posters are well reasoned and thoughtfull, but having said that........What does Donald Trump think!!?
    Welllllllll if we considered non residents as temporary refugees....

Again. A guy can dream.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast