Thread: ADF&G Muzzle Loader Certification

Default ADF&G Muzzle Loader Certification

Skip to last line for question...

Santa showed up early for my good buddy who just received his Traditions Pursuit in .50cal yesterday--sweet setup! His problem, however, is that he cannot get state-certified until next year and he is wondering if there are any "civilians" who can administer the state's practical portion of the test. He is even willing to pay extra just so that he can get it prior to the closure of the draw hunt application period.

Yes, yes, I've already given him crap about the whole contrivance of last-minute "need" and he has already called ADF&G about the certification...and was promptly shut down. My question is:

Does anybody perform muzzle loader practicals outside of the courses on the ADF&G website?

Took the class a few years back, to the best of my knowledge nobody does or is approved to put on a class outside ADF&G. Secondly, today is 12/9, the deadline for drawing permits is next Tuesday...6 days from now on 12/15/2015. Are you serious about even remotely thinking a guy could get muzzleloader certified in the next 6 days? The saying about "wishing in one hand" comes to mind.

Yes, the guy is that ambitious. I think that his motto would be more along the lines of "time is money" and "money talks". Thanks for the input as I didn't think that anyone offered classes outside of ADF&G.

Perhaps he might take some of that money he thought he might throw around to buy a quickie muzzle stuffer cert., and actually get a true smoke pole. It's only my opinion FWIW, but if yer stuffing pellets in the breach...a muzzleloader it is not. Just remind him that optics are a no go in Alaska. Good luck and happy hunting.

There is an online course that is available. But then he would still have to do a proficiency test at the range. Not sure what days they do that but may be worth looking into. If the stars align he could do the online class in a day and the proficiency over the weekend. Best case scenario. Good luck
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

An interesting twist I'm encountering w/ adf&g and their qualification course is that they do not allow scopes to be used for the qualification or for 'muzzleloader only' hunts. I drew DM783, which is muzzleloader, archery or crossbow, so I'm scratching my head to see if scopes are allowed or not
    So far, no one from adf&g can give me an answer, but I'm curious to see how this shakes out.
    In the meantime, I'm having to postpone qualifying this weekend, as my CVS Wolf I ordered to use on this hunt came w/ scope & sights removed. New sights are on order, but expect it will be a week or so before I get them in hand.

i was told by fish & game you can hunt with a scope on a ML only in a any weapon hunt. so no scope for DM783

Thats what I was going to say also. Any time there is a weapons restriction (Muzzleloader only) you can't use a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by bows4me View Post
    An interesting twist I'm encountering w/ adf&g and their qualification course is that they do not allow scopes to be used for the qualification or for 'muzzleloader only' hunts. I drew DM783, which is muzzleloader, archery or crossbow, so I'm scratching my head to see if scopes are allowed or not
    So far, no one from adf&g can give me an answer, but I'm curious to see how this shakes out.
    In the meantime, I'm having to postpone qualifying this weekend, as my CVS Wolf I ordered to use on this hunt came w/ scope & sights removed. New sights are on order, but expect it will be a week or so before I get them in hand.
    It is in bold type on page 20 of the hunting regulations under "muzzleloader" (top center of page). Scopes are not allowed in weapons restricted hunts as noted by others. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...7E/general.pdf

Agreed, it's pretty clear that you cannot use a scope for a muzzleloader ONLY hunt, however DM783 is muzzleloader, bow and arrow or crossbow (which has no scope restriction and up until this yr was considered the same as other high powered rifles). It's semantics, I know, but there's definitely room for clarification. The interesting part is the confusion amongst the adfg people you ask and their uncertainty on the answer.