Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flathorn/Figure 8?

Default Flathorn/Figure 8?

Anybody brave enough to try the trail yet? Im just wondering if it's in good enough shape for a side by side or snowmachine yet

Haven't been that far south but trails I'm guessing are crusty with small amount of fresh snow on top. You should be fine on wheels or a snowmachine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks. What concerns me is the Little Su crossing and the small creek on Flathorn that comes in right where the trail hits the lake.

take a run an see what is going on, it will be a good trip in the out doors
    SID

Side by sides r much heavier than a wheeler or snowgo. Id check little su ice thickness before running one across it

Must be good to go. My neighbor has been all the way across from Alexander creek with a sled load of barrels. Don't take my word for it though because I'm on the Big Island where it's 80 with no ice! ..... Except in my Rum glass!

I was there last weekend, fishing was slow and the trail was already torn up by wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    I was there last weekend, fishing was slow and the trail was already torn up by wheelers.

Four wheelers don't tear up the trail..........Townies do!

Anything with wheels tears up the winter trails. If it was actually a 4-wheeler trail they would run it in the summer...they don't. It's a snowmachine trail. Wheelers should stay off it and not tear it up. For those of us that live out there and have to haul freight on those trails the wheeler tracks are a major pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
    Anything with wheels tears up the winter trails. If it was actually a 4-wheeler trail they would run it in the summer...they don't. It's a snowmachine trail. Wheelers should stay off it and not tear it up. For those of us that live out there and have to haul freight on those trails the wheeler tracks are a major pain.

Tikka, you will find that most don't care. They think it is their God giving right!

Thought the refuge had a weight limit? How are they running side by sides?
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Why does this thread always turn into finger pointing. Let's just talk some fishing gentleman. And yes no snowmachiner likes fighting the ruts that a few mouth breathers leave.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

The State Law reads as follows:

Re: Susitna Flats State Game Refuge -Off-Road Vehicle Use

OFF-ROAD VEHICLES
    Less than 1,000 Lbs GVW
    The off-road use of any wheeled, tracked, or other ground effect motorized vehicle less than one thousand pounds (1,000 lbs) gross vehicle weight (inclusive of operator and gear) is authorized from November 9 through March 31 in the following areas provided the following conditions exist:

On the Enstar Gas Pipeline right-of-way and marked trails to Figure Eight Lake and Flat Horn Lake (see attached map) provided there is sufficient ground frost to prevent the penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots.
    On all refuge lands, provided there is at least a twelve inch (12") snow cover and sufficient ground frost to prevent the penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots.

So, legally wheelers CAN use the trail if the above conditions are present. I would just ask them to respect the fact that some people use that trail as access to their homes. When it is crisscrossed with 2 foot deep frozen ruts it becomes dangerous, and at times impassable hauling freight. A little respect and common sense would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Why does this thread always turn into finger pointing. Let's just talk some fishing gentleman. And yes no snowmachiner likes fighting the ruts that a few mouth breathers leave.

A few mouth breathers? Dude there's more than a few! Tell you what Chase, why don't I let you stay at our home on Alexander Creek for one week and I 'all let you spend a few days hauling my fuel in across the trail and You might change your mind about a few things! I even let you use my equipment!

OFF-ROAD VEHICLES
    Less than 1,000 Lbs GVW
    The off-road use of any wheeled, tracked, or other ground effect motorized vehicle less than one thousand pounds (1,000 lbs) gross vehicle weight (inclusive of operator and gear) is authorized from November 9 through March 31 in the following areas provided the following conditions exist:

On the Enstar Gas Pipeline right-of-way and marked trails to Figure Eight Lake and Flat Horn Lake (see attached map) provided there is sufficient ground frost to prevent the penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots.
    On all refuge lands, provided there is at least a twelve inch (12") snow cover and sufficient ground frost to prevent the penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots.

So, legally wheelers CAN use the trail if the above conditions are present. I would just ask them to respect the fact that some people use that trail as access to their homes. When it is crisscrossed with 2 foot deep frozen ruts it becomes dangerous, and at times impassable hauling freight. A little respect and common sense would be nice.

Yes it would be nice!

How thick was the ice?

I fished figure 8 this past weekend. Ice was 12 to 15 inches easily. I took my wheeler like i do in the summer and the trail is fine. There is a side where the snowmachines ride and a single trail where the wheelers were riding. So back to fishing and not crying about trails.... The pike were hungry. I couldnt set my tip ups fast enough. I will be out this weekend and the next weekend as well. Good luck

Akfisher, you have me curious as to just how you get across the Little Su to ride your "wheeler like I do in the summer"...not to mention the swamps and small lakes after the power lines???

OFF-ROAD VEHICLES
    Less than 1,000 Lbs GVW

I noticed last year the Troopers were actually enforcing the low snow rule. In the Pt. Mac parking lot I talked to a guy with a tracked side by side that a smokie spanked with a ticket. These regulations are a bit nebulous, because there is hardly ever 12 inches of snow on the wind-blown section of the gas line trail (between the Flathorn cut-off and the Figure 8 trail junction). So if you have a side by side out on this trail your chances of getting ticket go up if a) there is a trooper in the parking lot or on the trail and b) he is in a grumpy mood because he was not able to take a poop that morning (whether there is 12 inches of snow or not is not always the reason you get a ticket, because snow depths on the trail vary greatly).

[QUOTE=akfisher;1515767]I fished figure 8 this past weekend. Ice was 12 to 15 inches easily. I took my wheeler like i do in the summer and the trail is fine.

How do you take your four wheeler to Flat horn in the summer? By plane?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast