Thread: Reflecting back on simpler times....

Default Reflecting back on simpler times....

The complexity of the ever expanding fish regs these days entails printing FOUR magazine-sized documents, one for each region of the state.

I can remember when the regs for the ENTIRE state were a puny little booklet about the size of a 3 x 5 photo that would conveniently fit into my back pocket.

The "special" king salmon rule rules for all of Cook Inlet took up only 2 pages of that tiny little booklet.

My how things have changed....

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I can remember when the regs for the ENTIRE state were a puny little booklet about the size of a 3 x 5 photo that would conveniently fit into my back pocket.
    I can remember when we used to dump PCB laden waste oil on our roads to control dust; fog our women, children, houses and villages with DDT to control mosquitoes; spray our apple orchards with lead arsenate to control coddling moths; and worse. Simpler times weren't smarter times...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ah, back before the word got out, and access got easier. I think I still have an old Jim Repine book in a box somewhere.

Thanks, Doc.

'Taiga. In full agreement with your points as well, and it brought to mind two words that still make me cringe and grin....and not necessarily in that order.

Lawn Darts.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Oh man I remember those reg books………..when I was growing up it was my job to bring the book………..yeah I think I was like 7?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Ah, back before the word got out, and access got easier. I think I still have an old Jim Repine book in a box somewhere.
    I had that same little Jim Repine book... like 4 x 4 inches square with really THICK almost cardstock pages. Most every fish species discussed was depicted with a Hunter-Fisher Taxidermy mount and a short fish story about the critter. I remember him writing about how chum were notorious NON-biters.... unless you had the magic bare GOLD hook. I think that was the birth of flossing before folks even realized what was actually happening.

Obviously the KwikFish had yet to become an Alaskan staple for river salmon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Obviously the KwikFish had yet to become an Alaskan staple for river salmon.
    Not really. Before your time in the 60's and 70's many of us faithfully used the old Helin/Flatfish. KwikFish was just a late-come knock-off brand (and still is) that started showing up in the early 80's back when Luhr Jensen had them (before Rapala). Their only advantage was a better hook. Even during the Jim Repine days flatfish like Tadpolly's and Wigglers were most popular. What hadn't become a staple was the method they were used.