Thread: Juvenile Lynx

Default Juvenile Lynx

On my last check I caught a 29-30" lynx kitten. Can anyone advise me on my best option as far as selling it? I've never caught such a small one and I have a feeling it wouldn't do so well with NAFA. Is there any particular market (taxidermy maybe?) that likes the little guys more? Beautiful little cat, stretched out really pretty for me. Fur is soft as can be, but a bird seemed to have beat me back to it and pecked a little hole in the stomach, maybe an inch long. Also picked up what I'm assuming was his mother in my next snare twenty yards up the trail. As always, thanks for the help guys.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Call a few taxidermists. Sometimes they have standing orders from companies that are working on specialty displays like Cabelas, etc.

x2 A kit and mom would make a unique mount. We have two kittens playing together that gets lots of compliments. Better than the standard "one foot catching a bird" lynx mounts.

This is the second kitten I've heard of this year! Try http://www.taxidermy.net/ they have a forum for people selling stuff for taxidermy which does include animals.

What size are we talking when you guys refer to kittens? My first lynx was definitely far smaller than my second, and I assumed that it was a first-year cat. That said, it was still a good ~15 pounds or more with plenty of useable fur.

First one. Juvenile?

Second one from two days later, taken in the same spot - much larger:

Side by side - the two furs on the left:

Thoughts? Is this similar to the size of the kitten that you took, taking into account that mine were harvested in February?

Interesting to say the least! I've been extremely fortunate with my lynx trapping in my first four trapping seasons, and all seven but this juvenile have been larges or better, so it could entirely be that I'm used to seeing bigger ones up close. Also according to NAFA, anything under 31" is just considered to be a small. Throw a tape from nose to tail on that smaller one sometime, Brian, and see what it comes out to. Little hard to tell from the pic but I think they could've been around the same age for sure. The dead giveaway for me with this one as far as it being a juvenile was that he still had his baby K9 teeth on top of his new adult ones. Not sure how common that is for them but I thought it was super cool.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    The dead giveaway for me with this one as far as it being a juvenile was that he still had his baby K9 teeth on top of his new adult ones. Not sure how common that is for them but I thought it was super cool.
    Shot these three wolves and they seemed a little on the small side but I didn't think they were pups. My guess is that they were about 80 lbs. each. Anyhow after close inspection I noticed that some of their baby teeth were still present. A lot the adult teeth were emerging but they were definitely young.