Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another day, another "reality show" hunting violation

Default Another day, another "reality show" hunting violation

>>LINK<<

Some familiar names.

(Should've titled this "Illegally Blonde")
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

should say "former" film crew. They shoulda just fessed up from the get go.

The film crew reported the violation,,, so who is really doing the dirty dealing???? Probably only time this has ever happened.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If I recall correctly it was also the film crew that turned in the Kilchers for using a helicopter on a bear hunt.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Saw this last week on the State Trooper dispatch.

Film crews don't make enough to pay the fines associated, makes sense.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

I watched a couple episodes of her hunting show Limitless and was amazed at her incompetence as a hunter; even when guided. She is pretty and fills out a camo top very well though, apparently explaining why she has a hunting show.

Can't believe her guides tried to cover this up. Very dumb!

Not surprised by this since all these reality "hunters" seem to be doing this lately. What happens to the guides in this situation? Shouldn't they lose the ability to be a guide in Alaska? I would hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Film crews don't make enough to pay the fines associated, makes sense.
    the crew is probably hired locally therefore there is a chance they know the hunting laws and the reason why they are the ones reporting the crimes. An out state crew probably wouldn't know or even care. As far as the guides go well that's another issue and IMO fueled by greed.

AKBC you are absolutely correct on this. I believe the one episode I watched she shot the wrong elk, a spike & 6pt standing in the open, the guide tells her to shoot & she drops the spike. She needs to be taken off the air, & the guides needed to be severely reprimanded as well.

Film crews are usually an amalgamation of freelance short term workers who work for a production company, often traveling many places over the course of a year.

If the film crew dosent report all violations, they are liable too. They usually have what we call a "safety guy" who cooks, watches for Bears, and such. He keeps a 'diary" and any and all violations get reported. Theres no secrets on a filming, and the film gets reviewed for such when its edited down. Fact checking and all....at least if they are serious, but crap often is the best they got, in most 'reality" shows, and it shows.

At least in my experience of doing such.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'm thinking somebody on the crew knew that what went down wasn't legit. Hunt was May 18-27, violation reported on May 3....which is just about enough time to get back to town, get unpacked, collect your paycheck and then call ADFG.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Killing can get complicated and accidents happen, no shame in that. If she would have notified F&G only she would have been responsible and would have probably got an over bag limit citation.

IMHO, any professional guide that that sells a client a tag after a kill and lies to cover up any violation, should loose their privilege to guide hunters. This is a grievous ethics violation and speaks to what else they are willing to do. This is not a slap on the wrist type violation IMHO, more like one and done.
    Founding Member

This (Sorry wish I could rep you):

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Killing can get complicated and accidents happen, no shame in that. If she would have notified F&G only she would have been responsible and would have probably got an over bag limit citation.

IMHO, any professional guide that that sells a client a tag after a kill and lies to cover up any violation, should loose their privilege to guide hunters. This is a grievous ethics violation and speaks to what else they are willing to do. This is not a slap on the wrist type violation IMHO, more like one and done.
    100% agree. Mistakes DO happen, and this could have been resolved as you stated.
    Interestingly this gal has a Facebook fan page, I posted a link to the article on there, the post was pulled and I was blocked from posting further. Another person posted the same link, it was pulled as well and now I see the ability for folks to post there has been disabled entirely.

That says a lot.

As to the guide, you're also 100% correct. Issuing a tag after the animal is down,and doctoring the paperwork is a blatant act of....well, lots of things that'll not be allowed to be posted here.

I flew out of Bethel all season, and when I left in mid September he still had his aircraft and was operating. Business as usual....

Incredible. I have seen a couple of her shows, and yes, as far as I'm concerned, she's a bit of an embarrassment to women hunters. A lot of pretty blonde, but not a lot of outdoor common sense.
    The guides? Renfro's is kind of a well-known name for bear guides, isn't it? I see their ads all over the place. As someone else said, I can't imagine they tried to cover it up. And as stid said, this is a grievous ethics violation. As for Theresa, she needs to lose her show in addition to whatever the legal ramifications are. The NRA should drop any and all association with her. Making a mistake on a hunt is one thing, that can happen. But a cover up? They went to a bit of trouble to cover it up.
    An all those stupid reality shows; how about we get rid of ALL of them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Genna-AK View Post
    The guides? Renfro's is kind of a well-known name for bear guides, isn't it?
    Yes he is..... surprises the heck outta me that he would take that kind of chance....

Quote Originally Posted by Genna-AK View Post
    An all those stupid reality shows; how about we get rid of ALL of them!!!
    I wish.... But even people on this forum watch them (like AK. Bush Morons) all the time and get a big kick out of them. I try to tell em' that if people would just stop watching they wouldn't have the ratings and they'd go away.....but I know it just falls on deaf ears. All in the name of "entertainment".......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Another story of the bust.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bf70f...ing-violations

I'm confused by this statement in the story.

"Vail also is charged with unsworn falsification, another misdemeanor. Prosecutor Aaron Peterson in a criminal complaint said Vail signed and backdated a big game tag record to make it appear she had purchased the tag before shooting the bear."

Now you are only allowed one Grizzly/Brown bear tag per year in Alaska, so was she trying to buy a second tag here? or did she not even have a brown bear tag in the first place when this all went down?
    There are 2 bear areas, and SW is one of them.
    Founding Member

I was just reading the regs and saw that. My mistake.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    She is pretty...
    Eye of the beholder...I see a woman with more paint troweled on her than my cabin has on it's walls... Yuck.

That aside, I agree wholeheartedly with posts 13, 14, 15. (Sorry Genna, I tried..."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Genna-AK again.").

If I were king for a day, not only would there be no reimbursement for these shows filming in Alaska, but they would be required to post a VERY LARGE cash bond, and pay for a requisite full time ADF&G monitor. Any game violation would forfeit their bond, in addition to all applicable legal ramifications.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

One thing that surprises me is that the guide service went along with it...with a CAMERA CREW present. Without witnesses and footage, it's just one guys word against another, but when you film it with witnesses....

Talk about tying the noose that hangs you...

Makes you wonder about what goes on when there isn't a film crew around.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast