Thread: Finally started setting the line

Default Finally started setting the line

The weather down here on the Peninsula had been warm and wet for the first 2 1/2 weeks of the season. We finally had a week of cold and a little snow, river levels dropped and today I was able to get the line going. Much more marten sign than last year. Last season I didn't get any marten below 1200' elevation. Today I crossed tracks from the bottom (500') all the way to the top (1600'). On the way back out found a marten in the first set put out today, looked like it had been bitten by another marten after being caught and the bait was completely gone. Last year didn't cross one bunny track all season, found quite a few today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575_JPG.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	87646
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Nice ... wish I had marten on this side of the Peninsula.

The ground is still green under that tree! Crazy!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Walking conditions were great that day, not so much anymore. It's been snowing steady down here, there was about 12" on the ground last check and 12-18 more expected this week. It will be interesting to see how the furbearers react to it, the higher elevation sets haven't had any action so far.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.