Thread: Generic Bino Question

Question Generic Bino Question

Without getting into a brand flame war...for a pair of binos used to spot game, both on foot and on ATV, I have decided on going with something about 10 power for many reasons. My QUESTION is, what are people's opinion, within the same Brand, do you feel on an 10x42 versus a 10x50? The good, the bad, and the ugly are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I've never used a 10x50 besides picking up a pair in the store, but I sure prefer the small size and weight of the 10x42 - especially if it will be used in part on foot.

The thing that would be better about the 10x50s over the 42s is its light gathering ability. I read a pretty high tech article a number of years ago about binos. It was said, for best light gathering ability at a minimum for hunting, you should be able to divide the magnification power into the objective size by at least a factor of 5. To me, light gathering and field of view is a very high priority....need to spot them first then can bring out the spotter. I chose a Sworo, 7x42 which gives me a factor of 6. Their light gathering is beyond amazing. Field of view helps as well as you can scan a larger area quite a bit without moving the binos as much. I realize that a lot of guys choose a higher magnification, and that's alright, but it's not the only thing that's important....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A crappy pair of 10x50's will be worse than a mediocre/decent set of 10x42's. There is more to the equation than the size of the objective lens. The ability to resolve detail is what gives a good image. A pair of Zeiss 10x25's will resolve more detail and give a better image than el' cheapo 10x50's.

Given the same same quality (or lack thereof) I'd choose 10x42 over 10x50 for ease of carry, etc. Image quality in cheap glass won't be better enough to make any difference by going to the 50's. Probably cost you more too.

Save some money and go up a level or two in quality.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The thing that would be better about the 10x50s over the 42s is its light gathering ability. I read a pretty high tech article a number of years ago about binos. It was said, for best light gathering ability at a minimum for hunting, you should be able to divide the magnification power into the objective size by at least a factor of 5. To me, light gathering and field of view is a very high priority....need to spot them first then can bring out the spotter. I chose a Sworo, 7x42 which gives me a factor of 6. Their light gathering is beyond amazing. Field of view helps as well as you can scan a larger area quite a bit without moving the binos as much. I realize that a lot of guys choose a higher magnification, and that's alright, but it's not the only thing that's important....
    Yup, then next pair of binos I buy will probably be 7 or 8x42. Also, with 7 or 8 rather than 10 a lot of the jiggle goes away. Much steadier image.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again