Thread: Salewa Raven Combi GTX Boots

Default Salewa Raven Combi GTX Boots

Thanks to threads here on mountaineering boots, I finally found a boot that fits my skinny heels! Several folks recommended this boot and apparently love them too. So I was wanting to waterproof the seams and was wondering what others have used on this boot. I have a tub of Obendauf's leather preservative, but this boot has some cordura-type fabric, a neoprene ankle collar, and some leather that appears to be coated in some synthetic rubber-like coating. Any suggestions? Think it's ok just to rub the Obendauf's into all the material?

FYI - I emailed the company several weeks ago asking, but no answer yet.

Raven Combis are Gore-Tex lined, and waterproof. Obenauf's has a spray bottle applicator that is made for fabrics, it's different than the paste cream and dobber bottle formula. I **would not** use any creams or gels and rub it into the fabric, it will ruin any breathability. Best bet may be some Nik-Wax DWR spray on formula made for breathable fabrics.

I have this same bot and have taken them on many, many hunts. The ultimate test is Kodiak in November, where they he'd up fine and kept my feet dry. I just spray them with the stuff from Fred-Meyer that is designed for gore-tex fabrics. It costs somewhere around $5 and works well. Three years and still ticking. I though about getting another pair... but, the old ones do not have a problem yet. FYI if you want a lighter low-top version for training in the summer (fit is the same) look into the GTX trainer by Salewa. Have those too and they are great for everyday use.

Thanks to you both for the advice; it is greatly appreciated. I've got a couple of cans of the DWR spray and will try them.

xcrnr, thanks also for the tip on the trainers!