Thread: Another pistol...

Default Another pistol...

Me and the grandsons were in 3 Bears here in Kenai last night. They have a 10% of all guns sale going on. I told my grandsons Rule # 5 of the gun rules is to buy a new gun every year. So I now have that little single stack 9mm Glock 43. When I hold it next to my un-fired Glock 42 in .380 the 2 are very similar. So now I will have to freeze my butt off and see how it shoots.

If it works ok it will get dressed up with a set of Warren Tactical 2 Lamp night sights and a U.S. Grunt Gear IWB holster and magazine carrier. It is small enough for me to put in a jean or coat pocket, if I carry it that way it will be in Condition 3. I might be selling the little .380.

Many years a go I was watching some films of British and Israeli high speed teams drawing their Condition 3 Browning Hi Power belt carried pistols and firing them with some very impressive accuracy and speed. I'm not them, but with some practice I got better. I still go with Condition 1 when I am wearing my pistols in a holster.

Any of you already shooting that little Glock 43?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Me and the grandsons were in 3 Bears here in Kenai last night. They have a 10% of all guns sale going on.
    Thanks for this.......guess I gotta go take a ride....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any of you already shooting that little Glock 43?
    Not yet but just bought one Saturday as well....nice gun.

What the hell is condition 1 or 3?

Anyways, my wife has it as her carry gun and she loves it. It's a little snappy compared to my full size when shooting, but it's much easier to conceal!

Condition 1 is ready to fire other than safety if it has one. Condition 2 is with an empty chamber, loaded magazine and safety on if it has one. Condition 3 is completely empty chamber opened.

Condition 3? When would this condition be justified? I usually carry a FNS-40 these days...the one without a safety so I carry it condition 2. I consider this 100% safe as one can not chamber a round without first thinking about working the slide then actually doing it. In condition 3 is the magazine loaded and just not in the gun? If that's the case I can see the purpose in that.

I know several folk in these parts rushed out and got 43s when they became available. I figured that with at least a couple of these folk once the new wore off they would be up for sale at a slightly reduced price. Thats not happening. All 8 guys that come to mind that have them won't part with them.

Local law enforcement is finding a new meth lab weekly in this county. Meth heads are a different creature their adrenalin is running wild all the time. I never considered a 380 or 9mm enough carry gun because of meth and angel dust. However the new 9mm ammo has some pretty impressive numbers and one in a 43 would be the perfect pocket gun.......I'm about 1 Glock 43 thread away from owning one myself!

EKC: I really like my S&W Shield for discreet carry times but I was interested in the 43 and all I needed to do was handle it to make up my mind to own it. I think that unless you want to spend some money- you shouldn't handle it! LOL

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Condition 1 is ready to fire other than safety if it has one. Condition 2 is with an empty chamber, loaded magazine and safety on if it has one. Condition 3 is completely empty chamber opened.
    Thanks for explaining those conditions. I've never paid much attention to that stuff, thinking it only complicated the confusion.

Assuming, you didn't make it all up, for me, it depends on the way the gun works, which condition I carry it.

Assuming we talkin bout Auto's ONLY???

My Walther PPK, condition 1. (Chamber loaded, Magazine loaded Safety on or off.) ..... I consider it Safe to carry that way, since it is a DA/SA for the first shot and auto for the rest.....

My Ruger MK III, condition 2. (Chamber empty, Magazine loaded, Safety on or off.) ...... I consider it Unsafe to carry in condition 1, since it is SA for the first shot, and I don't trust a Safety, alone to make it safe, for carry.

Am I right about the conditions? Am I missing anything.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well forgive me if I caused any confusion with all this Condition talk. I'm getting old and could probably use a refresher course with a good Hand Gun Instructor again. I will say it this way. If I am carrying a semi auto pistol in my pocket it will have an empty chamber and a fully loaded magazine inserted. If I don't have enough time to draw and rack the slide then shame on me.

If I am carrying a semi auto pistol in a holster on my belt it will have a loaded chamber and if it has an external safety the safety will be on and a fully loaded magazine will be in the pistol. Whew, hope I got that right this time.

Gets confusing as the striker fired Glock does not have an external safety, except for the one on the front of the trigger, which I don't count. But, my single action 1911 and Hi Power has an external hammer and safety.

I don't care for the double action autos, but many do. I do like the little double action Walther .380 though.

Most of my formal hand gun training was by instructors who attended Gun Sight years ago when Jeff Cooper ran the place. He is credited with developing and promoting the "Modern Technique" of the pistol. He also was usually addressing the 1911 single action semi auto when he spoke and it can be confusing with the Glock and other striker fired pistols. For example, there is no way I am aware of to carry a Glock pistol in Condition 2.

The terminology that is used in semi auto transition and other hand gun courses is pretty lengthy and still evolving. There are a few things that have stayed consistent with semi auto pistols though, and I took the liberty of doing the copy paste thing to help explain it.

These Conditions of Fire are not the same as the ones used to describe the Conditions of Fire for an 870 shot gun.

For your viewing pleasure.

Condition 0 – Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is OFF; full magazine in gun.

Condition 1 – (Also known as “Cocked and Locked”)- Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is ON; full magazine in gun.

Condition 2 – Round in the chamber; hammer down; full magazine in gun.

Condition 3 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; full magazine in gun. Note: "This is how I do pocket carry with a Glock"

Condition 4 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; NO magazine in the gun.

Most of my formal hand gun training was by instructors who attended Gun Sight years ago when Jeff Cooper ran the place. He is credited with developing and promoting the "Modern Technique" of the pistol. He also was usually addressing the 1911 single action semi auto when he spoke and it can be confusing with the Glock and other striker fired pistols. For example, there is no way I am aware of to carry a Glock pistol in Condition 2.

The terminology that is used in semi auto transition and other hand gun courses is pretty lengthy and still evolving. There are a few things that have stayed consistent with semi auto pistols though, and I took the liberty of doing the copy paste thing to help explain it.

These Conditions of Fire are not the same as the ones used to describe the Conditions of Fire for an 870 shot gun.

For your viewing pleasure.

Condition 0 – Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is OFF; full magazine in gun.

Condition 1 – (Also known as “Cocked and Locked”)- Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is ON; full magazine in gun.

Condition 2 – Round in the chamber; hammer down; full magazine in gun.

Condition 3 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; full magazine in gun. Note: "This is how I do pocket carry with a Glock"

Condition 4 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; NO magazine in the gun.
    OK once I got growed up I learned what cocked and locked meant. My Dad, Grandpa and uncles were always telling me that I was always going off half cocked. My single action pistolas have a half cocked position and they are harmless when in the half cock position and there ain't no chance that they can go off in that position. Yet I could. I always thought they were being sarcastic😯. Maybe not?

If you carry a CC weapon with an empty chamber and a fully loaded magazine, I recommend you go to the range and do some test firing, some autos will not load a round from the mag if the mag is full, try a Kimber solo, 9mm, it will jam and the slide will not go any direction, you have to drop the mag and start over. If you have only 5 rounds in the mag, all is well. This is not preferred in a combat situation. Always go to the range and try out what you think will happen when CC. Draw from your CC position, fire a round, replace pistol, and do it again, get your mussel memory built up to make it automatic. Whatever condition you carry in, make sure if you switch weapons you continue with the same condition with the next weapon.

The half cock term is from flintlock days. after firing you pull the hammer to half cock to reload. They are not supposed to go off at half cock but with guns being made by anyone that thought he could, sometimes it happened. So going off half cocked is to start something before you are ready.

Wal, Shucky Gee,,,, I thought I had those condition fingered out, but now, I'm cornfoosed.

And, I thought "Cocked and Locked" only applied to 1911s.

Forget it. I've had it with this stuff. I know the condition of my guns, and I don't need to apply a number to it. The whole idea of numbering is nothing more than Expertism. I'm sure of it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty your killing me. Some thing tells me you get confused about as easy as Phil Robertson of Duck Commander fame. A red neck looking and acting guy with a high IQ, college degrees, bunch of money and high principals!

Cocked and locked applies to my wonderful custom Browning Hi Power too. A beautiful shooting single action pistol with a thumb safety. For years the British SAS and Israeli Team Guys carried that pistol in Condition 3. Training films show them drawing, racking the slide to chamber a round and firing accurate rounds in a hurry. But, those guys are highly trained and exceptional.

You ever fire that little Walther of yours from your pocket? I have done it with a S&W J Frame revolver that has and internal hammer. Can't hit much, ruins a good pocket and now that my belly is so big I don't practice it since it never was the safest thing to do.

Just trying to suck you back into the conversation. Have a great day and Merry Christmas!

Smitty your killing me. Some thing tells me you get confused about as easy as Phil Robertson of Duck Commander fame. A red neck looking and acting guy with a high IQ, college degrees, bunch of money and high principals!

Cocked and locked applies to my wonderful custom Browning Hi Power too. A beautiful shooting single action pistol with a thumb safety. For years the British SAS and Israeli Team Guys carried that pistol in Condition 3. Training films show them drawing, racking the slide to chamber a round and firing accurate rounds in a hurry. But, those guys are highly trained and exceptional.

You ever fire that little Walther of yours from your pocket? I have done it with a S&W J Frame revolver that has and internal hammer. Can't hit much, ruins a good pocket and now that my belly is so big I don't practice it since it never was the safest thing to do.

Just trying to suck you back into the conversation. Have a great day and Merry Christmas!
    I was tryin to weasel out of the conversation.

I do, get confused pretty easy.

It doesn't seem feasible to shoot an Auto Pistol from the pocket. Aren't pocket pistols spose to be removed from the pocket before firing?

My thumb has 2 knuckles, and the one furtherest from my thumbnail really takes a beating from the PPK.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.