Thread: Unit 16 ice

Default Unit 16 ice

Anyone been out shell lake area in the recent past? any idea on ice? looking to head out next week and figured I would ask.

My friend landed at small lake west of figure eight and said it was 12" when he drilled for ice fishing. This was two days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't answer your question but this shows a few lake thickness around the state.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/php/icedb/ak_it_color.php

Friends said Cottonwood Lake in Wasilla had 12"

Quote Originally Posted by akfisher1 View Post
    Anyone been out shell lake area in the recent past? any idea on ice? looking to head out next week and figured I would ask.
    Why don't you call shell lake lodge? Personal I would be more worry about the river condition.

I am not sure what the actual thickness is, but I have a buddy with a cub and a cabin out there and he has been going out there the past two weekends and landing on the lake. There was a bunch of overflow two weeks ago when he went out, but it was much better this past weekend.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Flew over the Big Su Sunday, it was a lot more frozen than I expected and it was really cold over there this weekend, saw wheels tracks on one small lake near Flathorn, no overflow in them.

We have been hauling supplies to Trinity Lake this week with a cub and 185 from the ice on Lake Hood. Trinity is about 20 miles south of Shell and the lake has plenty of ice with about an inch of loose snow on top of the hard pack. Both Lake Hood and Sand Lake have between 8-12 inches of ice. I saw a twin Barron land on the ice at Lake Hood this week.

Fishing out by figure eight lake today. Ice was 30" deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk