Thread: Adak Island Map Update

Default Adak Island Map Update

Didn't see this on the Adak Caribou Hunting page, so thought I would pass it along for anyone planning an Adak hunt.

The "Adak Update" website has a high resolution digital copy of the Adak Island Hiking Trail Map for printing. The map is segmented up into different regions of the island and is the same version provided by US Fish and Wildlife.

I called down to the Aleutian Islands Unit in Homer earlier this week to request a hard copy and was informed that due to the high number of requests they receive, they no longer provide them. Hard copies are available at the Adak airport upon arrival at one of the kiosks for those who make it out there.

G

Thanks for that, nice map. Thinkin about a trip out there.
    Are you going out this winter? They say you might get blown off the island, or weathered in for a few extra days.

A friend got back from Adak about a month ago. Pretty poor hunting, they saw a total of 20 caribou, and most of those a looong way from town. Apparently most of the animals are staying on the south end of the island.
    They shot one cow and one small bull.

Yeah, it's been rough from what I've heard. Have a buddy who has been out there now for the past few days who is having a hell of a time with weather. Blowing like hell and having to work to fine caribou as they're still south. He's been seeing them though, but hasn't taken anything yet. I'll post back with an update when he gets back.

I'm in Adak now. Was supposed to fly out Thursday...been weathered in. Supposed to get out tomorrow. Hunting has been successful. You just have to dig deep and go a long ways for them. Teardrop lake is pretty much a sure shot. Haven't seen any in Gannet Basin nor Betty lake area. Saw a couple over by Shagak Bay.
    Lake Donna Mae area held a few more.
    Lots of legwork.
    The Betty Lake and Susie Lake survival barrels got blown into the water last weekend. It was quite a storm. Guts well over 100mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akspudus View Post
    Guts well over 100mph.
    Sounds like pretty messy field dressing!