Thread: puma question

Default puma question

I have been looking at the Puma '92 carbine copies recently. I like the looks and it looks like a handy woods gun. I like the idea of the .454 model but hate the .22 style loading gate at the end of the mag. tube. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with these guns to know if the 45 colt rifle would handle the +p loads from the likes of CorBon or Buffalo Bore? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Never give a gun to a duck...

Default Answer IMHO

IT's the same gun, the same metals used. It's supposed to handle the pressures of the 480 and 454 so should not be an issue as long as you stay with the steel receivers (not the brass). That being said there seems to be some serious debate as to whether these guns can actually hold up to those types of pressures for very long before they start to come apart. I'm told (though I haven't spoke to him) Jim West says they will not hold up that's why he built a rifle that will. I don't know. I have one of the first 16" stainless 454's that came to Alaska. Though I haven't shot it alot, it seems to be holding up just fine.....so far.

I hope this helps.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I have my doubts about the 454 Puma also though I have no first hand experience with it nor do I know of any failures. I think the 454 pressures are too much for the Marlin M94 rifle and don't see how the Puma is stronger.

I think Marc Taylor has one, he could give some first hand observations. He's at the Wigggy's Alaska on Old Seward in ANC.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default thanks

Thanks,
    Good info as always.
    much appreciated.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

Thumbs up Puma 92 .454

I do own a Puma 92 .454 and can tell you from experience that it is an excellent gun and will hold up to the high pressure loads that the 454 can generate. I have put hundreds of rounds both factory and hand loads through my gun with nary a problem.

Very good accuracy with open sights out to a 100 yards. Mine seems to like the 300 gr. Hornady XTP using 1680 Accurate Powder. I did upgrade the sights to the HiVez offered from Legacy Sports, I paid $26.00 dollars for the sights. The folks at Legacy Sports were great to deal with and I also got a little insight on some of the 2008 model Puma's with factory scope mounts. I was told they were bustin oranges with the 454 scoped at 200 yards.

This is a great woods gun...not to be confused with the Rossi's of yester year.