Thread: ARE the BEARS Out YET...........???? "YEP".

Default ARE the BEARS Out YET...........???? "YEP".

Some bears are still out wandering around. Was in the mid 40's all last week, and no snow on the ground here, (OK there is 1/2 inch of snow). Even the mice and voles are still out being bloody snacks for for Owls & Ermine.

Two days ago a bear walked across the Sand Lake Elementary playground. Yes, there are definitely still bears out.

A fisherman in Sportsmans Warehouse in Soldotna yesterday said they had seen one on the river near Cooper Landing & seen tracks of another (both brownies) in the last week.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Third year in a row found set of bear tracks in month of Nov.
    Rex trail two years ago Nov 2.
    Delta last year Nov. 6
    And this year Rex Nov 22.
    All big bears too!!

Have only lived in AK for just 1 1/2 years now, but is it typically for them to up and moving this time of year? Also, any of your contacts have an idea if the Bears near Cooper Landing are still moving 2 weeks later now? Wouldn't mind filling my tag before spring

Thanks

Good morning, AGM0042.

Welcome to Alaska. That's a great question you pose.

Brown bears in particular will remain out of their dens in late fall and into the winter, if weather is favorable and there's sufficient food sources available. Male brown bears will sometimes leave their den sites for short periods of time in winter and especially if weather is favorable.

Black bears tend to go into dens as soon as it begins to get really cold (10 degrees Fahrenheit and colder) and they'll usually remain in their dens if temperatures don't rise significantly, regardless of the amount of food that's still available. But, male black bears will and sometimes do emerge from dens for short periods of time during winter.

Over the past five decades and when I've been on Kodiak Island, or the Alaska Peninsula and/or along the north Gulf Coast, I've seen brown bears or brown bear tracks during all months of the winter. In the interior, I've sometimes encountered brown bear (grizzly bear) tracks during winter months. On rare occasions during the past fifty-some years, I've either seen black bears or black bear tracks during winter months.

In relation to hunting bears, you'd be much better off to wait until spring, when bear hunting is more predictable.

Maverick

Thanks, a very educational post, based on first hand, boots on the ground experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Good morning, AGM0042.

Welcome to Alaska. That's a great question you pose.

Brown bears in particular will remain out of their dens in late fall and into the winter, if weather is favorable and there's sufficient food sources available. Male brown bears will sometimes leave their den sites for short periods of time in winter and especially if weather is favorable.

Black bears tend to go into dens as soon as it begins to get really cold (10 degrees Fahrenheit and colder) and they'll usually remain in their dens if temperatures don't rise significantly, regardless of the amount of food that's still available. But, male black bears will and sometimes do emerge from dens for short periods of time during winter.

Over the past five decades and when I've been on Kodiak Island, or the Alaska Peninsula and/or along the north Gulf Coast, I've seen brown bears or brown bear tracks during all months of the winter. In the interior, I've sometimes encountered brown bear (grizzly bear) tracks during winter months. On rare occasions during the past fifty-some years, I've either seen black bears or black bear tracks during winter months.

In relation to hunting bears, you'd be much better off to wait until spring, when bear hunting is more predictable.

Maverick