Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important rifle feature?

Default Most important rifle feature?

What is the most important feature you insist on when you are selecting a big game hunting rifle? We all have our preferences and our reasons for them. It is no secret I am a Mod. 70 fan, but only of the rifles with the old style Mod. 70 trigger.

So for me the most important feature on a big game rifle is the trigger. The rifle has to go bang when and only when the trigger is pressed. I am not willing to trade looks or accuracy for a trigger that is not reliable.

For the record. If I ever win a lottery I will probably own more Dakota rifles then Mod. 70's....

Perfect stock fit for my bod. LOP is only part of it- comb height relative to sights is just as important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    What is the most important feature you insist on when you are selecting a big game hunting rifle? We all have our preferences and our reasons for them. It is no secret I am a Mod. 70 fan, but only of the rifles with the old style Mod. 70 trigger.

So for me the most important feature on a big game rifle is the trigger. The rifle has to go bang when and only when the trigger is pressed. I am not willing to trade looks or accuracy for a trigger that is not reliable.

For the record. If I ever win a lottery I will probably own more Dakota rifles then Mod. 70's....
    Like you said...... a good trigger from the get go, or at least the ability to adjust it. Imo, as far as accuracy goes, a huge part of it is all about the trigger.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That it's built well and strong. I can replace the trigger, the stock, the barrel, caliber and sights.

Plenty of ammunition!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    That it's built well and strong.
    +1. First and foremost I don't want it to come apart in my face...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This thread is interesting for me. Strong and well built is first for sure, but if we made that a given, then I'm a bit stumped to quickly prioritize one feature over the others. Nothing is jumping out at me as a for sure number one.

I prefer bolt actions, but I'm also a south-paw, which means that a gun store with a hundred rifles in it for sale might have a small rack in the corner with maybe three rifles that I get to consider...consequently, I've done a fair amount of rebuilding and customizing to get what I want.

Triggers are definitely important, but they are replaceable and most all are adjustable.

I'm still thinking guys...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Once the action type, and cartridge has been chosen, the most important feature is the stock design.

It simply must have enough drop. I like the Monte Carlo stock design.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Fit - N - Feel for me - I want it to be like part of me when shouldered, trigger in a comfee position, balanced... It would hinge more on the trigger being great if it could not be adjusted or replaced for some reason...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Fit - N - Feel for me - I want it to be like part of me when shouldered, trigger in a comfee position, balanced... It would hinge more on the trigger being great if it could not be adjusted or replaced for some reason...
    That's what I mean, Smokey. "Fit and Feel".

Shut your eyes, and put the rifle to your shoulder making SURE the butt stock is fully on your shoulder. (Not just the lower tip, otherwise it will hurt.)

Open your eyes and they should be aligned with the scope. If they're not, or you hafta raise your shoulder, tip your head forward, or hug the stock real tight, you don't have enough drop, or your scopes is mounted too low or both.

I just noticed the new Mossberg Patriot stock is so straight, it has only 1/4 " drop, at the heel. If I were deciding betwixt rifles, the ones with the most drop would probably suit me best, because that's important to me.

Although other things are important, the stock design is for me, the most important, for the enjoyment of shooting.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

First thing I do with one is disassemble and look for tool marks.

Sounds odd I know....but really good machine work usually means one that functions and was put together right. Most of the common designs work just fine when put together correctly.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I never thought of that, but it makes sense.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Ok, I'll be shallow here....they way it looks. I don't shoot ugly guns. All of the other things can come in time, but if it next to my skin, has has to be hot.

Shallow Hal....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    What is the most important feature you insist on when you are selecting a big game hunting rifle?

Being accurate.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

My criteria:

RELIABILITY including 338s request for a great trigger......I'm not a fan of removable magazines.......floor plates should be "welded" shut.....
    FIT & FEEL.......my rifles should mount and point like a good shotgun......balance can be difficult with synthetic stocks as the butt is often light
    No shell holders or gizmos attached to the rifle.
    ACCURACY.....1.5" groups are adequate for most big game hunting.....
    CARTRIDGE.......many purchase a rifle based on a desired cartridge.......I prefer to go with the above criteria and there's a whole lot of different rounds that will do the job well.
    SIGHTS......Nothing wrong with quality receiver [peep] sights for reliability and a sweet handling rifle. My big game rifles usually are topped with low, fixed power scopes....I'm not a fan of hubbles at all.

I've come to gravitate towards rifles that have a three position safety. Not a fan of putting a round under the pin in the fire position, and the bolt needs to be locked down on safety. Other than that, the stock shape and balance. A gritty, stiff trigger I can deal with on a hunting rifle if I have to and they are mostly all adjustable anyway.

oh yea, smooth feeding is pretty dam important too!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

oh yea, smooth feeding is pretty dam important too!
    Abslootlee.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

The first thing for me is fit and feel. If it don't give me warm fuzzies when I shoulder it then it isn't going home with me. My new favoritest gun is a Savage model 16 lightweight in 7mm-08. If fits like a glove and points so naturally for me. However if someone would have told me 10 years ago that my favorite rifle would be a Savage one day soon I would have strongly disagreed. The trigger on this model 16 is ultra nice and it shoots <1/2 inch in a clamped in rest. Mostly likely it would be an inch gun in my hands with sand bags instead of the fancy rest. It weighs just over 6lbs with the 4X Lupy scope. I find that I can shoot it very well off hand even being that light.

I have never had a Savage fail me nor do I remember one breaking for anyone hunting with me in the last 40 years. I will admit that there a few things about this ultra light weight gun that look a little on the frail side. The same could be said for Kimber rifles but after they survived a few growing pains they are now turning out a nice yet dainty gun. Robust has always been good but as metal qualities get better it's not as important as it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's what I mean, Smokey. "Fit and Feel".

Shut your eyes, and put the rifle to your shoulder making SURE the butt stock is fully on your shoulder. (Not just the lower tip, otherwise it will hurt.)

Open your eyes and they should be aligned with the scope. If they're not, or you hafta raise your shoulder, tip your head forward, or hug the stock real tight, you don't have enough drop, or your scopes is mounted too low or both.

I just noticed the new Mossberg Patriot stock is so straight, it has only 1/4 " drop, at the heel. If I were deciding betwixt rifles, the ones with the most drop would probably suit me best, because that's important to me.

Although other things are important, the stock design is for me, the most important, for the enjoyment of shooting.

Smitty of the North

I agree with this.....

Reliability.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast