Thread: Ice Fishing Gear?

Default Ice Fishing Gear?

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Alaska in a few weeks from Wisconsin and I'm trying to figure out what ice fishing stuff I should bring up with me. Obviously my flip over shanty and augers are out, but what do most people use for trout fishing? I know for lake trout you need a bigger rod, but how about rainbows? I have a couple 26" light action rods I use for pan fish but I don't know if they'll be big enough. Also, what types of lures do you use for the trout? I have hundreds of small panfish jigs (rat finkies, rockers, ice flies, marmooskas, etc), I'm not sure if I should bring these or give them to my Dad. I'm also planning on bringing a couple tip ups for pike and my humminbird flasher.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonslayer44 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm moving to Alaska in a few weeks from Wisconsin and I'm trying to figure out what ice fishing stuff I should bring up with me. Obviously my flip over shanty and augers are out, but what do most people use for trout fishing? I know for lake trout you need a bigger rod, but how about rainbows? I have a couple 26" light action rods I use for pan fish but I don't know if they'll be big enough. Also, what types of lures do you use for the trout? I have hundreds of small panfish jigs (rat finkies, rockers, ice flies, marmooskas, etc), I'm not sure if I should bring these or give them to my Dad. I'm also planning on bringing a couple tip ups for pike and my humminbird flasher.

Thanks for the help.
    Really depends where in Alaska. I'm in the interior and use light action rods for fishing local ponds for trout and graylings, and I've actually pulled up respectable pond burbot with a surprisingly light rod. The thing is that rods and lures just don't take up that much space and they can be a PITA (and expensive) to replace, so I figure you really can't lose by bringing them up. I tend to favor tube jigs but I've caught some fish on panfish jigs up here.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I can't give you a lot of advice on it, since I'm not sure where you'll be ending up, but I'll try.

I use tip ups for burbot and pike quite a bit. I would definitely bring those.

Set lines for burbot are productive.

I jig large casting spoons for pike with a willow for a rod. I moved up here from the Midwest too, so I looked at everyone oddly when they told me to just cut a willow. It doesn't cost a thing, and it works. There isn't the same play with drag being pulled out, but it is still exciting when a +45" pike almost pulls your stick through the hole.

I've seen a couple of pictures of guys who catch blackfish with tiny jigs. Blackfish are these weird minnow-like fish. I imagine ice fishing for them is most similar to pan fishing. I just set a trap for them.

We are not lucky enough to have trout where I live, but I expect your flasher and light actions would work. I have goals of heading to a spot when things freeze a little better to catch char and grayling. I haven't used my flasher here all that much, but I hope to put it back to work this winter.

Tube jigs and your Walleye rods

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Bring all of your gear. There are large fish,small fish and everything in between. Your small jigs will have their place as well. Bring your HB flasher for sure.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the input everyone!