Thread: 2015 DM413 Complete

Default 2015 DM413 Complete

I drew the DM413 cow moose tag for the MatSu area this year. Saw tons of moose, but quickly realized the hardest part of this hunt was getting them in an area where it was safe to take a shot. I live outside the weapons restricted zone and hunted in that area, but its still populated and safety was my biggest concern.

Finally connected yesterday with what Fish and Game said was a 9 year old cow. I spent two hours playing cat and mouse to get in a good position for a shot. My first shot with my Blaser R8 in 9.3x62 hit both lungs and the top of the heart, but I put in a follow up shot since she was still standing. Both shots were complete pass throughs, but you can see from the photo that there wasn't much blood coming out.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

my wife has this tag also. haven't been out much, seeing alot of cows and calves around the house, looking for a loner. congrats on some great eating!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Congrats! Looks tasty!
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Awesome job save the skull and lower jaw have it professionally cleaned, there awesome when they are complete, I shot a cow years ago and took it be cleaned to Knights Taxidermy where his son proceeded to throw it in the trash, still pisses me off. Nice Safe job.. If you need a name the best skull cleaner in AK let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post
    If you need a name the best skull cleaner in AK let me know..
    Could you post that or send me a pm? Many thanks.

The reporting requirements for this hunt require you to cut off 5" of the lower jaw and turn it in to fish and game.

Jim Stocker located @ 6088 South Annette Circle in Butte AK 99645 (907) 745-5346. Jim is the best at cleaning Skulls in Alaska. He has the secret to getting the grease out of the skulls, Jim offers a cash discount also. Taxidermist will send Jim there skulls then mark up the price. Give him a call you wont be disappointed..

Very nice. My daughter filled her DM413 tag back on 11/21 with a big fat 7 year old. beginning of the season was slow, but as soon as it snowed we started seeing movement. Saw quite a few younger moose around, looks like the population rebounded fine from the heavy snows a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I drew the DM413 cow moose tag for the MatSu area this year. Saw tons of moose, but quickly realized the hardest part of this hunt was getting them in an area where it was safe to take a shot. I live outside the weapons restricted zone and hunted in that area, but its still populated and safety was my biggest concern.

Finally connected yesterday with what Fish and Game said was a 9 year old cow. I spent two hours playing cat and mouse to get in a good position for a shot. My first shot with my Blaser R8 in 9.3x62 hit both lungs and the top of the heart, but I put in a follow up shot since she was still standing. Both shots were complete pass throughs, but you can see from the photo that there wasn't much blood coming out.
    K9.... Is it just me or for the age of this cow it seems maybe just a little smaller than what I would expect? I don't know, maybe I've just seen a lot of huge cows, but I noticed the hindquarters looked a little lean and even the head a bit small. Does it just look that way in the photo or was it actually a pretty big animal. At first glace I thought it was only a few years old...... Just curious, but lucky you...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I spotted her she was with two other cows with one year old calves and a forked horn bull. She was noticeably bigger than the other two cows and bigger than the bull by about 6 or 8 inches at the shoulder. In hindsight, I think the bull was probably her 2 year old calf because he hung around a bit after I dropped her. The Fish and Game rep showed me their collection of known age teeth and the wear on the teeth from my cow was pretty close to their 9 year old sample, but it seems an imperfect science.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    When I spotted her she was with two other cows with one year old calves and a forked horn bull. She was noticeably bigger than the other two cows and bigger than the bull by about 6 or 8 inches at the shoulder. In hindsight, I think the bull was probably her 2 year old calf because he hung around a bit after I dropped her. The Fish and Game rep showed me their collection of known age teeth and the wear on the teeth from my cow was pretty close to their 9 year old sample, but it seems an imperfect science.
    Oh, ok......that's interesting. How did she seem to you.......much fat on her? Maybe I'm just thinking about some of those big cows in the middle of summer/early fall that seem like monsters. I forget it is getting into winter now and I imagine they are thinning down a bit more these days......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My wife took this big old girl 11/18. It was her first experience hunting. It was one of the quickest kills I've witnessed. 130gr TTSX thru the shoulders out of her 270 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aghh you guys are killing me! My wife has passed on a little cow and several with calves. But we haven't put a lot of time in. Tough to do with 5 kids. We'll get er done! Nice work you guys!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

M moose 2.jpgM Moose 1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh, ok......that's interesting. How did she seem to you.......much fat on her? Maybe I'm just thinking about some of those big cows in the middle of summer/early fall that seem like monsters. I forget it is getting into winter now and I imagine they are thinning down a bit more these days......
    F&G aged this one at 7 years. She was very healthy, some fat, but nothing like a bull in his prime. She stood tall with another adult cow when we saw her, the other did not have as heavy of a body but looked like a 3-4 year old. Mature head shape and mature coloration. This one yielded approximately 400 lbs of meat.

That's awesome everyone! I drew DM402 this year and got my opening day! Congrats to all!!!

Well I finally managed to tag out on Saturday, not a minute too soon! Took me a long time to finally find one. If anyone with this permit is looking at this thread for intel here in the final days of the hunt, pm me and I will help you.