Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Hornady Bullets?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What about Hornady Bullets?

Are they accurate?? As Speer and Sierra bullets of the same type, cup & core, construction?? (Not the premiums like the Inter bond.)

Does anyone consider them "Top of the Line", or 2nd Rate, or Average.

Personally, I've had loads with RN bullets that were accurate, but not with the pointy ones.
    Who likes them?? Who doesn't??

Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I pretty much use them all the time. Out of my 375 I get sub moa with their interlocks.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

They are alright.. Not top of the line but they work fine as a hunting bullet. Typical cup and core other than the weird ogive . I shot one moose using a Hornady 130gr from a 270Win. Went through both shoulders and was a classic mushroom against the hide on the far side. DRT Maybe one of the new premium bullets would have killed it deader but I doubt it.

I use the 100 gr. in my .243 win. and use the 130 gr. in my .270 win. for deer sized game. Both are interlocks and shoot and perform well. I shoot the 95 gr. SST in my 6 mm and it is a 1/2 moa. or better gun. I shoot targets with this gun as it has a 26 inch bull barrel and is not much of a joy to carry around.

Love em. My experience is about 99% with the spire points and RNs, rather than the various controlled expansion models of recent years. I've never pushed any of them much above 3100 fps, but I've never had a failure on game either. Kinda tender with lots of weight loss inside 50 yards like any cup-and-core, but they still didn't come apart. Hard on eating meat inside 50, so at those ranges I point my sights at spots with less eating meat.

I've taken game with them in 24, 25, 27, 28, 30, 32, 33, 35, 37, 41, 44 and 45 calibers over the decades. Favorites include the 25 cal 120HP, 25 cal 117RN, 284 139Spire, 284 154Spire, 284 175Spire, 284 154RN, 284 175RN, 358 200Spire, 358 200RN, 375 270Spire, 429 300FP, 458 350FN, 458 500RN soft. Neither of the 284RNs are made any more, but I have mine! Long, long ago they made a 284 139RN, but sadly I didn't acquire enough of those to last.

I have the 139 gr. BT, 154 gr. FB, and the 162 gr. BT on hand now.

I notice the Ogives are all the same, and the Crimp Grooves are in a different place in relation to the ogives.

Loading them in my 7mm-08, .030 off the lands, for example, the seating die adjusted for one, would work for the other two, which seems convenient for testing them.

I just wondered if it was worth my time trying to find an accurate load, since I've not been able to in the past with those bullets. Someone told me years ago that they were just cheap bullets, and that was planted in my mind.

I thought I'd gather experiences and opinions from others.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Someone told me years ago that they were just cheap bullets, and that was planted in my mind.
    Probly read it on the internet!

I've had zero accuracy problems, or at least no more than with any other brand of bullet. Sure you have to hunt for the load combo that works best, but it's the same with every brand and weight of bullet.

My favorite 7mm Rem Mag load is the 154 grain spire point and (powder charge redacted) for 3100 fps. If I'm doing my part it hovers around an inch at 200 measured yards.

My son-in-law's 300 Win Mag does about the same with 180 grain spires.

I've never had accuracy problems, but as others have stated they're pretty soft and not the best for up close shooting or high velocity cartridges. I'd probably step up to the next heavier weight on account of it.

I had better luck out of their .375 bullets than their .308 bullets.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ain't nothing wrong with Hornady bullets at all. I usually go with what ever bullet my gun likes, and my 375 really likes 300 gr Hornandy RN bullets. The GMX, Interbond and interlocks have performed well for me in various guns that I own. If your gun likes them, give them a shot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've never had accuracy problems, but as others have stated they're pretty soft and not the best for up close shooting or high velocity cartridges. I'd probably step up to the next heavier weight on account of it.

I had better luck out of their .375 bullets than their .308 bullets.
    Like the 154 gr and 162 gr or the 175, rather than the 139 gr ?? 140 gr bullets seem to be the standard weight for the 7mm-08.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Before I started reloading I used Hornady ammo. Most accurate I shot, and has a good bullet design. Just like someone said above: found the bullets embedded on the inside of the opposite side of moose with a perfect mushroom. Good bullets.

What Brownbear said. I've not killed near what he has with them but I really like them. The Superformance line of factory loads is one of my favorites for testing my loads against. The SST's and Interlocks are not just cheap bullets either. I am pretty sure Hornady spends a lot of money on R&D just like Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, or anyone else would. I use the 55 and 60 v-max's in my AR's nearly exclusively for that type of loading and have seen some seriously small groups out of them. They tend to group far better than my abilities allow. But that might not be sayin much. Shoot 'em.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Like the 154 gr and 162 gr or the 175, rather than the 139 gr ?? 140 gr bullets seem to be the standard weight for the 7mm-08.

SOTN
    Smitty- I'd look very hard at stepping up to the 154 in the 7-08.

I used to shoot the 150gr Light Magnum Interlocks in my .308 exclusively....right up until I had one @3000fps come completely unglued inside a fox shot at 30'. No exit. Nothing but itty bitty fragments everywhere. I got to thinking if that'd been a moose or a bear....it'd have been bad, maybe real bad.

The 180s at 2600fps did much better... perfect mushrooms and deep penetration.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Smitty- I'd look very hard at stepping up to the 154 in the 7-08.

I used to shoot the 150gr Light Magnum Interlocks in my .308 exclusively....right up until I had one @3000fps come completely unglued inside a fox shot at 30'. No exit. Nothing but itty bitty fragments everywhere. I got to thinking if that'd been a moose or a bear....it'd have been bad, maybe real bad.

The 180s at 2600fps did much better... perfect mushrooms and deep penetration.
    OK, If I hunt with this rifle, I guess I go with the 160 gr.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I found this, and it seems to go along with you guys have said.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...Remington.html

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Years ago I was at the range testing Hornady, Speer and Sierra bullets for my .270 and saw no difference in accuracy at 100 yards.

What I did find out after digging the bullets out of the dirt berm was the Hornady interlocks held together and the Sierra and Speer came apart. Meaning the lead core was sucked out of the jacket leaving the bottom of the jacket empty of lead or the entire bullet coming apart.

What impressed me was the Hornady interlock held together like a Nosler partition and I have used them ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Years ago I was at the range testing Hornady, Speer and Sierra bullets for my .270 and saw no difference in accuracy at 100 yards.

What I did find out after digging the bullets out of the dirt berm was the Hornady interlocks held together and the Sierra and Speer came apart. Meaning the lead core was sucked out of the jacket leaving the bottom of the jacket empty of lead or the entire bullet coming apart.

What impressed me was the Hornady interlock held together like a Nosler partition and I have used them ever since.
    Thanks bigedp51:

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I have great luck with Hornady bullets and for the most part I shoot light for caliber bullets. 40 grainers in my 223, 58 grainVmaxes in my 243, 120 grain soft points in my 7mm-08( these did not shoot good in several of my 7-08s but my Savage 16 shoots everything sub moa) the 120's @ 3150 being pushed by CFE223 make wound channels that look just like what I used to get shooting Jack O's pet 130 grain load in my 270. The 120 Hornady is perfect for whitetail deer and makes a dandy windy day coyote round. Hornady XTPs are my pistol hunting bullet of choice for the lower 48

I seldom shoot anything but Hornady bullets.

I've been able to get good accuracy out of quite a few Hornady bullets with different rifles. I reload the 154gr Interlock for my brother in his Ruger 280 Rem. and he has had good luck with them on caribou. I prefer the 162gr A-Max in my 7mm WSM.

Go get the new Guns and Ammo (Jan 2016). Go to page 64 and read the article on Hornady's new bullet, the ELD-X...
    This article pretty much confirmed my long range accuracy issues w/ 180gr Accubonds and short range penetration issues (on moose anyways) with my 300RUM.
    I see a new bullet to try in my near future...
    It's a good read...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast