Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best 406 ELT for the buck these days?

Default What is the best 406 ELT for the buck these days?

I need a new ELT. I do not want to get too carried away since this plane will probably not be a long term keeper.
    What do the 406 experts have to say?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hmm, the wife wants to buy me one for Christmas, I thought I would have heard from AK HUNT or Mr Pid by now....

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm, the wife wants to buy me one for Christmas, I thought I would have heard from AK HUNT or Mr Pid by now....
    I install ACKs
    There are probably other models with more bells/whistles on the market now but it does what's required. I'd couple it to your gps cause it's easy and does add capabilities but not reqd. They're easier to check at annual (91.207) than some other models as well.

Honestly, tho I know them and am comfortable with em so that's probably most of it. You can pm or email if u want detailed stuff.

I will zip you a message. My local IA like the Ameri-King, but I have read some questionable reviews of them. I have seen a few of the ARTEX which will give a battery fail indication even if the battery is good.

Last I heard the 406s were thousands of dollars. I don't plan on even thinking about them until they come down to like $500. Its kinda cool that you can see all of the 406s on your ipad though.

Really Rppearso, the cost is too great to consider? I understand cost, but I also understand value. Value is what a 121.5 or 406 ELT (or any equipment) is worth when you've crashed. At that point it is too late to think about cost. Value is the equipment you have when somebody you are responsible for is lying there hurt. Value is measured in just how quickly SAR can get to you and haul you away from your broken aircraft. Yes, the 121.5 can be used to home in on you, but only if the aircraft looking for you has the right equipment. My personal experience is that 121.5 is virtually useless right now. 121.5 can't even get a search and rescue started today when you are remote. There is no satellite coverage, and the only hope of being heard is an over flying aircraft that happens to be monitoring the channel. That is just too many "what ifs" for me.
    I just did a cursory look, and 406 ELTs start right at that point you said you'd start looking, $500. There is simply no reason to not do it at this point.
    Hope you consider the change, the value far exceeds the cost.
    ARR

406 is better. But 121.5 is actually pretty constantly monitored by high altitude traffic. Try talking on it sometime and you will see.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

There are always satellites. There are not always high flyers. Based on the little I can remember after talking w/ RCC and SAR folks, the satellites come across the top pretty regularly. As long as you have registered the 406, they'll have an idea who is beeping. There is no idea w/ 121.5. Sure, it might take several passes to get your location, but I'm not sure SAR, Civilian or Military, could launch before then.
    If you look at odds and probabilities, I'm just not seeing that the 121.5 is better than the 406. In my experience, the 121.5 did nothing to enhance rescue. Like I said, cost is something you look at now, value is what you will weigh your decisions against later.
    Could a pilot have both? Perhaps. I'd rather focus on secondary communications; Spot/Delorme, Hand held radio, Sat Phone. But I digress. The thread talks about which 406 is better, and I for one would like to hear responses from people who have them, or installers/maintainers.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    ...I'd rather focus on secondary communications; Spot/Delorme, Hand held radio, Sat Phone. But I digress. The thread talks about which 406 is better....
    ARR
    ACKs are what's in my planes. Of the course the best ELT is the one that goes off. Unfortunately you can't count on that. A good friend of mine was killed a couple of years ago only a couple of miles from my airport in Texas. His 406 ELT never went off. Had his crash not caused a brush fire we'd still be looking for him. Agree with Ak River Rat, Delorme InReach/Spot is the best solution if you want to be found.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

These are the brands I have been seeing during my recent 406 elt searches.

ARTEX.... Starting around $550
    ACK..... Starting around $450
    KANNAD... Starting around $750 on some vendor sites.
    AMER-KING... Starting around $520
    Emerging Lifesaving Technologies.... Starting around $1200, but has a built-in GPS
    EBC... Starting around $950
    POINTER....Starts around $900

FWIW, when I did the PA-12 rebuild, I put in an ACK, but I've only used that brand for 406.

Also FWIW, apparently (when looking in hindsight) money was no object for the rebuild. I recall some degree of evaluation that led to the ACK but can't duplicate that evaluation after 4 years.

Have a look at Sporty's Pilot Shop's "RescueLink+PLB" at $269.00 and a $50 rebate. That's my recommendation in any event.

My first 406 was a Kannad, and eventually it took a crap and started going off on 121.5 while tied down at the airport. After talking to many many people they seem to have some issues with condensation getting in them, so now I have a ACK.

Griz, I do carry a PLB in my vest.
    I need to replace the old NARCO elt in this plane anyway since we smacked the heck out of it and it never went off.

A wee bit more info for the peanut gallery. 406 ELT Replacement Battery cost: ACK-406 model E-04 = $152 for the battery........................................... ...................... Ameri-King 451ELT = $134 for the batteries .................................................. ............. AIR TEX = $165 EBC= $179 ...................................... E.L.T.= $212 .................................. Kannad = $492 I wonder if that is correct.... But that is what Aircraft Spruce says.............................................. ....... POINTER = $134

I have an ACK in the cub and a delorme Inreach that my wife monitors every flight. Highly recommend both!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I will be buying an ACK. Now I need to figure out how to get it shipped.....

It depends on where you fly, if you never leave the mat su valley/anchorage/peninsula and only fly when its nice out how much value does a 406 really have? If something happened there is a high likely hood I could land on a road or field since I am never flying over any sketchy areas.

If I were flying into remote areas then the value would likely go way up for me. Also for me, if its not a house a car or initial purchase of the entire air plane and the thought crosses my mind of how much longer do I have to postpone going to part time work to pay for this do dad then its too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Really Rppearso, the cost is too great to consider? I understand cost, but I also understand value. Value is what a 121.5 or 406 ELT (or any equipment) is worth when you've crashed. At that point it is too late to think about cost. Value is the equipment you have when somebody you are responsible for is lying there hurt. Value is measured in just how quickly SAR can get to you and haul you away from your broken aircraft. Yes, the 121.5 can be used to home in on you, but only if the aircraft looking for you has the right equipment. My personal experience is that 121.5 is virtually useless right now. 121.5 can't even get a search and rescue started today when you are remote. There is no satellite coverage, and the only hope of being heard is an over flying aircraft that happens to be monitoring the channel. That is just too many "what ifs" for me.
    I just did a cursory look, and 406 ELTs start right at that point you said you'd start looking, $500. There is simply no reason to not do it at this point.
    Hope you consider the change, the value far exceeds the cost.
    ARR

Do all of these allow you to interface with your ipad so you can see everyone else as a little dot on foreflight?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    These are the brands I have been seeing during my recent 406 elt searches.

ARTEX.... Starting around $550
    ACK..... Starting around $450
    KANNAD... Starting around $750 on some vendor sites.
    AMER-KING... Starting around $520
    Emerging Lifesaving Technologies.... Starting around $1200, but has a built-in GPS
    EBC... Starting around $950
    POINTER....Starts around $900

None do............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast