Thread: Double plating hulls

Default Double plating hulls

I have a new 18' Seaark 72" bottom mod v tunnel hull that is 1/8" thickness. I want to toughen up the bottom of hull. I plan to add another 1/8" 5086 aluminum sheet to bottom and then plug weld 1/2" uhmw to that before I attach the motor. Feasible ? I know its alot of work, but have my own aluminum mig welder and work for free. Why not start with a 1/4 " hull boat? Long story, but this is what I got to work with. My calculations are tha that I would add 250 lbs of material. The motor is a 115/80 4 stroke jet. The attached picture is of hull just like mine. It has 7 strakes front to rear! My questions are, would it be better to add flat aluminum sheet between strakes, then add aluminum angle bar over existing strakes? Or try to match complete bottom with full sheets with use of metal bending brake? Recommend use of 3m 5200 sealer between hull and additional aluminum? How to attach uhmw over 7 vee shaped strakes? Leave uhwm off of strakes and install uhmw between strakes? I would be grateful for any or all answers. 1/8" hulls will not handle "rock rash" of Alaskan rivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy, I don't know. LOTS of SeaArks running the rivers up here. I have a 22'. But if you're set on doing it, my vote would be to weld pieces between the strakes. But by the time you add the aluminum and the uhmw don't know how much strake you would have left...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I have had two SeaArks and been thinking about the same project for years. Most of the welders I have talked to say the thin aluminum is tough to weld. I was thinking about cutting the streaks off flush, bolting on UHMW with liberal sealing, and then making new streaks with UHMW.

When I bought my second SeaArk I wanted to get the model with the beefed up ice runners which would help a little with damage prevention; but alas the dealer didn't have one with runners.

Skip the extra aluminum and go straight to the UHMW.

Sobie2

The way your wanting to reinforce the bottom will change the performance of the boat and not in a good way, also 1/8 aluminum is no match for rocks for that matter neither is unless it backed up with hull stiffeners. UHMW helped the rocks to slip over the aluminum instead of digging in, it adds very little strength.

I would not remove the 1/8 bottom until it was destroyed by then you should have learned to slow down and not hit as many rocks. Then I would replace it with 3/16 bottom and add more hull stiffener and reinforce the transom area.

In the meantime make your self a bottom repair kit and enjoy the boat.

Nice light weight boat like that. Run it as-is, once you start welding it will never be the same. If you plan on parking on lots of gravel bars, I would look for a boat with no strakes
    on the bottom, ie welded heavy gauge.

Extra weight will not be worth it with that small of a motor. If you do anything, I would just do the UHMW and skip adding all the extra aluminum.

Thanks guys for your comments. All good points. It gave me a lot to think about. The weight vs reward is an issue. Performance issues like turning, time taken to get on step and handling can be easily ruined. It is tempting to try it though. I think I will just add 7 inches of hull extension ( plane surface) behind transom and just go with uhmw. I have heard that adding hull extensions that stop 2" before crankshaft nut will help on step time and slower on-step speeds. Thanks guys

You should check out Wetlands slick bottom coatings. I think this may be another good alternative to uhmw. I like the idea of hull extensions.

I know a couple guys that added another layer just on the corners for the last 2 ft or so- that is where you are usually gonna hit hard. They push them pretty hard and they have taken a beating.