Thread: Kenai Dipnetting

Default Kenai Dipnetting

Have never dipnetted before. Was planning on hitting the Kenai this year. Are there charters in the area that you can dipnet from the boat? Does it get ridiculously crazy on the banks as far as people and being able to find a spot?

Any recommended charters for dipnetting? Thanks!

Herman

I do not see the need for a charter when dip netting the Kenai. Last year was my first time ever dip netting for fish and it wasn't that tougth at all. We dipped the mouth and were fairly successful despite the bleek run. The dippers down there are incredibly freindly. I would have never guessed! Get a net, go to the beach, and drop the net in the water. You'll have a blast!

You can most certainly find a spot on the beach, especially as a huge section of the beach seems to be productive. At first I assumed that the most upstream sections would be best, but I saw two solitary women waaaay downstream on the north shore do really, really well. There wasn't a person within 100 yards of either of them, and they were absolutely slaying them. Of course, those crowded further upstream did well too. It's great fun, so give it a shot! I actually tried dipping from a boat last year for the first time, but I don't know if I'll bother again this year. It was fun, but not as social.

will the first week of july be productive dipping on the kenai. im trying to dip the kasilof but i dont know how preoductive it will be.

We ususally head down the thrid week of July and do well. Didn't dip last year, don't remember why, but we didn't go down last year.

People were very friendly and the kids have a good time playing in the sand. I haven't heard of any charter operations on the Kenai.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    will the first week of july be productive dipping on the kenai. im trying to dip the kasilof but i dont know how preoductive it will be.
    Here's the dates for dipping the Kenai (copied from an ADFG page):

Personal use dipnetting on the Kenai River is scheduled to open at 6:00 a.m., Tuesday, July 10, through 11:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 31.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

On the Kenai, can you drive close to where you dipnet like at the Kasilof? More importanly, is the sand deep like at the Kasilof where you have to worry about getting stuck or overheating your transmission? Have a Ford diesel with a heavy front end.

Default Neat Link for Planning A Trip

This is the link for the UCI fisheries (kasilof, kenai etc) for the emergency openers. If you're anything like me the 262-9611 recording goes a bit fast for my ears to funnel into my tiny, fish focused brain; so it's nice to be able to see in print and be able to mull it over for proper cerebral digestion. It looks like tonight would be a good time to head down there and fish through Sunday if you want to fill a freezer... low tide is at midnight tonight. ENJOY!

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...00&submit=G o
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

On the Kenai on the North side (Kenai city) you can drive on a paved road to parking area a short walk from the shore so no deep sand problems. On the south side there is sand but doesn't seem to be a problem - I've seen pickups with campers on right on the beach.

A lot of us dip from our own boats but don't know of anyone who charters for boat dipping.

Good luck - you will find the best dipping should be on Saturday and Sunday due to the scheduled windows where the commercial fishermen are not fishing. Check the fish and game web site to make sure there isn't an emergency opening which sometimes can happen. When they are fishing the fleet and beach hard the river dries right up and its a lot more work to get a limit.

Thanks for the info. on the beach access.

I've dipped the North side of the Kenai for years. Yes it gets crowded, but there is a spot for everyone, and I've caught plenty of fish. Keep an eye on the sonar count before heading down, ideally you want to head down as soon as you see the numbers start to come up. Usually the 15th is a good day to target, the 13th and 14th might be too early.

It's a family friendly place to fish, my kids have a blast playing in the water and helping with the catch. I leave my coolers up by where you can drop off your gear, as well as a tent to take a nap or change clothes. We bring a couple of snow sleds, after I catch and bleed the fish, the wife and kids clean them, and drag them up to the coolers to put them on ice. When everything is working smoothly, when I'm done fishing all the fish are cleaned and on ice.

I've heard even with 4wd folks have gotten stuck in the sand on the South side, and it's an expensive tow. It would be nice to be able to drive right up to your catch, but the North side isn't so bad. I've yet to hear if one side is better than the other for catching fish, but I've had no problem limiting on the North side when it's a good run.

The sand isn't bad on the south side. I drive my F-250 with a heavy camper down the beach without any problems. I drive it in 4wd Hi. Ideally I try to give myself a lot of room behind the next guy. The sand is a little softer than the beach at Anchor Point. Make sure you park ABOVE the high tide line! We cut it close last time and had water nearly at the rear tires of the truck!

We like to go to the south side so we can have access to the camper and we don't have to walk the fish up the beach. The kids have fun helping with the fish and getting sandy, like others have said, people are friendly down there. I'll be there 7-20 to 22 and probably a day or two during the next work week.

Tim