Thread: Binos for use in rough boat conditions

Default Binos for use in rough boat conditions

I'd like to get a pair of binos to use out on the Yukon. There are plenty of times when I think I see something in the distance and it turns out to be a dark stump, dead bush, or root wad. When I go out in the boat it's really hard on all my gear, and it really takes a beating. Everything gets thrown around, mud and dirt everywhere, sand, muddy river water, and rain.

I'm not looking to get the nicest binos in the world, just something that is functional. I was thinking of Vortex Diamindback 10x50. Seems like a good combination of weight vs size. Or should I just go with a cheap 10x42?

Don't go "cheap" anything with Optics. But you don't have to go uber high end $$$ either. If weight is not an issue 10x50's will gather more light. Come up with your budget and then try to add another 100 or 2. You won't be sorry. Personally I like PENTAX for quality, value, lifetime warranty. I've had a pair of DCF SP 10x42's for years along with a PENTAX spotter. Both have served me well in 11 years of sheep and other hunting. Can't speak to the Vortex.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Don't go "cheap" anything with Optics. But you don't have to go uber high end $$$ either. If weight is not an issue 10x50's will gather more light. Come up with your budget and then try to add another 100 or 2. You won't be sorry. Personally I like PENTAX for quality, value, lifetime warranty. I've had a pair of DCF SP 10x42's for years along with a PENTAX spotter. Both have served me well in 11 years of sheep and other hunting. Can't speak to the Vortex.
    You're right, the Pentax 10x43 (do they sell a 10x42?) was quite expensive! Next time I'm in town I'll try wearing some different brands to see how the weight feels around my neck. The Pentax has solid reviews.

Definitely go with the Vortex, that way you'll have a good boat anchor when your tired of looking through junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrek86 View Post
    You're right, the Pentax 10x43 (do they sell a 10x42?) was quite expensive! Next time I'm in town I'll try wearing some different brands to see how the weight feels around my neck. The Pentax has solid reviews.
    Ya, 10x43, 42 was a typo. My buddie has a set of the 8x42 DCF ED's. About 5 yrs old. REALLY nice. The ED glass really shines when having to deal with glare. 8x has less wiggle also. I've used both side by side and like the 8x43 ED's better. They didn't make them when I bought mine.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again