Thread: Murres and sea otter update

Default Murres and sea otter update

There was another thread about all the dead murres. Today while I was walking the beach I talked with a couple that was documenting all the bead murres in the area. They abvised they are members of a private citizen group that helps out the biologists when there is aproblem like this die off. They were only logging numbers and locations of the dead birds, as the state has over 800 carcass and don't want or need more. They had a meeting 2 days ago with the biologist who stated the birds are starving to death. They stated that the food supply could be in short supply, or something wrong with the food supply, or just something wrong with the birds themselves. Sounds like they are still just guessing. The die offs are not just in Alaska. I asked if they knew anything about the sea otter die off and was advised that the biologists had found that the main artery that runs down the chest of the otter, and then splits just above the back legs is clotting in that area. This is shutting the blood supply off to the lower part of the body, then making it difficult to swim. They usually die a short time after this happens. Again they have no idea what is causing the clott to forum. This info is all second hand, but I do thing the people knew what they were talking about. Just thought I would pass it along as I thought it was interesting.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

One of the guys I was hunting with yesterday texted a local USDA bio. He wanted 6 birds. Said the same about starvation. We brought him some.

On Thanksgiving there was a sea bird in the middle of a snowmachine trail in Willow. Not a loon, grebe, or merganser. I took a few pics and the only match I saw online brought me to the dead Murre story of NPR. This bird had its head up but could barely move. I went around it and sure a fox had it that night.

I figured that storm on the West Coast days before must have blown it in. Our weather was wacky that week.