Thread: savage model 10

Default savage model 10

just got one in 22-250, " predator max" I think they call it. great accuracy first time I took it out. anybody else have one?
    going to try some reloads eventually but the factory ammo so far is pretty decent.

I'm also in the market for a 22-250. Just can't make up my mind....

Thought you might want to read this....http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-M10PH.htm
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a Model 10 PH in .223. It's a lefty and has the Accustock. Very happy with the accuracy. Really likes the Nosler 69gr HPBT. I wish Savage would offer a stainless version.

4mer....yes i had read that before i bought it. Its all true. The other day my cousin put 5 shots into a 1/4 inch hole using it. My best was about 5/8. A little pricey compared to other savage rifles but at this point i am close to forgetting about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    4mer....yes i had read that before i bought it. Its all true. The other day my cousin put 5 shots into a 1/4 inch hole using it. My best was about 5/8. A little pricey compared to other savage rifles but at this point i am close to forgetting about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Savage has always been the most accurate blue collar rifle brand. I have been attending USBR rifle shoots for about 20 years and watching and enjoying seeing out of the box Savages compete at the same level as top custom guns costing 10X as much.

My favorite rifle is a Savage model 16 lightweight hunter in 7mm-08. It's also the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned. I have been a Ruger nut forever but this morning I sold my Ruger 77 Hawkeye 243 that I worked my butt off trying to find a coyote load for that would group close to an inch. It would shoot 100 grainers into 1.25". We hunt in pretty settled areas often and only very frangible bullets are allowed. 100 grainers will skip like a rock on water while 58 grain V Maxes disintegrate where they land. One of the young guys in the group has been shooting a model 10 in 243 with great success. Last week we bumped into each other in the grocery store parking lot and of course talked coyotes and guns. When he pulled his latest target out from behind the seat......one look made me wonder why I was still fighting the Ruger. I knew of someone wanting a short action Ruger to turn into a 358 Winchester. Now he has one and I placed a bid on Savage to replace it with.

I might add that I am still leery about the Axis. They have a flimsy stock that I can't get over.

My coyote hunting often finds me afoot a long way from the truck. I am not getting any younger so a light weight gun really appeals to me. This is what I will have on my back while following coyote tracks this winter. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=528939301

I might add that they have 19 of these left at this price and everyone else wants $100-$200 more for these. Same gun as a model 10 only lightened up a bunch. They also have them in 223 but no 22-250s. A 223 with a 40 grain bullet at 3600 FPS behaves a whole lot like a 22-250 on coyotes size game.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm also in the market for a 22-250. Just can't make up my mind....

Thought you might want to read this....http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-M10PH.htm
    I've got a Thompson center venture predator in 22-250 and I'm happy with it. It's deadly on deer too and has good accuracy with the right ammo. I've also got a Savage model 10 in 223 and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. I can shoot 10 rounds out of it and have a new target again with a 1" pasty. Your welcome to come and take either one for a test if you'd like to.

Living like kings

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My coyote hunting often finds me afoot a long way from the truck. I am not getting any younger so a light weight gun really appeals to me. This is what I will have on my back while following coyote tracks this winter. www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=528939301

I might add that they have 19 of these left at this price and everyone else wants $100-$200 more for these. Same gun as a model 10 only lightened up a bunch. They also have them in 223 but no 22-250s. A 223 with a 40 grain bullet at 3600 FPS behaves a whole lot like a 22-250 on coyotes size game.
    Rod....you need to empty your message box...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I've got a Thompson center venture predator in 22-250 and I'm happy with it. It's deadly on deer too and has good accuracy with the right ammo. I've also got a Savage model 10 in 223 and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. I can shoot 10 rounds out of it and have a new target again with a 1" pasty. Your welcome to come and take either one for a test if you'd like to.

Living like kings
    Hey Bud..... Still looking around. If I could find this local I would buy it.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=529191823

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Rod....you need to empty your message box...!!!
    Empty now! Sorry about that.
    Spent the weekend in the woods. My I-phone is good for about 1 day out there! Got to shoot a huge ferral cat with my 17WSM. Even my old ears could here the distinct whop. O love little bullets zinging along.

I see I got outbid on the 16 lightweight.....they got more😉