Thread: Finding Open Hunting Land

Default Finding Open Hunting Land

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Alaska in 3 weeks and was wondering how to find land that is open for public small game hunting either in the Valley or on the Kenai. I'm from Wisconsin and do quite a bit of bow hunting and gun hunting for deer but the land ownership is much more complicated in Alaska (feds, state, tribal, etc). Does anyone know of a link with the ADFG or something that shows the open lands? I've noticed that some of the parks/ refuges are closed to hunting and some are open and I'm trying to find an easier way to go about this. I'm not trying to ask for anyone's secret spot or anything, just open areas. I'm really excited to do some grouse and rabbit hunting when I get there! Thanks!

http://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/One...36eea00b08ad48

Google works well... Try opening the game regs too

I don't think there is any land available. I claim all rights to everything between Ingram Creek and Tern Lake that is with-in 25 miles of either side of the Seward Hwy. I think there is some land open in Siberia..........

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess my question now is that within these open areas, how do you know what is privately owned?

Go to the thread I started. All you need is in there. "Land ownership is southeast alaska"

Quote Originally Posted by salmonslayer44 View Post
    Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess my question now is that within these open areas, how do you know what is privately owned?
    there is lots of info out there, but here is the key, most land is public not private! this is not like the lower 48 where all the land is locked up, there are thousands of acres of open land just ready to be hunted! I can post some links to some GIS data that can help you but the links are at my work and I'm too lazy right now to look them up!

We don't hunt animals inside fences up here..... Good luck!

I downloaded the "onyxhunt" app to my phone. Very accurate and worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Finding public land isn't difficult at all...it's everywhere. The bigger challenge is to find areas that aren't overrun/over hunted. That isn't all that difficult either, but generally requires a bit of a drive, especially in the MatSu.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonslayer44 View Post
    Both the Mat-Su and Kenai boroughs have interactive parcel viewers online....search for "kenai parcel viewer" etc. and spend some time. You can also get gps coordinates from these sites. Next step is putting your boots on the ground and scoping the area....per Alaska statute, any unimproved private land not posted with signs is legally accessible, although if the owner asks you to leave you must of course vamoose. Section lines are also public right-of-ways.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Section line easements are reserved by the state when they convey land, and only rarely vacated. But if land went from federal to private ownership then no section line easement get reserved. Homesteads, allotments, etc fall under this category.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all the help. I should have more than enough info now to look at and find some areas to investigate when I get there.

Here is a link to BLMs GIS database of land ownership it helps finding where the native corporations lands are:http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/isdms/imf.jsp?site=sdms

salmonslayer44
    Check your private messages.