Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience Transporting Firearms through Canada?

Default Experience Transporting Firearms through Canada?

I've read about the restrictions on Firearms entry into Canada.

Practically speaking, what has been folks experiences getting permission to transport through Canada to Alaska?

I am thinking of these particular weapons

Benelli M4 12 ga
    Mossberg 590A1 SPX
    S&W 460 Magnum
    Glock 17

I put them all on here to see if anyone had any experience with getting with transporting these.

My fallback is to mail them of course.
    <<Les Garten>>
    I remember March 27, 1964 like it was yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
    I've read about the restrictions on Firearms entry into Canada.

Practically speaking, what has been folks experiences getting permission to transport through Canada to Alaska?

I am thinking of these particular weapons

Benelli M4 12 ga
    Mossberg 590A1 SPX
    S&W 460 Magnum
    Glock 17

I put them all on here to see if anyone had any experience with getting with transporting these.

My fallback is to mail them of course.
    My experience has been that the Canadians are true to their regulations; any guns which comply with the criteria, and are presented with the proper paperwork completed, pass through without issue. Guns which are prohibited, are prohibited.

You state you've read "about" the regulations... Have you read the regulations? They're clear and unambiguous, and will clearly answer all your questions.

Call Canadian Customs and become your very own subject matter expert. Don't listen to what some guy on the internet says.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...through-Canada
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Three easy steps to success and happiness:

• Read regulations here, concerning transporting firearms through Canada as a visitor: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html

• Call Canadian Customs; ensure the form you downloaded is still the current version; inquire to ensure the regulations you read carefully are still current; ask any remaining questions before you embark for the border.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

OP, the best thing to do is to contact the Canadian government and get the 'current' regulations! We have traveled through Canada several times and as long as we followed their regulations we have not had an issue. Of the firearms the you listed, the last two are the ones that you more then likely will not be able to take through Canada.

You did not read the regulations, or least do not understand them based on the firearms you listed. If it is a handgun the barrel must not be shorter than 4.1". Magazines can not exceed 5 rounds, NO auto loading firearms. Bolts must be removed from BA guns, cylinders must be removed from revolvers, shotgun barrels must be no shorter than 18.5". Even air rifles are regulated and must be declared.

Read and reread the restrictions, again.

Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations

Canadian Firearms Program - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

You can mail the long guns to yourself. The handguns must be sent through a common carrier like Fedex or Ups or sent ffl to ffl. Do not mail the hand guns through the post office.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

With the rise in terrorism, border security of many countries is being increased with the hiring and training of many new agents. Some of these agents are rather inexperienced and some of the more seasoned agents may be incompetent or I often see those that seem to have an attitude. So even though you may have done your best to comply with all the regulations, the interpretation of those regulations often changes with the shift change.

I frequently travel through Canada with firearms so I took the time and expense to study and test for a Canadian PAL [possession and acquisition license]. This license has saved me considerable time and money at the border over the last decade.

Further to your concerns regarding Canadian Firearms Regulations, be aware that US Customs has changed their attitude since Canada dropped firearms registration. When leaving US prior to entering Canada, it's a good idea to get CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION FOR PERSONAL EFFECTS TAKEN ABROAD [form OMB No. 1651-0010] signed/stamped by US Customs. As you reenter the US, this form can make your day much easier. That certificate is valid for that item forever.

Other than that, for the items you are listing, I'd forget transporting through Canada.

I was curious about the autoloading shotgun and the pump shotgun the most.

One has a Field type stock, the Benelli

The other has a Magpul stock and forend

These shotguns do not look like bird guns. They look like Tactical shotguns

The Fifth wheel I have is my Full time house.

I have Bayonets as well. Don't know where they stand on them. Prbably need to leave those with "someone"

I will have to leave a lot of Guns with "Somebody" in Montana before I cross the border.

The reloading stuff I have looks to be legal to have. It's not a lot.

I would like to be able to transport the Benelli and the Mossberg but I think they would freak if they saw them.

Attachment 87568

Attachment 87569
    <<Les Garten>>

Glock and S&W are NO-GO . . . it can be done but totally isn't worth the licensing trouble as they are "restricted" firearms. They are not prohibited but restricted which is similar to suppressers and machineguns here, loads of paperwork.

I think your shotguns are okay (500 okay but wondering about the M4) but call the border crossing you are going to and talk to the Canada Customs guy/gal there about them. Legal guns are not easy to take through Canada to Alaska, western Canadians are not as firearms phobic as most Americans think.

*******Important!*******
    As you leave/exit America pull over at the US port of entry before entering Canada and walk across the road to the ICE office and declare your guns there, fill out a form and get a copy of that for when you re-enter the US wherever that may be. ICE doesn't stop you going out but if you have guns you better stop there anyway!

I had an issue last summer in Montana as I re-entered the US. The ICE guy asked if I had firearms and I said yes, he asked for that form which I didn't have. I showed him the Canadian form and he said "that doesn't prove that you didn't get these guns in Canada and make a U-turn in no-man's-land to file that with the RCMP. I need prof that you are not importing these firearms without an ITAR license." Lucky I am an FFL and had my log books with me and the acquisition page accounted for all of them proving they were American not Canadian firearms. It was a sticky deal because nobody told me to get that form as I exited the US!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What if my Glock and SW had 5" Barrels? Same deal?

I could take my Glock 34 instead of the 17.

It's interesting that you think that the Mossberg would get in. It is the Combat shotgun of the US military, It's not a 500, it's a 590A1 SPX

The less that I can mail/ship the better I'd feel.
    <<Les Garten>>

Did you not read the links I provided for you in posts 2 & 3? I've already spoon fed the forms and regulation page. Should I excerpt each specific answer from the form and quote them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    You did not read the regulations, or least do not understand..... Read and reread the restrictions, again.
    #Resist

The magazine capacity of long guns is tricky reading in the regs. I took two M92 Win with 10 rd tube mags without problems. If I remember right semi auto long guns can only have 5 rd mags. All hand guns are restricted or prohibited and require a second bit of paper work that must be ok'd before you hit the border. The only way to be certain is to call the RCMP border folks and ask then copy the reg he quotes and take that with you to the border. Then if there is a question they can call the RCMP folks for clarification. When and where are you planning on going through Canada? I just bought a house at Eureka MT if you need to drop some things off for a while. Although sooner or later you are going to have to figure out how to get things where you are going. As was already stated be sure to report to the US border folks going in to Canada what guns you are taking in. Be real careful copying serial number correctly, they do check them when reentering US.

I could take my Glock 34 instead of the 17.

It's interesting that you think that the Mossberg would get in. It is the Combat shotgun of the US military, It's not a 500, it's a 590A1 SPX

The less that I can mail/ship the better I'd feel.
    All handguns fall into "restricted" or "prohibited" classes in Canada.

Restricted is similar to our NFA items here, they are aloud only with boo-coo paperwork and licensing. I think you need a training certification class as well as an extensive background and sign away your life then watch your mail a couple weeks or maybe years for a license to show up . . . then you can apply for an import permit and watch your mail a couple more weeks or years till Toronto gets back to you on that part. Hundreds of dollars, days of classes, time watching the Canadian bureaucratic grass grow just isn't worth it to transport your handguns.

Prohibited means PROHIBITED! Don't even think about it unless your fond of living most of the rest of your life in a Canadian prison. Guns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that fire .25 or .32 caliber ammunition are classified as PROHIBITED in Canada!

The Mossberg is a pump not an auto, doesn't matter that it looks like evil it's just a pump. With an auto they get picky about mag capacity and such but not with pumps, levers, and bolts. Your 590A1 is just a 500 with a thicker barrel, magazine, and the old pre-plastic 500 trigger group . . . both are 500 series guns for 3" and most parts interchange onto the receivers plug-n-play.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    All handguns fall into "restricted" or "prohibited" classes in Canada.

Restricted is similar to our NFA items here, they are aloud only with boo-coo paperwork and licensing. I think you need a training certification class as well as an extensive background and sign away your life then watch your mail a couple weeks or maybe years for a license to show up . . . then you can apply for an import permit and watch your mail a couple more weeks or years till Toronto gets back to you on that part. Hundreds of dollars, days of classes, time watching the Canadian bureaucratic grass grow just isn't worth it to transport your handguns.

Prohibited means PROHIBITED! Don't even think about it unless your fond of living most of the rest of your life in a Canadian prison. Guns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that fire .25 or .32 caliber ammunition are classified as PROHIBITED in Canada!

The Mossberg is a pump not an auto, doesn't matter that it looks like evil it's just a pump. With an auto they get picky about mag capacity and such but not with pumps, levers, and bolts. Your 590A1 is just a 500 with a thicker barrel, magazine, and the old pre-plastic 500 trigger group . . . both are 500 series guns for 3" and most parts interchange onto the receivers plug-n-play.
    If I could take the Mossberg that would be fine. It seems like a 5" Glock with a 10 RD magazine would fall on the restricted list. And you're saying it's really hard to get that OK'd?

If I can carry the Mossberg through I would be happy to ship the handguns. I can live without taking the Benelli if I have to. I am planning for about 5 months in Alaska. April to Sept.
    <<Les Garten>>

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The magazine capacity of long guns is tricky reading in the regs. I took two M92 Win with 10 rd tube mags without problems. If I remember right semi auto long guns can only have 5 rd mags. All hand guns are restricted or prohibited and require a second bit of paper work that must be ok'd before you hit the border. The only way to be certain is to call the RCMP border folks and ask then copy the reg he quotes and take that with you to the border. Then if there is a question they can call the RCMP folks for clarification. When and where are you planning on going through Canada? I just bought a house at Eureka MT if you need to drop some things off for a while. Although sooner or later you are going to have to figure out how to get things where you are going. As was already stated be sure to report to the US border folks going in to Canada what guns you are taking in. Be real careful copying serial number correctly, they do check them when reentering US.
    Good information.

I have a lot of "stuff" that will need to be stored(for 5-6 months) in MT somewhere before I cross the border. Then some stuff will need to be shipped as well to AL as well, and then back again to MT. I'll most likely try to locate reputable long standing Gun shops on each side to help out there.

Thanx for the offer to store.
    <<Les Garten>>

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Did you not read the links I provided for you in posts 2 & 3? I've already spoon fed the forms and regulation page. Should I excerpt each specific answer from the form and quote them as well?
    I did read the links. I had read those before the post. But there's nothing like real world experience for what really happens.

For instance, it is "possible" to get a CCW in NYC, Chicago, and DC according to the forms. See how that works out in real life though.

So I was interested in people's experience trying to get "Black" guns a ticket for admission.

So if someone were to rate the chances for admission of these 2 guns, what would the chances be?

Glock 34, a 5" 9mm with 10 RD magazine

Mossberg 590A1 20" Barrel with 8 Round Magazine
    <<Les Garten>>

AL = Alabama
    AK = Alaska
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    AL = Alabama
    AK = Alaska

ooops, my Bad!

And I've lived for sometiime in both states!
    <<Les Garten>>

I did read the links. I had read those before the post. But there's nothing like real world experience...So I was interested in people's experience trying to get "Black" guns a ticket for admission.

So if someone were to rate the chances for admission of these 2 guns, what would the chances be?

Glock 34, a 5" 9mm with 10 RD magazine

Mossberg 590A1 20" Barrel with 8 Round Magazine
    I don't know what more to tell you. You can do what I posted in #3 and have your answer, or you can waste your time begging for internet speculation. My experience has been that your guns either fall into the "prohibited" category, as clearly defined in the regs you say you've already read, or they don't, period. Nothing having to do with "chances". If you're guns do not meet the definition of a"prohibited", then you do what I posted in #3; call the number and speak with Customs in advance to discuss the guns you wish to transport, fill out declaration form 909 and preset it at the Customs entry station, pay the $25 fee, receive an Authorization To Transport form (good for 60 days), and are on your way. That's it. No more, no less.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast