Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Bison

Default Delta Bison

First attempt to fill my daughters Delta Bison Tag - saw our first herd within 5 minutes of arriving. 2nd herd a couple hours later. Day 2 we had figured out what they were doing and after a couple hours watching she was able to take a nice cow. The weather was great and the Bison cooperative - It was a great hunt and I couldn't be more proud of that kid - Another 1 shot kill.

dad & Jaimie.jpgIMG_9789.jpg

Excellent! Looks like quite a large cow. Congratulations to the young hunter!

Congrats Raven! Lots of good eating there.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats some fine eating
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Congrats. What firearm/caliber/bullet?

Congratulations. that sounds like a great hunt.

Congrats, that is a good looking large cow! Good eating for sure!!!

I was in Delta this weekend too trying to fill a tag. Pleasant weather, and nice scenery. We saw sign, but no animals.

She uses a Winchester Model 70 30-06 and prefers 180 grain bullets but they make you use 220 grain bullets on this hunt. I would have to look at the box to see what bullet it was - We bought one box of the 220 grain bullets years ago when my wife drew her first Bison Tag and still had 1/2 of them left.

Since I chatted with you in the field, I've seen herds every day. The wolves are still tracking up the area every night and I had one howl yesterday. When I answered, he/she came out in the field about a half mile off and spotted me.......we carried on a conversation for 20 minutes.

Your daughter did a great job!......very nice bison.

Thanks Vern - we did see one of the critters you were looking for - it had a nice little necklace
    IMG_9751.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Thanks Vern - we did see one of the critters you were looking for - it had a nice little necklace
    IMG_9751.jpg
    Interesting picture. That's a coyote, not a wolf. You probably knew that, but your friend Vern said he saw wolf tracks and heard wolves howling, not coyotes. I wonder what the collar is for. I wonder if it's a nuisance coyote or if fish and feathers in Delta is doing studies on coyotes. By the way, real nice Bison. I am very jealous. Nice job helping your daughter fill her tag. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter and how much does she weigh? The reason why I am asking is because I want to know how old a young hunter should be before applying for this tag and for using a 30-06 with a 220 grain bullet. Thanks for posting the pictures. They are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    First attempt to fill my daughters Delta Bison Tag - saw our first herd within 5 minutes of arriving. 2nd herd a couple hours later. Day 2 we had figured out what they were doing and after a couple hours watching she was able to take a nice cow. The weather was great and the Bison cooperative - It was a great hunt and I couldn't be more proud of that kid - Another 1 shot kill.

dad & Jaimie.jpgIMG_9789.jpg
    Was it on private property or did you get lucky and find it on public...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Was it on private property or did you get lucky and find it on public...???
    Judging from the background behind the herd............she got hers in the Bison Range, which is public.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

congratulations. I really love seeing the kids hunt pix! Fantastic animal- would love to hear more & will watch for answers to the questions already asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Interesting picture. That's a coyote, not a wolf. You probably knew that, but your friend Vern said he saw wolf tracks and heard wolves howling, not coyotes. I wonder what the collar is for. I wonder if it's a nuisance coyote or if fish and feathers in Delta is doing studies on coyotes. By the way, real nice Bison. I am very jealous. Nice job helping your daughter fill her tag. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter and how much does she weigh? The reason why I am asking is because I want to know how old a young hunter should be before applying for this tag and for using a 30-06 with a 220 grain bullet. Thanks for posting the pictures. They are awesome.
    UAF is doing a study on coyotes down that way.

Very aware that the pic is a coyote.......the conversation twixt Raven and myself left some confusion.

Several answers -
    Yes I am aware it is a coyote - When Vern and I were chatting he was looking for Coyotes about 500 yards from where this picture was taken. Had it been a wolf the pictures wouldn't have been of it standing looking at us

My daughter is now 21 and weighs 100 pounds soaking wet. She has previously shot 4 moose with the 30-06. My wife also shot her Bison with the same rifle and she is also small. Shortened the stock, better recoil pad, and a dreaded muzzle break - It shoots extremely well with a very manageable recoil. This was the 2nd year she put in for the Bison hunt - getting out of school and having the time to go is the tough part for her. Having the moose hunting experience was a big benefit - You don't get a 2nd chance for 10 years minimum now so you want to assure they have a reasonable chance of filling the tag.

The Bison was shot on private land, the owners fortunately let people hunt there - he simply asks that you stay off the fields in your vehicle, away from the house, and remove the gut pile from the fields. This can lead to more than one party in the same area which happened in this case when another hunter walked into the field behind the herd right before she had her chance to take a shot.

The toughest part of the hunt once you find the herd is identifying a cow and getting a good shot - Hopefully when I finally draw a tag it will be a Bull, that would make it easier. This one took 2 hours of crawling and laying in the snow to identify and get the shot. The best bet is to figure out where they are headed and get ahead of them and wait for them to come - no luck trying to catch up to them.

One piece of advice to those still looking - the long hair and deep chest on the Bison tend to be deceiving and caused her to shoot a little low - this resulted in the cow moving off with the herd and led to some tracking through the woods that added to the work load.

Nothing more rewarding for me than hunting with my Daughter! She can certainly shoot better than I can.

Tonight is Bison Burgers with blue cheese.

This is awesome. The real "trophy" is the time spent with your daughter but the meat, hide, and head are very special. I am curious what your plans are for the hide and head. Do most people tan the entire hide?

I think I would tan the hide and do a European mount of the head.

I guess I won't get a shot at that coyote as it was hit by a car shortly after the pic was taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast