Thread: Kicker Question for 27' Bayliner Discovery

Default Kicker Question for 27' Bayliner Discovery

Hey Fellas,

My wife has given me the green light to purchase a nice kicker for my 27' bayliner discovery. I have a fiberglass swim step that currently holds a big yeti type cooler that I use for my live-well. There is a kicker plate on that swim step for a kicker, but the guy who had it before me just put a 3hp on there for his dingy on the roof.

My question is what type of kicker should I get for my 27' bayliner? Long shaft of course, but does the fiberglass swim step have enough umph to hold say a 25hp kicker? I like the way my main engine trolls, so it wouldn't be for that, this is a get home/get safe motor. Thanks

joe

I like the Yamaha T25 and also the Evinrude ETEC 15hp H.O. (high thrust model built on a 25hp motor). I know a few people who have Bayliner 2859s and use the various high thrust 8hp 9.9 models (also the Honda Power 15-20hp Thrust models). They all only really seem to push the boat at a fast troll speed. The swim step bracket is a pretty solid one though. The Yamaha T25 is a big motor, the ETEC weighs less, and the other more standard 8s and 9.9s less still. The Hondas are between the ETEC and smaller high thrust outboards in weight.

An easy steer outboard to I/O connection is the standard way to go. You don't need remote controls, tiller steer and tiller throttle is fine, but you do need electric start.

Sobie2

I have a mercury Bigfoot 15hp on my Bayliner 2556, it does good and will push the boat about 5-6kts. Not a speed demon but it'll get me back home if need be. You won't need a 25hp motor to push your boat once you get it to hull speed you'll need enough hp to get it on step to really gain anymore speed out of it. A 15hp and a 100hp is going to push your boat almost the same speed.
    I went with a long shaft and mounted on my swim step it works just fine but I do wish I had gone with an extra long shaft as mine will start to cavitate in choppy water.
    The easy steer is the way to go. The system works and the guy that makes them has a great warranty on them with no questions asked.

Living like kings

I was just online looking at those, and they looked kinda funny from BravoIII to a swimstep mounted kicker. Does that bar mess with the performance of the main engine when I need to get up and go? Or is this something you put on in a needed situation?

I have one on a cobra to a swim step mounted kicker and it works just fine. They self adjust so they ratchet in and out so I just leave mine on all the time and it works great.

Living like kings

No matter which kicker you buy they will only push your boat at hull speed.
    If you want to go faster you need enough horse power to plane your boat.
    I have a Yamaha High thrust 9.9 on my Skipjack it weighs about 8000lbs loaded. My max speed is just over 5knts.
    When I first bought this boat I put a 25hp Merc. My max speed was 6knts.
    Save money and weight buy the Yamaha High Thrust.
    I have the Yamaha helm control for throttle and starting.
    I have the Easy Steer rod connected to my outdrive. My auto pilot will work with this setup.
    I can troll on auto and not have to worry about staying on the steering wheel.

I get that it will go the same speed due to the hull speed, but is it enough thrust to turn a big bodied boat. With a 35K head wind it will want to push your bow in a direction and my worst fear is not having enough thrust to turn the big boat fast enough. I get it will go in a straight line with the same speed, but will it have the umph to turn into waves fast enough?

Joe

You will have a hard time with any kicker to do anything in any wind over 10kts let alone 35kts. I know guys that have twin 150's that if they loose one motor they can only turn one way.

I have a 26 Hewescraft PC with a Yami 300 main and a yami 25 kicker. I've had a 9.9 on a similar boat and am very glad I went with the 25HT. It obviously won't get the boat on step but it does push her along at a fairly good clip in wind and current. Nice to have the extra ponies and the weight isn't that much more than a 9.9.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I guess if you consider another 100 pounds which is almost twice as much as the 9.9 not much more, then go for the 25. I personally wouldn't consider putting a 25 hp on a swim step bracket without beefing it up a bunch. The OP should go on the Bayliners owner forum to see what others have done.