Thread: Documented vessels

Default Documented vessels

Was curious what others with D-vessels are doing about posting your registration numbers. Regs state one is to post numbers in the cabin at least 3 inches in size. Is everyone actually doing this? Has anyone every been boarded and this become an issue? Thanks

I have had it be an issue in the past. that was how I found out about the regulation. I just put the numbers on a little board and screwed them up on the wall inside the cabin.

You can find the USCG requirements here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#15

"The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area"

The important part is: "The number must be permanently affixed"

I am not in the USCG but I don't think twodogs solution meets the requirement of the regulation.

My boat is documented, it is aluminum and the NO is welded into a structural member of the hull and I have been boarded without any problems.

Interior can be inside engine compartment or other compartment outside cabin also or storage under floor somewhere

I put stick on letters on the back wall in my bilge and then epoxied a piece of clear lean over them. Coast Guard seemed happy when I got checked this summer.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I got one of these placards and screwed it to an interior wall in the cabin. It's very clean looking.

http://documentedvessel.com/

I had a plate with the numbers welded up by Cash's and then epoxied and riveted it to the back side wall of the battery compartment. Looks super clean.

Interesting enough I was just searching for a boat the other day and the only thing I had to go on was the boats name. I then did a search to find out the boat history and found it to be documented. Not trying to high jack but was looking over the fees for the COD and transfer COD and since this boat is a 39' sailboat can someone tell me the pros/cons of having it documented versus having it registered with the DMV? It appeared to be more money to have it documented and that is also a annual fee. Any insight on this would be helpful.
    Regards

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Interesting enough I was just searching for a boat the other day and the only thing I had to go on was the boats name. I then did a search to find out the boat history and found it to be documented. Not trying to high jack but was looking over the fees for the COD and transfer COD and since this boat is a 39' sailboat can someone tell me the pros/cons of having it documented versus having it registered with the DMV? It appeared to be more money to have it documented and that is also a annual fee. Any insight on this would be helpful.
    Regards
    Sweetpint,
    Read through this:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...umented+vessel
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

We had to have ours doccumented to get the loan on it. It was required by the bank and we are now stuck with it until the loan is paid off.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson